Voss as a new player race could bring much to the table

Macetheace

No. Have you seen how tall they are? It makes no sense to have them as a playable race.

You're confusing the Voss with a race that actually is tall.

Given all the lore breaking issues that they'll blow past with making them playable you honestly think a feature of theirs (that 90% of the player population probably never noticed) is going to stop Bioware from making them playable?

It's going to be far weirder seeing Body Type 3 and Body Type 4 Voss characters than them being slightly shorter.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

voss wookie or actual droid race would be my top choices

can roleplay droid with the cybernetics but its just not the same as being a full droid as in some cut scnes it auto takes your helm off and you look retarded human head with droid body

voss wookie or actual droid race would be my top choices

can roleplay droid with the cybernetics but its just not the same as being a full droid as in some cut scnes it auto takes your helm off and you look retarded human head with droid body

Even if you were able to keep your helmet on or actually play as droid there's still scenes where your immersion would be broken like any time the force gets used to confuse or choke you. Any thing that makes you faint or collapse would also seem weird too. Of course there's the whole using the force as a droid.

Had the game been more successful I think droids would've/could've been something they added as a class. Around when the game launched they mentioned a similar notion about Wookies saying that they would probably work better as their own class. What actual class role either would fulfill I don't know.

On a practical level, there is a fourth criteria as well:

4) Needs to be able to use the existing voice tracks without seeming like 'Hercules in New York'. For those who don't already know, this was one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's first films, and since he was a largely unknown Austrian body builder playing a Greek god, they dubbed in someone else speaking his lines. Of course, now that pretty much everyone know exactly how Arnold's voice sounds, it is just plain hilarious to watch him open his mouth and hear someone else's voice come out...

THIS is the real problem with adding Voss as a playable race:

1. It would be rather expensive to add new voice tracks to EVERY character conversation, current and future.
  2. If they use the existing voice track, then people who are currently calling for the Voss to be added will be complaining about how their Voss smuggler sounds like a wise-cracking human.

I don't typically see a lot of Cathar around, so I'm not certain there is enough of a 'return on investment' for Bioware to seriously consider dedicating the resources to making 'option 1' happen, and 'option 2' is probably considered likely to alienate more players than it pleases, thus BioWare's best option is to move on to something that has at least a chance of working out.

Well, the Voss speak Basic, so that's not a problem. The problem with voice overs is with species such as Jawas, Wookies, Rodians, Gamorreans, Genosians, etc., in which very few, if any, speak Basic. That really would be immersion breaking and would take away much of the atmosphere of the game, in which one of its major strengths is its voice acting.

Even if you were able to keep your helmet on or actually play as droid there's still scenes where your immersion would be broken like any time the force gets used to confuse or choke you. Any thing that makes you faint or collapse would also seem weird too. Of course there's the whole using the force as a droid.

Had the game been more successful I think droids would've/could've been something they added as a class. Around when the game launched they mentioned a similar notion about Wookies saying that they would probably work better as their own class. What actual class role either would fulfill I don't know.

Darth you answered what I was thinking when I read the above posts. Wookie is the only race I could even halfway get behind but I'll admit I'd rather they spent the effort on more content rather than a new race. ...and Wookies would be odd, since they don't speak basic. What do female wookies look like? How do you get around the romance options? I think its a bit too much trouble for something cosmetic.

But then I don't know why people want voss as a player race either. It contradicts the story and its not like they're that interesting in the first place. Since they don't exactly speak in plain 'english' wouldn't you have to get new voice acting? Some lines by the character classes would just be out of place coming from a voss.

...and yeah, I know there are people that really like this idea, but in my own personal opinion, a droid player character option is just stupid.

Well, the Voss speak Basic, so that's not a problem. The problem with voice overs is with species such as Jawas, Wookies, Rodians, Gamorreans, Genosians, etc., in which very few, if any, speak Basic. That really would be immersion breaking and would take away much of the atmosphere of the game, in which one of its major strengths is its voice acting.

Another issue, as pointed out already though, is that even though Voss speak basic, their speech pattern is pretty much NOT what you'd call "standard" for most species.

There's a reason why Darth Serevin says, at one point, they're succinct; One of their MANY virtues. :p

Another issue, as pointed out already though, is that even though Voss speak basic, their speech pattern is pretty much NOT what you'd call "standard" for most species.

