My respec costs 36550 credits now

Skaarrj

So is there an answer to this question lol? theres a million posts.

And to say 1 thing, respecing is definitly necessary for classes. In every other mmo the raids are different and different skills will be better or not in different instances. If you really know your class youll want to utilize all the functionallity of it.

Would love to know the cap though Im at 11k this past spec

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since dual-speccing never becomes useless, your argument must be fundamentally flawed somewhere. Can you find it?

I cannot. This paragraph was addressing respec costs not dual spec. Upon rereading, I do realize that point is not clearly conveyed until the last sentence. I agree dual spec is never useless, however I do not agree that it should be implemented in the same way as WoW. Autoswitch on entering PvP area seems like a good idea and that's as far as I can agree.

No, it does not reset weekly.

No, there is no "cap" in the traditional sense.

No, it does not go up to infinity.

Here's what happened to me yesterday:

I had already spent a good amount of credits respeccing, and I was at the point where it cost 99.8k. Being 50, you have around a million to throw around, so I didn't even blink.

The game did not remove those credits from my purse. I did get the points back. And now the cost is back at 0; it will presumably run through the same cycle again.

Yes, I think a dual spec would be nice. I also think PvP brackets and a proper LFG tool would be nice, and I don't care about your Everquest-style "make the game tough, make choices matter" bull. This isn't 2000, this is 2011, we've progressed past that point, either get over it or go back and play EQ2 again, it's free now.

And to clarify, when I say "dual spec", I don't necessarily mean the WoW system, copy-and-paste. I'd be perfectly fine with the present system, just give me the opportunity to save the UIs for multiple respecs, and don't make me reenter the talents all the time. Heck, all I really want is a functionality like the old "Talented" addon from WoW: pre dualspec, it let you play around with and save talent builds, Wowhead-style, and when you reset your talent points, it automatically applied the new build for you.

Hopefully we'll get a proper addon/macro API soon. I realise Bio wants to be completely sure they control the backend and zap any bugs before they let players use the frontend, but it's about time.

Edited by pizzaghul

Dual spec comes from WoW.

WoW is a terrible game.

We're not playing WoW because its bad therefore playing SWTOR.

You want to WoWify SWTOR?

No thanks.

WoW had many good mechanics. Those made the game great. It had its flaws too, just like ToR does. I'm all for incorporating the good stuff and as a holy paladin from 2005 to 2011, I was miserable when I had to solo stuff before we got the dual spec option.

I think its an excellent credit sink, and something the game needs more of. There is already very little use for credits in game, and within a couple of months the majority of servers are going to be filled with hoards of multi millionaires with nothing to spend money on anyway. So what if it costs you "up to 99K" to respec. Its good for the game.

Except it only effects a certain demographic.

As dps who does only PVE I never have to pay one penny for respec costs.

As healer who wants to do solo PVE as dps in a timely manner and group PVE as healer I have to farm hours for credits.

If you want more credit sinks introduce such which effect everyone.

How is he a bad player because he can level fast as a healer. You assume he must be bad and slow as a dps simply because he manages to level quickly as a healer. it really isn't hard to level quickly as a healer in this game. If you think it is, you are the one that is bad, not the guy you referred to.

Oh really?

Then could you explain how you overcome having almost no DPS talents?

Oh, by your companion? That might be a surprise to you, but when DPS specced you have a companion too. Who does exactly the same DPS as he does when I am healing specced (and which is, as a sidenote, still significantly below mine when I am DPS specced).

A companion does not help you to level as fast as DPS. It ony sets for any spec a lower limit on the leveling speed.

"Quickly" in itself is a useless attribute. A snail which has no other things to compare itself with can say it travels "quicky".

It only gets meaning when compared to something else. And, compared to leveling as DPS, leveling as healing is *slow*.

Leveling as healer as quickly as DPS isn't hard, it is flat out impossible. DPS has companion wise exactly the same tools available and on top of this a ton of DPS talents. By which magic do you think you can overcome this? You cannot heal targets to death.

Edited by Psykhe

Except it only effects a certain demographic.

As dps who does only PVE I never have to pay one penny for respec costs.

As healer who wants to do solo PVE as dps in a timely manner and group PVE as healer I have to farm hours for credits.

If you want more credit sinks introduce such which effect everyone.

It effects everyone who uses it equally. Nobody has to respec to enjoy the content. Nobody has to buy a 220K mount training for an additional 10% speed boost either. Its purely optional, like all credit sinks (apart from the "death penalty" one, which could be optional depending on how you look at it)

And really, nobody should have to farm credits for hours. Absolutely everything you do in this game gives you credits. Every quest, every warzone, every space battle, even the constant "junk" loot from 90% of killed mobs. I even think I made a few thousand chatting with my companion on my ship the other day. Not to mention the constant materials all over every planet you come across. Every action the player takes apart from walking is one giant credit faucet, and there are very few sinks. You should be "rich" in the sense that you can buy whatever you want and likely respec dozens of times with credits to spare by level 25 or 30. By 40-50 most are filthy rich, and you would have to try pretty hard not to be. Respec costs at that stage are so trivial as to not really matter. Just doing your daily's nets you a quarter million.

