Ebon Hawk GSF Aces

wvwraith

Indeed. You don't wanna be called an Ace if you're in a Gunship post 2.7.... That target is much too much. Spend your time diversifying your ship portfolio - increases your lethality in multiple situations :) Besides, being called an Ace doesn't make you any better, only more noticiable. It's reasonable to want recognition, but in the long run, you're better off if the community doesn't know your name

Tell me about it. Every character but Siddain? 65-70% win ratio. Siddain? 48%.

Don't ask how much damage he's taken. You won't be able to handle the number. I'm surprised the stat window can, frankly... -bp

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I find that I am happy not to be on the list as well as the shout-out. Once someone reads your name on either you can expect them to focus you a little more. I was doing good on the shout-out until Ded'i mentioned me the other day, before that last time anyone said anything was back in Decemeber before I started flying the gunship exclusively. Tho I did take out a stock S-12 Blackbolt today in a deathmatch and went 12-12-3 in it. But really the only ship I have mastered is the GSS-3 Mangler, everything else I own is stock.

The Blackbolt, if built properly, is probably the best ship to use if you find yourself focused hard. It has unique capabilities, that even a Sting can't match, for getting clear of pursuers. You lose out on some of the "hanging out in the furball" staying power and lethality that the Sting brings, but you can do true hit and fade a lot better, and it's a very fun style of play. Also get ALL the powerups! XD

Hey, personally, I think the recognition factor's totally cool. I appreciate being taken seriously...or at least being greeted with outright panic.

It does make me smile to see somebody look across the rankings and drop upon seeing my name. Overall, yes, it is a bad thing, you play the hand you're dealt and you go in there and you try your best no matter who's come to the table...but...it does serve my vanity from time to time.

Hey, personally, I think the recognition factor's totally cool. I appreciate being taken seriously...or at least being greeted with outright panic.

It does make me smile to see somebody look across the rankings and drop upon seeing my name. Overall, yes, it is a bad thing, you play the hand you're dealt and you go in there and you try your best no matter who's come to the table...but...it does serve my vanity from time to time.

Until I would put a conc in your tailpipe. ;) -bp

Whattttt??? Why?

Drama.

It does seem rather harsh to punish the character for the player's faults. But those sorts of decisions are part of what's causing the problem.

I'll miss seeing the pilot name, but not the drama.

Rhodogast / Kelril

Sid-Dai-Brian does seem to have been getting more and more stressed as the weekend's gone on.

I wish I'd been a better friend and asked what was going on.

Also, for the record, in the extremely unlikely event that I ever reach a point where I cannot derive any joy out of GSF, I won't delete Rhint. He's far too valuable in my headcanon, and I've been writing that since 2010. On the pre-launch forums.

IMO, Siddain has gone too far last last week.... Was simply harrassing someone cuz he got a thermite in his tailpipe... And about all TEH-pub in chat just sided with me who was defending my friend (the one who got his thermite in Siddain).... It's what happened last week... If I was to guess, I'd say people were hunting his known toons too much. Or I may be completely wrong....:rak_02:

Geez, I didn't realize this was gonna be a thing. XD

I deleted Siddain for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I wasn't happy with his second iteration, either. (For those of you who might be strongly attached to the character for whatever reason, know that another copy of him exists - a better one, in my mind, but what do I know about my own characters, right?) This one turned out so mundane and stock that I just decided to scrap it rather than erase a bunch of nonsense and start over with a messed-up canvas.

Some people throw out the whole canvas if they're not happy with the way they've marked it. I'm one of those. You don't have to like it.

Second, I got tired of people asking me to log on as him. I have other characters that I want to play, plus I use games as a writing exercise. Siddain got in the way of both of those things. It is what it is.

Finally, I deleted Siddain because my wife wasn't terribly happy with the attention he drew. It didn't matter if a female character wasn't really female - my wife's just like that and I support her as best as I can. It's not the first character to be deleted like that. Given my personality, it won't be the last.

If any or all of these reasons don't meet with your approval? Tough! Lots of things almost everyone does fail to meet MY approval, so trust me - I get that. But I get told to suck it up and live my life, and that's what I do.