There's a reason why Darth Serevin says, at one point, they're succinct; One of their MANY virtues. :p

A Voss smuggler would be just.....weird....

Even if they did, there's no guarantee that it would be successful. That's the problem. In fact it's always been one of TOR's biggest problems from the start. EA put that much money behind it because there's no way they thought it could fail.

You're basically asking EA to do something they tried and failed at. One of the biggest failures in the company's history if not thee biggest. I say failure in the sense that it didn't do nearly what they were expecting.

the wise person, or the wiser you get the more you realize that there are really no guarantees with things like that, all you have really is hope. Hope and a dream, and you shut your doubts down and just go for it. You have to take a chance, a leap of faith if you want to make a big impact even if you don't know what would happen. Do you trust that what you are putting your faith in would come through? if so then go for it and stop being burdened by "it might not work"

Whenever I think of a Voss as a SW or a Smuggler, my reaction is this...

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130405210153/degrassi/images/7/75/Eyeroll.gif

Really does not compute you. :p

It's already bad when you're like me and all your characters no based off someone already use the same face scar hair color etc but different voices appear.

True, but I can think of other species that are way worse in that regard *cough*Gree*cough*

Anyway, I'd say that the lore/storyline problems that arise (that Voss are supposed to be newly discovered and still elusive, with not many offworld yet) and seeing them all over OM/Tython and NH/Korriban for example, are far bigger problems that the voice overs.

True, but I can think of other species that are way worse in that regard *cough*Gree*cough*

Anyway, I'd say that the lore/storyline problems that arise (that Voss are supposed to be newly discovered and still elusive, with not many offworld yet) and seeing them all over OM/Tython and NH/Korriban for example, are far bigger problems that the voice overs.

As also mentioned already, the lore aspect is not something that will occupy most people's thoughts IMHO.

You have Chiss walking around on Tython and Ord Mantell and that hardly makes any sense as well. Plus, like I mentioned earlier, Bioware threw the lore out of the window even before the game was released.

The Zabraak species was NOT available to SW's. The Chiss could only be played by an IA. Sith Pureblood were not available for Sith Inquisitors and so forth...

Ultimately, it will be some minor - or major(!) - technical and challenging aspect that will dissuade them, nothing more, including the voice overs.

Wait... :eek:

Every single character of yours has the same face, scars, hair style and color?

Only the ones who are Human! Aside From Garrett Hawke and Snake and Iron Man and Izzy Darkclaw the one I made in tribute to my brother who passed away who never got to play this game because he died a month before the release.

As also mentioned already, the lore aspect is not something that will occupy most people's thoughts IMHO.

You have Chiss walking around on Tython and Ord Mantell and that hardly makes any sense as well. Plus, like I mentioned earlier, Bioware threw the lore out of the window even before the game was released.

The Zabraak species was NOT available to SW's. The Chiss could only be played by an IA. Sith Pureblood were not available for Sith Inquisitors and so forth...

Ultimately, it will be some minor - or major(!) - technical and challenging aspect that will dissuade them, nothing more, including the voice overs.

Considering their Korriban Trailer shows Malgus's master as a pureblood Assassin...

the wise person, or the wiser you get the more you realize that there are really no guarantees with things like that, all you have really is hope. Hope and a dream, and you shut your doubts down and just go for it. You have to take a chance, a leap of faith if you want to make a big impact even if you don't know what would happen. Do you trust that what you are putting your faith in would come through? if so then go for it and stop being burdened by "it might not work"

EA will take risks, just in other areas, ie new IPs and what not.

Considering their Korriban Trailer shows Malgus's master as a pureblood Assassin...

That trailer was made after they made the decision to allow Purebloods to be Sith Inquisitors. Also that character's story was different than that of the Sith Inquisitor's. Him being a Pureblood didn't conflict with anything.

