PvP Server? what does that even mean?

TizonaDelCid

There is no such thing as ganking in SWTOR in my oh so humble opinion. The player loses nothing. It's an inconvenience at worst. Just LOL and respawn while saying "muwahahaha I am INVINCIBLE!!" Anybody who complains about getting "ganked" in SWTOR needs to go get ganked for real in eve, then come back and tell me if you still think there is such a thing in SWTOR. The eve equivalent would be: you die and lose all of your gear, even if it's gear that you've been working on acquiring for a year in game. Additionally, the ganker gets to loot some of your stuff that drops from your corpse. SWTOR has zero penalty for dying in PVP - not even repair bills.

Not long ago, I was at the repub base at the start of the belsavis section x daily area. I always PVE in PVP gear because I'm really only interested in credits and can't stand the super long PVE gear grind - seriously...I can get a few pieces of PVP gear in a day from running warzones, it could take weeks to get the same amount of Basic gear. Anyway, back to my story...the imps decided to invade. I died quickly at the hands of about 15 imps, respawned in the same location, did some damage, died again. This happened over and over, but I finally managed to down one of them. I kept respawning and fighting until eventually I managed to down 3 or 4 of them (their respawn base is much farter away than mine). By this point, word had spread, more repub 55s showed up, and we slowly moved them off our base and chased them off. It was a lot of fun. I must have died 50 or 60 times, but what did I lose? NOTHING.

EDIT:

Also, an idea that might be cool for encouraging OWPVP...allow people to start a PVP group and post an advert in group finder. So, if people are looking for some OWPVP, they could open up group finder, see an advert for a pvp group on e.g. belsavis, travel there, join the group automatically (without group leader necessarily having to micro-manage invites), and have at it. For group size limits, if the group is at max, just have it say group is full and not allow any more to join. People could then start a second group, or a third, etc.

Then again, this would probably break the game engine. That's how it's done in eve, and they have battles that are so massive that they had to incorporate something called "Time Dialation" in which all of the actions of every pilot are slowed to a fraction of normal, as if time itself slowed way down. I'd been in battles in eve where 5000+ pilots were involved, all in the same universe, no instancing. In SWTOR, I suppose that certain limits could be set for maximum number of groups allowed per instance or something like that.

so I take it you were in Goons or TEST when Goons kicked TEST out of Fountain? ..that's the only 5000+ battle in the history...

I played Eve for 8 years... which is why I laugh at the "ganked" complaints... SWTOR has ZERO sense of loss... unlike what the CFC did the other day to the guy who was late on rent... :D

Quick question what are the low lvl planets that are OWPvP?? on release the only ones i remember was Alderaan and Ilum has it changed been away for so damn long i think i left at 1.2 and have been playing now for about 2 months started all new characters

it starts at Nar Shaddaa, skipping Taris and Balmorra of course.. everything else has "contested areas"

It means when I get jumped by a Concealment Op in the pub Section X base and I still win I get the right to sit on his face and laugh at him. That is if he doesn't rage quit back to his base the moment I win. (This was from last night:D)

please tell me it was Malyani

The main reason World PvP is dead because the totally stupid, retarded, stun, heal, interrupt based PvP only works in WZs where premades can have the perfect combination of classes and they can endlessly stun, heal, interrupt the enemy. I've been playing MMOs for almost 10 yrs and I've never seen such a whimpy, coward, crybabies like in SWTOR. BW already tried everything to prevent players death in PvP, with the Makeb exp every class get even more defense ability. In HB players can take a nap in the acid or fire pit and not get killed and it's still not enough, they still keep crying for more damage nerf and want more surviveability. Pathetic.

Not sure about that. I remember at launch and everyone trying to fight it out on Ilum at 5fps! I still laugh now at the poor soul force pulled out of a pack then set upon by the waiting pack.

http://imgur.com/TzJIIm8

right when you login.. when you choose the server... this is at the bottom.

Player versus Player (“PvP”) activities, where available, are not exempt from this policy.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. You can PvP, you can even "gank" lowbies as described here if that gets your rocks off for whatever bizarre reason. But what you cannot do is harass any player under the guise of "PvP." Got that?

It's clear as day. I tried to differentiate allowable PvP (which is most stuff) from harassment (e.g. griefing) but you simply don't get it.

"Harassment is also [u]any behavior that is incessant[/u], inescapable, derogatory and directed specifically at you or your group. Before reporting, a genuine attempt to alleviate the situation should be made by leaving the area or the offending player, or asking them politely to stop. If a sincere attempt has been made to solve the problem and the offending player persists in the behavior, it should be reported."

If you're a 55 camping at a respawn point of a 28 and killing him over and over and over with each respawn (again, lame, weird behavior but that's a digression), and that player has called you out and asked you to stop and you don't, that's unwelcomed, incessant behavior directed at that player and is harassment.

Just as rolling on a RP server doesn't give you the right to shout personal or derogatory insults in gen chat or whisper and say "I'm roll-playing what an imp would do," "don't roll on an RP server," RP happened," etc. There are boundaries and limits.