The approval of anyone save my wife is neither necessary or even thought of.

I get what you guys want now, though, and that's fine! Focus on me every match if you like! I would MUCH rather have six on MY six than some poor newb just getting a feel for the controls. Here's an exhaustive list of all surviving alts on the Hawk:

REPUBLIC

Dainan (main)

Kavit

Calteru

Kavitri (likely to be deleted)

Some Cathar I named after their word for "City-Tree" (haven't decided his fate; probably won't see him flying anyway as he is afraid of heights)

Brîan (ALT+140 for the I)

EMPIRE

Sidenti (main)

Siddane (not the other iteration I mentioned previously - a third attempt)

Nîne (ALT+140)

Zapp (the A is an Alt character, but I don't remember the code - sparingly-used joke character anyway, likely to be deleted upon discovery as his name and persona are all Zapp Brannigan derivatives [violation of the ToS])

Brìan (placeholder character, will switch names with Nîne upon completion of his storyline)

Domenic (a pet project - literally)

So, there ya go. If you absolutely, positively MUST glue yourselves to my posterior (and I can't blame you - it really IS a fantastic-looking posterior, I'm told), just look for those names. I'M not going anywhere.

Which is utterly hilarious, because that one character you all are going on about, as if he were really dead or something?

That was MY personality you people enjoyed so much.

Some would call that ironic. I know better. Anyway. We done? -bp

Edited by Sidenti

And obviously it's got nothing to do with any of the previous half-dozen times you've sworn off GSF in whole or in part (with great fanfare), nor with the fact that you've been such a raging blowhard recently that you've been antagonizing everyone around you, to the point that I've repeatedly seen random people bringing it up in guild or ops chat and going out of their way to be nasty to any team you're on, simply because it's you.

You're not known for diverting attention for newbies. You're known for berating them incessantly for being bad players - berating right through to the end of the match, berating people who just don't have experience with the game, as if that is somehow going to fix anything. I've seen you do it myself, I've had multiple people complain to me about it. You need to stop doing it and you need to stop making excuses to yourself about what the problem is and you need to stop thinking you can impose your wishful thinking on everyone around you.

You're a fun guy when you're on an even keel. It has not been even recently and it's causing you to screw with other people's games for no reason except your own ego. The way you tried to justify your repeated self-destructs was just laughably hypocritical. Do you really think you have the right to deny me and others the chance to try to beat you fairly? Do you really think you have the right to rewrite the rules of the game on the fly according to your own ideas without checking whether anybody actually agrees?

You need to stop.

If your wife wants you to stop playing GSF, she may well have a point.

Rhodogast / Kelril

Edited by Rollory

You know the bit.

And obviously it's got nothing to do with any of the previous half-dozen times you've sworn off GSF in whole or in part (with great fanfare), nor with the fact that you've been such a raging blowhard recently that you've been antagonizing everyone around you, to the point that I've repeatedly seen random people bringing it up in guild or ops chat and going out of their way to be nasty to any team you're on, simply because it's you. What, Siddain's deletion?! XD Dude, that had nothing to do with GSF! I mean, damn, homey - if that were the case, you think I'd list the other alts? Come on!

As far as being a raging blowhard is concerned? That's nothing new. That happens. Frequently. I don't have to explain myself to you, and if you're still butthurt about the match I fixed, I STILL don't care. Report me! I took a HORRID mismatch and turned it into a 50-49 nailbiter that came down to the wire. Throw me in jail. You're the only one who didn't have fun, and if you didn't wanna be talked to that way ya shouldn't have f*&^in' started with the "**** IM'MA REPORT YOU BECAUSE I HAVE AUTHORITAH OR SOME S*&^". Can't handle it? Don't start it. I finish it. XD

You're not known for diverting attention for newbies. You're known for berating them incessantly for being bad players - berating right through to the end of the match, berating people who just don't have experience with the game, as if that is somehow going to fix anything. I've seen you do it myself, I've had multiple people complain to me about it. You need to stop doing it and you need to stop making excuses to yourself about what the problem is and you need to stop thinking you can impose your wishful thinking on everyone around you. I will berate ANYONE who doesn't try. People expect me to try every day in everything I do. There's a reason for that. People expect something of me. If a player's gonna queue, I expect them to try. If they're not going to try, they're going to hear something from me. (IF I feel like it. I don't always feel like it.)