Originally only the Sith Warrior had the option to be a Pureblood. Inquisitors didn't have the option originally due to them starting out as a slave. The lore they created for Purebloods basically positioned them like royalty and a rarity as a race so it made no sense that one of would be a slave, but a lot of people complained and Bioware altered the opening crawl for the Sith Inquisitor to justify why a Pureblood could be a slave.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

Except that the Voss, however, are quite a lot worse in this regard. With the species you mentioned, as someone already pointed out, you're talking at most a few lines of dialogue that seem out of place. With the Voss, however, you're talking about a whole planet, whole storylines, etc. Also, it would make very little sense for Voss to be all over the greater galaxy when they were pretty much just discovered (or rediscovered, w/e) a few years before the events of the game. I'm typically pretty flexible when it comes to lore, and even I can see what a huge problem that would cause.

Also, you're talking about simply fitting existing playable species into different classes, which is pretty little of a stretch, if at all (eg. what was stopping Zabraks from being SWs? or Sith Purebloods from being Inquisitors, etc. in the first place?) How, exactly, was the lore violated by making them playable as those classes?

Except that the Voss, however, are quite a lot worse in this regard. With the species you mentioned, as someone already pointed out, you're talking at most a few lines of dialogue that seem out of place. With the Voss, however, you're talking about a whole planet, whole storylines, etc. Also, it would make very little sense for Voss to be all over the greater galaxy when they were pretty much just discovered (or rediscovered, w/e) a few years before the events of the game. I'm typically pretty flexible when it comes to lore, and even I can see what a huge problem that would cause.

Also, you're talking about simply fitting existing playable species into different classes, which is pretty little of a stretch, if at all (eg. what was stopping Zabraks from being SWs? or Sith Purebloods from being Inquisitors, etc. in the first place?) How, exactly, was the lore violated by making them playable as those classes?

A lightsaber functions like a glowing bat in this game and not the deadly one hit kill weapon we know it to be.

In other words it's a video game and not everything makes sense. Your species doesn't effect anything, it's cosmetic.

The player is playing their class, not their species. You are the Hero of Tython, Champion of The Great Hunt, etc, etc. The race part doesn't matter. It's been like this since launch.

@OP - So far we have shades of yellow and green with tattoos humanoids, white to black humanoids, blue humanoids, bald pale white humanoids, red humanoids with horns.

What will Voss bring? Red humanoids with blue corpse wide tattoos and blue humanoids with red corpse wide tattoos? We already have blue simple humanoids and red with black tattoos.

Voss won`t bring anything past the first 5 minutes of "Whoaaaaaaaah! New skin and tats colors!". You will be one more red humanoid figure among Purebloods and Zabraks, or one more blue figure among Chiss, or one pale face among the Rattataki ones. Pfft.

I know I can squeeze more entertainment from a full Cyborg armor set than yet another humanoid. At least people can jest about "What happened to your spleen or backbone?" instead of "What happened to your hair?".

Edited by Styxx

Pass. I bought cathar only to support the idea of more species options. But I did this because I want more from the movies. If Voss is the next option I will not spend my money on it.

Nautolan, Mon Calamari, Devaronian, Rodian - I'd shell out good money for any one of these.

Pass. I bought cathar only to support the idea of more species options. But I did this because I want more from the movies. If Voss is the next option I will not spend my money on it.

Nautolan, Mon Calamari, Devaronian, Rodian - I'd shell out good money for any one of these.

Pretty much, though I did actually make one (a Trooper) it didn't live long enough to see the Republic fleet. I stumbled at the mission where the guy wants to tell you what a Cathar is and never managed to get back into the flow to keep playing it.

okay, a lot of us like the Voss, for me, they are at the top of my list for either a new species or next companion. I have witnessed several discussions on server general chat, and a lot of people seem to agree on this, they would really like that race.

but, the Voss being introduced will actually introduced some very welcome character customizations and extra detail currently absent.

For e.g.

1. Tall and slender model option.

Yep you got it, the Voss are tall, but they're not size 3 male bulky, with them we could conceivable be able to create tall characters that aren't bulky. Your Anakin Skywalker, Count Dooku, and many of the Jedi of the movie are Tall and slender strong, you do get the tall juggernaut types that the size 3 model is like, Darth Vader is tall and powerful for e.g. and your typical army Commando fits that bill

but this option has been long since requested and sought after to add to the character creation or customizationopton.

