The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Alacrity in the Tank Gear???

Superfreack

I have a full set of the tanking gear purchased with Basic comms. I’m just now starting to break into the gear purchased with Elite comms. To my surprise both sets have Alacrity on them.

Why does the Elite comms tanking gear have alacrity? Am I missing something?

How can I get the gear needed to start running Ops if I purchase the Elite set? Do I have to pull out item mods and swap them with play made ones? Are the player made mods at the same item level as the Elite?

The alacrity and accuracy in tank gear is nothing more than a cruel joke on tanks. It's absolutely useless. You'll need to mix and match mods to get the correct pieces. The crueler joke is that nothing on the comm gear for tanks is really correct. Armorings don't have set bonuses, mods are incorrectly statted, enhancements are incorrectly statted, no such thing as shield/defense enhancement, everything but belt and bracers is absorb, and implants have accuracy or alacrity. Edited by MillionsKNives

Whats the most effective way to gear up for OPs then?

Crafted gear. You can use the mods that you get from elite commendations until you get unlettered variants; at least they aren't as bad as the enhancements. Find a good crafter and get them to sell you a set of Sturdiness and Immunity 66 enhancements (they shouldn't cost that much). Ear and implants should be the crafted Veracity versions. Until you get set bonus armorings, you can use the non-set armorings that you get for Elite coms, but your very first priority should be to replace at least four of those armorings with set bonus carrying versions.

I faced the same problem with my juggernaut. gear up according to what KBN said. there aren't any better implants / earpieces than the crafted veracity ones (this is before you get access to the dread forged stuff, which is better by a small margin in mitigation but by a huge margin in primary stats). On my PT I use everything besides the armoring from the vendor gear I get with the ultimate comms, since PTs are quite shield-heavy. I push my absorb value with augments until I have access to mitigation optimised enhancements (from df and dp hc). Edited by tofukiller_

ALL the gear that you can buy for comms, including both PvE and PvP has some rubbish enhancements with things like Alacrity on them (e.g. Absorb/Alacrity - ***!).

You need to buy the crafted BiS (best in slot) enhancements - think the best ones with the highest shield/absorb equivalent to basic comms gear is Studiness. For the 69/72 gear, the best ones are Bulwark and I believe Bastion (not 100% sure about that second one).

Best way to get those is either run the ops and get the tokens, or get them crafted.

Best case scenario - run HM Dread ops to get the good enhancements

Second best case scenario - buy 7 sets of oriconian boots (100 ultimate comms each) - the enhancements in them give slightly more stats on average than the underworld bulwark/bastion enhancements, and its mainly in shield (what you want), though you do have to make up the lost defense/absorb with augments.

Third best case scenario - get a crafter to make a bunch of Advanced Bulwark/Bastion Enhancement 31's

Worst case scenario - Immunity/Steadfast enhancements of the 28 variety.