You can't do anything about that but report it. It's not your place to tell me what to do here or anywhere.

But more often than not, I reward newbies who fly and die after a tough match. You don't hear anything about that because I don't need your damned praise. But heap the scorn all ya like!

I'm used to it. I'm married.

You're a fun guy when you're on an even keel. It has not been even recently and it's causing you to screw with other people's games for no reason except your own ego. The way you tried to justify your repeated self-destructs was just laughably hypocritical. Do you really think you have the right to deny me and others the chance to try to beat you fairly? Do you really think you have the right to rewrite the rules of the game on the fly according to your own ideas without checking whether anybody actually agrees? YOU WOULD NOT HAVE WON THAT MATCH, IDIOT, and you NEED to get over A) yourself (you were not the only one in that match) and B) the fact that you were wrong. Way to go, martyr! You got the drama you were wanting. Ever hear of "psychological projection"? Look it up.

You need to stop. You need to keep telling me what to do - it's hilarious. XD

If your wife wants you to stop playing GSF, she may well have a point. She didn't care about the GSF, 'tard. She cared about Demetria and Gunsheep plopping down next to me and me snapping a shot of it. What can I say? The missus thinks I'm a catch.

If anyone else has a problem with my conduct, the way I manage my character slots, the fact that I like the Pittsburgh Steelers or any other concern, lemme know and I'll give you the number of someone who gives a damn. Until then?

Shut the hell up, quit pretending you know me, and get back on my six.

Or don't.

Whatever.

I'm just here for the entertainment at this point. ;) -bp

Rhodogast / Kelril

Edited by Sidenti

wat:confused:

where is this thread i don't even

Anyway, perhaps it's time to just let this thread die. We've got enough aces coming and going on this server that keeping a static list of them isn't really sensible.

The Space PvP Shout outs thread is a better place for transient kudos. So how about we just let this thread drift away?

Could we please get a little less 4 man aces all queueing together with voice comms and sitting in satellite skirt games? Two days of this now and I can tell you, as someone who's only been GSFing two weeks and one of the 'newbies' of the community, this is getting old REALLY fast (yes, I'm looking at you Dementia and co.). I don't even want to imagine how the actual new guys joining these games are taking it.

Edit: I'm just saying outright I'm not going to bother to keep playing games against obvious set ups like this. The GSF community has been REALLY awesome thus far but this seems like the exact sort of poison which is ensuring the community stays small.

Edited by Purrversion

We are starting to see...cabals of pilots fly together, I agree, Jakkers. You get this most often in instances where the pilots have been imported over from other servers. The Jung Ma Boys, the Bastion Bastages, even me occasionally with what I called 'Beat-All Squadron' (Itkovian on lead vocals...err, Strike Fighter, with Rhodogast's solid Bomber beats, and myself and Phil on backup Gunships...can you get any better than that?).

However, most folks know, I generally queue solo, don't get into vox unless folks really, really insist (and it's not because I'm shy of microphones!), and can still pump out decent performances.

It's good to play together. I think GSF is more fun when it's a social experience. But I also think there should be some nights where it would be nice if these cabals would break up the act briefly and fly solo, perhaps even on opposing sides. It's sometimes necessary to get a bit of perspective on one's own skills, and how they can fluctuate outside of your dedicated group of wingmen. Flying head-on against your friends could also point out weaknesses in their game that can help them improve once addressed.

Plus, the noobs don't get quite the stomping they would otherwise that night.

Edited by QuinMantha

Generally everyone playing together still keeps it loose though. I know impside we like to group, but when we see the republic is very much suffering from the matchups we have pilots say "Gonna head rep side and even things up" a lot. That's awesome. Grouping is understandable, but try not to wipe out the new guys who actually might sink their teeth into this and help us grow y'know? This was somewhat aimed specifically at a group who've been doing this stuff (and livestreaming if I heard correctly) a couple of days in a row for some 6-7 hours in a row now. >.>