I think the costs are fully intended to be this way, and I think we need to give it a try for the economies sake, before we start complaining that we can't switch from dps to healer and back again in between every flashpoint, class quest and warzone.

Leveling as a healing bounty hunter I am having no problems. Not slow at all on my end.

Care to share your spec?

I've been working on an Arsenal specced 48 merc, and I can't imagine leveling being effective with a Bodyguard spec.

...You should be "rich" in the sense that you can buy whatever you want and likely respec dozens of times with credits to spare by level 25 or 30. By 40-50 most are filthy rich, and you would have to try pretty hard not to be. Respec costs at that stage are so trivial as to not really matter. Just doing your daily's nets you a quarter million....

Crafting is one big credit sink. I think I'm spending 10k-15k/hr on crew skill missions.

Edited by Iram

Crafting is one big credit sink. I think I'm spending 10k-15k/hr on crew skill missions.

There are a fair number of credit sinks already in the game. Between crafting, skills, speeder training, companion gifts, and buying the rare decent item on the AH, I rarely have more than 60k.

As a Corruption spec'd healer I don't think I really have a problem leveling, but I would like to switch to Madness now and again for fun while solo and back to Corruption for grouping.

Edited by Heimskringla

I like to play around with my spec, try other specs out, maybe go spec for PVP and do a PVP weekend for myself or whatever. Loved Rifts soul system for that very reason, could switch up my play style. I am being turned off by how limiting SWTOR is with my spec.

It would help if we could get an official answer on how the respec system works, does it reset and if so on what schedule, is there a cap? From this thread an GOOGLE it seems there are lots of theory's but no solid answers.

Would it be so hard for someone from Bioware to clarify a simple game mechanic that has spawned such a long discussion it had to be moved to another thread?

No, it does not reset weekly.

No, there is no "cap" in the traditional sense.

No, it does not go up to infinity.

Here's what happened to me yesterday:

I had already spent a good amount of credits respeccing, and I was at the point where it cost 99.8k. Being 50, you have around a million to throw around, so I didn't even blink.

The game did not remove those credits from my purse. I did get the points back. And now the cost is back at 0; it will presumably run through the same cycle again.

Yes, I think a dual spec would be nice. I also think PvP brackets and a proper LFG tool would be nice, and I don't care about your Everquest-style "make the game tough, make choices matter" bull. This isn't 2000, this is 2011, we've progressed past that point, either get over it or go back and play EQ2 again, it's free now.

And to clarify, when I say "dual spec", I don't necessarily mean the WoW system, copy-and-paste. I'd be perfectly fine with the present system, just give me the opportunity to save the UIs for multiple respecs, and don't make me reenter the talents all the time. Heck, all I really want is a functionality like the old "Talented" addon from WoW: pre dualspec, it let you play around with and save talent builds, Wowhead-style, and when you reset your talent points, it automatically applied the new build for you.

Hopefully we'll get a proper addon/macro API soon. I realise Bio wants to be completely sure they control the backend and zap any bugs before they let players use the frontend, but it's about time.

Thanks for the info.

prizes of respec are ridiculous

either loose the curve of respec prizes that go up to these stupid amounts or give people dual specs or tripple specs like any other good idea modern mmo's have that dont want people's frustration but thrive on peoples happiness.

Edited by naniyo

prizes of respec are ridiculous

either loose the curve of respec prizes that go up to these stupid amounts or give people dual specs or tripple specs like any other good idea modern mmo's have that dont want people's frustration but thrive on peoples happiness.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Read my post before. The max you'll ever pay for any respec is around 40-something k, which is nothing, NOTHING for a level 50 player. A _single_ bonus quest on Ilum nets 15k. You get 3-4 of those, ~5+ dailies and that's just about one or two hours of questing. If you honestly believe respecs are too expensive, you either aren't level 50 yet (in which case, go level, not respec), or are unable to handle money (your bad).

And yes, of course, games like Rift thrive on people's happiness...that's why Rift pulled 1 Mil subscriptions at release. Obviously.

tl;dr: stop crying about stuff you have no idea of. kthx.

Respec is supposed to not make a mistake permanent. It is supposed to be used for someone to revamp their playstyle after a week or so of playing.

It is not supposed to be used to switch spec once a day, or switch between specs when you do PvP or PvE, or flashpoints or whatever.

Basicly, if you are paying so much for respecs, you are using the system wrong. The price goes down after you stop using it for awhile, you can respec once a week for free.

Respec is supposed to not make a mistake permanent. It is supposed to be used for someone to revamp their playstyle after a week or so of playing.

It is not supposed to be used to switch spec once a day, or switch between specs when you do PvP or PvE, or flashpoints or whatever.

Basicly, if you are paying so much for respecs, you are using the system wrong. The price goes down after you stop using it for awhile, you can respec once a week for free.

The promise of coming Dual Specs says you don't know as much about the intentions of the developers as you think you do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.