Ammo starvation

Filth

I just hit 40 and got my final talent in gunnery tree, and im wondering... how do ppl do it without being completely ammo starved all the time? i mean in PvE i can just rotate slower, but in pvp i kinda need to pump out the damage faster to be able to kill anyone, and by the time they are 30% im out of ammo...

IMO we need either higher ammo regain on skill proc like cell charger or perhaps change curtain of fire to instead of resetting the CD of full auto make next one free? or something like that...

any ideas?

-heimdal

Pace yourself more, you can't burst all the time or you will have no ammo as you have observed. You have skills like recharge cells to help, but with the long cool down you have to be thoughtful about exactly when its worth depleting your ammo reserves. It sounds like you are bursting too soon, whittle them down to 50% or so while keeping your ammo high, then surprise them with an ammo dump burst for the kill.

Yea, i tried that... but then im on the receiving end of the rump kicking, vs melee anyway...

Its hard to kite someone while all you do is 200ish dmg a shot (with hammer shot) and still have enough hp to burst them down once they are low.

Still think we outta have a higher ammo regain then we do atm without having to pop a long CD to survive every fight...

I think ammo regen at level 3 needs to be buffed. It's fine at level 4, and you SHOULD be punished for going to level 2 or 1, but at level 3 the dropoff is HUGE. It goes from .6 APS (Ammo Per Second) to .36 APS, a 40% drop. I feel it'd be much less punitive and the class would feel much smoother if it dropped to .4 or .45 APS at level 3.

Oh, and Concussion Charge needs to have it's ammo cost removed. Having your PvP escape button ammo starve you is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

I find when dealing with melee's i use concussion charge (the shockwave?) followed by a cryo grenade. Teach em a lesson for getting close. You've also got that nice electric jolt and stalk strike.

I'm also a mix of healing and gunnery though so... yeah i know i'm splittin my fields, but i rather enjoy dealing damage AND healing.

If your target isn't almost dead, rotate with 5 ammo.

Once you hit 5 ammo, use an ability that costs ammo, when you're below 5 ammo, hammershot.

Generally a fight goes like this

Initial full ammo dump until you're empty, recharge cells and begin sustaining 5 ammo.

This will allow you always use an ability without every dropping to 1/4 regen speed which is what you want to avoid. Dropping to 2 ammo (you will very briefly if you full auto from 5 but that is fine since it'll hit 3 almost immediately and go back up to the next tier of regen speed).

Ammo is a way to make the class difficult, yet reward you if you do well. We'll have to see some end game DPS meters to really tell if we're keeping pace with other DPS since it feels like I am but can't tell without some hard numbers.

Edited by LordKivlov

If your target isn't almost dead, rotate with 5 ammo.

I'm sorry, but this is blatantly wrong. You want to keep your regen at the highest possible level. It may seem like it's wrong because you don't appear to be doing as much burst, but over the long run you will have a lot more ammo and use a lot more abilities this way. The higher your regen stays, the more abilities you can use without dropping down a regen tier.

Remember kids, you want to stay in the highest regen tier as much as possible. Every moment you're in a lower regen tier is a moment you're losing out on potential ammo.

I tend to crit..a lot. Atm Im getting 2k grav shot crits 25% of the time. This recharges my cells and also has other benefits of buffs and dots im sure youre already aware of. I tend to use grave round a couple of times then use hammer shot which usually gives me time to charge a few cells if they get close knock them back then hit them with full auto and by now youre full on cells. Just go to town with grav round and use your shield if you need to. 1v1 you dont even need to move against melee, our heavy armor shields heals and damage out put is great.

EDIT: I also forgot to ad in hight impact bolt which can and great burst on a crit and can easily do upwards of 3k if grav and HI both crit.

Edited by Pingor

I'm sorry, but this is blatantly wrong. You want to keep your regen at the highest possible level. It may seem like it's wrong because you don't appear to be doing as much burst, but over the long run you will have a lot more ammo and use a lot more abilities this way. The higher your regen stays, the more abilities you can use without dropping down a regen tier.

Remember kids, you want to stay in the highest regen tier as much as possible. Every moment you're in a lower regen tier is a moment you're losing out on potential ammo.

There's not really much difference between the 4th and 3rd tier in terms of rotation. Your regen is higher in the 4th but to keep it there you still have to hammershot which keeping at 5 ammo is ability hammer ability hammer and so on unless you messed something up. Exact same thing that you would do in the top tier.

But k.

Edited by LordKivlov

There's not really much difference between the 4th and 3rd tier in terms of rotation. Your regen is higher in the 4th but to keep it there you still have to hammershot which keeping at 5 ammo is ability hammer ability hammer and so on unless you messed something up. Exact same thing that you would do in the top tier.

But k.

You can often chain 2 abilities together while maintaining 4th regen tier if you time it right. That simply isn't possible if you're constantly hovering at the lower edge of 3rd tier. Chaining 2 abilities together would knock you down to 2nd or even 1st tier, which cripples you for 15+ seconds.

I understand what you're saying, no matter what you're going to have to use Hammer Shot often, but in the long run you will be able to use more abilities if you remain at 4th regen tier. It's just logic.

0.6 APS > 0.36 APS