2. Male Adam's apples, a minor thing, but when you look at character detail, this option on males just kinda makes you go "wow, they did REALLY well to get into this amount of detail" - it gives hope that they would give a body/chest hair option to male toons so you have altenratives to looking like one of those fully waxed girly like male models should you be wearing gear that exposes your chest/arms/legs

but saying that the adam's apple, like the crotch bulge is detail that raises the uniqueness of this game. Just like the scars give faces character and detail. Currently only Twi'lek size 1 males and Voss have adam's apples, so like the size 3 but slim model, the inclusion of the Voss as a new species may actually make this available to most male races. cos tbh, a slim/fit built guy looks a bit weird without one, and it's a detail again, lesser designers don't incl b/c their product can't cope or their artists just don't have the bigger vision

3. More face options. The voss have a unique face i havne't noticed on other races, i.e. i think they used a different model, so chances are we may get at least 1 new face for several races, as the voss will clearly get several of the faces from other races customised for them. it is my hope that should they do this, they'd adapt some of the other faces available in game to several races so you get more face options to choose from.

So, a Voss playable race would probably bring the biggest jump in character detail and options that no other race would have probably provided. They are porbably breathing a sigh of relieve that when our advanature starts, Voss is a newly discovered planet recently. we don't discover Voss after startingi Chapter 3, it's already been discovered and we just join our factions efforts to win the Voss as a people to their cause. This also makes the Voss ideally suitable for both Factions too.

Blue and Red Voss. - currently, Blue male Voss seem to be Republic leaning - the rpeublic specific msisions, the Consular and SMuggler class story, whenever yousee the Voss interact in content both factions are involved, when htey are in favour of the Republic a blue male Voss is used

Conversly when they're in favour of the Empire, the red female Voss is used, whether it's the Battle of Ilum flashpoint, the Inquistor Storyline, the NPCs dealing in favor with the EMpire are red and female, where the males showing up tend to oppose the Empire's motive.

This leads me think that when they become playable or we have a companion, the EMpire will have red skin options, the Republic blue, and if its companion, the republic will have a male blue Voss the Empire a female red Voss, either way, i'd definitely roll a Voss. and change some of my toons to a tall slender build.

I don't think the Voss would be the most popular choice for new race. I think most would be disappointed for another exotic colored humanoid species. It seems most are really craving something more alien like Nautolons, Togruta, Kel-dor etc. Also new faces or a thin body type 3 that the voss display can be added at any time to the other races. I don't understand why they have not already. I dont know if having adams apple would make any difference, maybe for some uber roleplayers who are very meticulous about every detail of their toon's appearence. Also dooku would be closer to a thin body type 3 not Anakin. Dooku is 6'5 and Anakin is 6'0 maybe 6'1 and he would be closer to a body type 2.

The devs have said many times in many places that if a species is not both humanoid and capable of speaking Basic, it will NEVER be playable. That means no Mon Calamari or Rodians. Devaronians and Nautolans will suffer from clipping issues, but are probably a possibility, as are Togruta. Voss are unlikely due to their voices needing to be heavily modulated or possibly even re-recorded for cutscenes.

I don't think the Voss would be the most popular choice for new race.

They're not, but they're far less time consuming to build into the character creation system than any of the non playable races that are currently in the game.

I think most would be disappointed for another exotic colored humanoid species. It seems most are really craving something more alien like Nautolons, Togruta, Kel-dor etc.

People will be disappointed by it. There is an upside to them doing races like Cathar and Voss before stuff like Togruta and Nautolans though and that is the fact that by doing the simpler races first it potentially means they'll learn how to do the more complicated races better and quicker.

The other "upside" is that after they do the Voss the next race after them basically has to be something with a different head shape. In other words there aren't any more "simple" races in the game after the Voss. Of course the bad part about that is that we probably won't see that race until 2015.

Also new faces or a thin body type 3 that the voss display can be added at any time to the other races. I don't understand why they have not already.

Adding a new (naked) body type isn't hard or time consuming. The part that is however is having to redo all the existing armors to fit that body and making sure that it doesn't conflict or present a problem with any other part of the game, ie animations, cutscenes, mounts, etc.

Voss are unlikely modulated

Not really.

due to their voices needing to be heavily

It's an effect just like the voice modulation with helmets.

Adding it to the existing voices is basically clicking a checkbox in the creation tools.

They'd be just adding the Voss filter to the existing voices.

or possibly even re-recorded for cutscenes.

Nope. It's not that complicated, not even in the slightest.