The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Charity items in the CM

you would be better off just donating to a charity locally than something like this. Although i like the premiss, basically its EA saying "well give X amount to a charity". since purchasing off the CM is basically "funny money" and they give it to you anyway (monthly stipend). The only thing purchased with real money is the coins and basically that would be a % of all coins purchases would go to charity based on the % of an item sold.

I'd rather just give the money to a local charity that I know will actually use it, than say a random charity selected by EA that may or may not use it. Also I can use it as a charitable deduction, where as in your case EA can use it as a deduction and we cannot.

Typically large national "charities" will give less than 1% of their revenue to what they actually 'charity', local/small charities are usually much more 'charitable'.

Sorry if this has been said before but I think it would be a nice idea if a charity item was released in the CM. Such as a mount or item of clothing where a percentage of the profit gos to a charity. What are peoples throughts on this?

That is a great idea.

EA/Bioware can convert the CC we spend on the items and give a % to needy charity... and not the charity of the CEOs :)

They can even create a super expensive item (like 100k CC) just for the big spenders :)

Edited by illgot

And as a bonus, they improve company image, possibly increasing fanbase support or at the very least slightly improving the probability of retaining current players. /increasing spending into CC

Everybody wins.

Edited by jaytdasme

Given the number of folks who are sitting on piles of complementary cartel coins (and who would, thus, not actually be spending any money on said charity items), I would think that it might be more viable to have a "cartel coin charity sale," wherein some percentage of the profits from the limited-time sale go toward the chosen charity, and those who buy cartel coins during that time automatically receive some item.

That said, using the cartel market for charity is a fine idea.

Not a bad idea at all, a single relatively expensive pet, so that it's improbably people will save up their monthly allowance of CC to get it, would be a great idea. Having a new one come out say each year would be nice, maybe a baby rancor or something else that lots of people would enjoy having or perhaps GOTO or a small Hutt for irony's sake.