Quad v. Burst

Sportiva

Back when Domination was the only game in town, it was pretty evident that a Burst Cannon was the best choice for Flashfires/Stings. However, I'm starting to think that the extra range of Quad Cannon might be better for Deathmatches where you don't have as many close-quarters turning contests.

Agree?

Disagree?

Edited by Sportiva

For the type two scout, quads are absolutely the best weapon for TDM, yes. Range is king in TDM.

I personally still use bursts, though, because I find them more fun.

I second this. If you get lucky with burst, you may get a couple huge crits off.

However, in a game mode where the objective to kill players, shield piercing or armor ignore doesn't mean much since you got to finish them off anyways, and most players don't use charge plating or deflective plating.

Quads will give you an advantage against all other cannons except heavy any day in TDM.

However, keep in mind that you MAY still end up in domination, and I think the extra use of quads in TDM doesn't out weight the benefits from BLC in node fighting.

One solution is to equip one CM scout with burst, and the other with Quad. However, that is taking up one entire ship slot that could have been dedicated to a bomber or GS.

I disagree with Quad being the best. I am usually top 3 in kills, damage, and assists in TDM with a Sting using Burst. 9/10 I have people on the run, and very few people can kill.

I nearly always top damage with BLC in TDM, with my best being 100k in a kuat TDM.

BUT

I also know two other pilots who can match those numbers with Quads. I will also point out that Quads are hands-down better than BLC when dealing with bombers.

Try both, see what works for YOU.

The thing is, stats on paper don't mean much of anything.

The ideal build for a Sting includes the following:

Burst Laser Cannons, Damage Overcharge, shield piercing co-pilot, double volley cluster missiles.

In theory, they'll give you the best possible damage output. But in practice, that doesn't mean squat unless you can make it work.

Personally, I run my sting with Quad Laser Cannons and I use the DoT upgrade on my clusters and when I play my best, I can keep up with others Stings/Flashfires using the FOTM Builds. Oh, and I run with the repair co-pilot ability. Contributing top kills in Death match is worthless if you're also contributing top deaths.

Burst Laser Cannons, Damage Overcharge, shield piercing co-pilot, double volley cluster missiles.

In theory, they'll give you the best possible damage output. But in practice, that doesn't mean squat unless you can make it work.

No. >_>

Oh, and I run with the repair co-pilot ability. Contributing top kills in Death match is worthless if you're also contributing top deaths.

No. >_>

Try both, see what works for YOU.

The thing is, stats on paper don't mean much of anything.

Personally, I run my sting with Quad Laser Cannons and I use the DoT upgrade on my clusters and when I play my best, I can keep up with others Stings/Flashfires using the FOTM Builds. Oh, and I run with the repair co-pilot ability. Contributing top kills in Death match is worthless if you're also contributing top deaths.

Agreed with the trying part.

But BLC isn't the "best" laser on paper, Quads are. Neither is shield penetration. It is practically procrastination, the shield got to go if you want to bring them down most of the time anyways.

However, I too run with hydralic spanners for my co-pilot. It is actually quite useful since the only other way to repair hull without dying right now is with a repair drone.

Still, perhaps you should try your own advice if you haven't already. Try BLC. It takes a match or two to get used to, but it works splendidly on a ship that can boost almost on always on demand.

Still, perhaps you should try your own advice if you haven't already. Try BLC. It takes a match or two to get used to, but it works splendidly on a ship that can boost almost on always on demand.

I have tried them, I just don't like them. They just feel... I don't know how to say this without it sounding stupid, but I just don't like how they feel. It's sort of difficult to explain. I just don't "feel" them doing their damage, they just fire and some numbers appear on the screen, most of the time you don't even see the blaster bolts.

I've personally switched to Quads full time now that we have TDM and Bombers. Bombers in the game mean my Flashfire is no longer king of orbiting, and TDM gives a bit more weight to range. Burst is best when you have to deal your damage in short, quick, shots. (i.e. Burst) But I now find myself doing that less often, so I like the range better.

As for Rapid Fires, Ive tried them out (I actually have all of them mastered), and I agree they are a bit under powered at present. That said, they are kinda fun to use with BO and the Frequency Capacitor. Your fire rate is so high it's crazy. :p

Agreed with the trying part.

But BLC isn't the "best" laser on paper, Quads are. Neither is shield penetration. It is practically procrastination, the shield got to go if you want to bring them down most of the time anyways.

However, I too run with hydralic spanners for my co-pilot. It is actually quite useful since the only other way to repair hull without dying right now is with a repair drone.

Actually neither are the best laser on paper. That title belongs to the Light Laser.

While true it's bad at dogfighting, the point is made here somewhere that there isn't quite as much dogfighting g, and more ranged combat. Quads are great all around, it's what I use for that reason on my Pike, but Heavy Lasers have a power unmatched for range and shield pen. I think it was a huge oversight putting them on Bomber class ships.

While true it's bad at dogfighting, the point is made here somewhere that there isn't quite as much dogfighting g, and more ranged combat. Quads are great all around, it's what I use for that reason on my Pike, but Heavy Lasers have a power unmatched for range and shield pen. I think it was a huge oversight putting them on Bomber class ships.

Also kinda moot, though, since he asked about best lasers for Sting/Flashfire, and heavies aren't an option. :p

I think there is an argument to be made for all of the laser varieties depending your own particular talents and capabilities. BLC is best for snap shots while weaving in and around obstacles, quads do better when you can hold the reticule on your target for a sustained time frame.

My personal suggestion is to try them all out and see which one works better for you yourself. I'm working my way through my missile options now for the same reason. (What else do you do with a mastered ship?)

While bursts beat the snot out of lights, quads are.. different.

I prefer bursts on my scout, but quads absolutely have a place and offer something different.

Note that on a type 1 scout, quads are subsumed by lasers- and quads hit a bit harder and cost more energy, and are otherwise almost identical.

I always ran with Quads on my Sting. That was before players discovered Burst Lasers (or at least before I heard about them). I tried out Burst, and I just couldn't get in to it. It's superior to Quads in satellite humping matches, but outside of that I felt I performed better with Quads. Both have their strengths, but when it comes down to it you should choose what feels most natural to you.

As for Rapid Fires, Ive tried them out (I actually have all of them mastered), and I agree they are a bit under powered at present. That said, they are kinda fun to use with BO and the Frequency Capacitor. Your fire rate is so high it's crazy. :p

This phenomenon has been referred to as "laser bukakke"

I prefer quads for the range and solid damage output and I believe burst lasers are kinda cheap. On any given map with any given build burst lasers tend to out perform all other laser types. I'd like to see their default range reduced to 3000m if they are going to keep the damage output they currently have.

I prefer quads for the range and solid damage output and I believe burst lasers are kinda cheap. On any given map with any given build burst lasers tend to out perform all other laser types. I'd like to see their default range reduced to 3000m if they are going to keep the damage output they currently have.

Lolwut?

On max range, Burst lasers deal around 600 dmg per shot with 80 rpms, while Quads deal around 400 dmg per shot with 160 rpms. They are far FAR away from outperforming other lasers at max range.

Burst lasers most effective range is between 0-1000m.

Edit:

According to this chart, the dmg of Burst lasers is even lower at max range.

Edited by Sindariel