The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So... that's not allowed?

KyleSChen

Ok, here's the thing: for a while I had a link to my "You have been invited by... " page. And I recently got a message saying that's not allowed because I was advertising my product and to please follow the rules of conduct. So I read them and it says that I can't advertise my product, nothing about invitations. I was just wondering if there actually was a rule against this or not, thanks! Edited by KyleSChen

Ok, here's the thing: for a while I had a link to my "You have been invited by... " page. And I recently got a message saying that's not aloud because I was advertising my product and to please follow the rules of conduct. So I read them and it says that I can't advertise my product, nothing about invitations. I was just wondering if there actually was a rule against this or not, thanks!

Not very loud at all, actually I didn't hear a thing!

To answer your question:

It is funny you should mention that illgot, that is our exact plan. We are planning to add a confirmation box when using someone's referral link. This way if someone attempts to trick someone into becoming a referral, they will get a confirmation box before accepting. I have no timeline at this moment but I am hoping it should happen sometime in January.

Also I want to take this time to alert everyone of a forum rule. Due to the possible "trick" nature of using your referral link to trick someone into unintentionally becoming your referral, we are not allowing use of your referral links here on the forums until this issue is resolved. Whether that is being honest about what the link is, or trying to hide it, it will be removed. Any egregious breach of this rule can result in infraction points.

Thanks for understanding as we work to improve this system!

-eric

Thanks, so I should report people who also add links to there referral page?

Yes and no: You should report people disguising their referral link behind a youtube or short link, but if someone simply puts a "This is my referral link: <link>" in their signature, I wouldn't report them.

Reasoning: The first kind (the ones disguising their link) are scammers, trying to lure you into helping them scam CC from Bioware by clicking on their referral trap link; the second kind however is honest about the nature of their link and plays by the rules (at least in my book). Unfortunatelly, Bioware sees any kind of referral link as bad, but there's no need to point fingers at honest link users in my opinion.

Yes and no: You should report people disguising their referral link behind a youtube or short link, but if someone simply puts a "This is my referral link: <link>" in their signature, I wouldn't report them.

Reasoning: The first kind (the ones disguising their link) are scammers, trying to lure you into helping them scam CC from Bioware by clicking on their referral trap link; the second kind however is honest about the nature of their link and plays by the rules (at least in my book). Unfortunatelly, Bioware sees any kind of referral link as bad, but there's no need to point fingers at honest link users in my opinion.

Yeah, I wish BW would hurry up and make that "Are you sure?" feature they mentioned.