Just in case it wasn't already crystal clear that you have no right to harass another player, here's more:

"Game mechanics allow players to interact with the world and each other. For example, the ability to block a doorway is a game mechanic. Use of game mechanics like these is by no means considered harassment in and of itself. The key to determining whether the mechanic is being misused or abused is to determine "intent.""

So, again, camping at a respawn and preventing that lowbie from respawning or escaping, with the intent of griefing that player isn't allowed even for PvP (where the player has asked you to stop). It's bullying and harassment given that a 28 has no chance solo under any circumstances whatsoever against a 55 or, worse, a group of 55s. It's like a grown man beating up a toddler. "PvP" doesn't convert otherwise unacceptable behavior into acceptable simply because it's PvP.

Of course, all of the above has context. Players can agree to it. They can call their guildies in and fight back (my preferred approach). Maybe the lowbie instigated it. Some may even like the rush of it. Or there could be some other "legitimate" PvP objective. It's also a lot less persuasive that it's harassment when its 55 on 54 or 28 on 27. In essence, there is wide latitude for what you can do in "PvP" and almost all of it is fine, except harassment.

Tl;dr - harassment isn't allowed, even in PvP.

Player versus Player (“PvP”) activities, where available, are not exempt from this policy.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. You can PvP, you can even "gank" lowbies as described here if that gets your rocks off for whatever bizarre reason. But what you cannot do is harass any player under the guise of "PvP." Got that?

It's clear as day. I tried to differentiate allowable PvP (which is most stuff) from harassment (e.g. griefing) but you simply don't get it.

"Harassment is also [u]any behavior that is incessant[/u], inescapable, derogatory and directed specifically at you or your group. Before reporting, a genuine attempt to alleviate the situation should be made by leaving the area or the offending player, or asking them politely to stop. If a sincere attempt has been made to solve the problem and the offending player persists in the behavior, it should be reported."

If you're a 55 camping at a respawn point of a 28 and killing him over and over and over with each respawn (again, lame, weird behavior but that's a digression), and that player has called you out and asked you to stop and you don't, that's unwelcomed, incessant behavior directed at that player and is harassment.

Just as rolling on a RP server doesn't give you the right to shout personal or derogatory insults in gen chat or whisper and say "I'm roll-playing what an imp would do," "don't roll on an RP server," RP happened," etc. There are boundaries and limits.

Just in case it wasn't already crystal clear that you have no right to harass another player, here's more:

"Game mechanics allow players to interact with the world and each other. For example, the ability to block a doorway is a game mechanic. Use of game mechanics like these is by no means considered harassment in and of itself. The key to determining whether the mechanic is being misused or abused is to determine "intent.""

So, again, camping at a respawn and preventing that lowbie from respawning or escaping, with the intent of griefing that player isn't allowed even for PvP (where the player has asked you to stop). It's bullying and harassment given that a 28 has no chance solo under any circumstances whatsoever against a 55 or, worse, a group of 55s. It's like a grown man beating up a toddler. "PvP" doesn't convert otherwise unacceptable behavior into acceptable simply because it's PvP.

Of course, all of the above has context. Players can agree to it. They can call their guildies in and fight back (my preferred approach). Maybe the lowbie instigated it. Some may even like the rush of it. Or there could be some other "legitimate" PvP objective. It's also a lot less persuasive that it's harassment when its 55 on 54 or 28 on 27. In essence, there is wide latitude for what you can do in "PvP" and almost all of it is fine, except harassment.

Tl;dr - harassment isn't allowed, even in PvP.

and ....AGAIN...... you completely did NOT read what I posted... you're insisting that we're complaining that we can't camp and kill at a spawn.

let me use small words so you're sure to understand.

WE

USED

THE

MEDICAL

STATION

TO

EVADE

GUARDIAN

DROIDS.

end of story... enough with the mile long diatribe.

it's a PVP server.. and you were warned when you signed on.. it says it right at the bottom. INTERACTIONS BETWEEN PLAYERS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED HARASSMENT. PLAIN AND SIMPLE ENGLISH

LEARN TO READ.

and ....AGAIN...... you completely did NOT read what I posted... you're insisting that we're complaining that we can't camp and kill at a spawn.

let me use small words so you're sure to understand.

WE

USED

THE

MEDICAL

STATION

TO

EVADE

GUARDIAN

DROIDS.

end of story... enough with the mile long diatribe.

it's a PVP server.. and you were warned when you signed on.. it says it right at the bottom. INTERACTIONS BETWEEN PLAYERS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED HARASSMENT. PLAIN AND SIMPLE ENGLISH

LEARN TO READ.

LOL, um, LEARN TO COHERENTLY MAKE A POINT (in all caps!)

I read what you posted:

of course.. I gank all the time for fun.. that's what I find the most fun about this game. Terrorizing pubs every chance I get.

As to this, see my "diatribe" above. If you don't do those things, then it doesn't apply to you. But if shoe fits....

and from your OP:

"open world pvp is dead"

"the only thing you're doing (sorry.. 'ur' doing) is GANKING.."

"you can't win in WZs so you HAVE TO gank lowbies"

well.. in response to the 3rd and most common statement... what I do with my game time is my business, and MOST of the time, the crybaby lowbies call for help from 55s, which we either beat or get beaten by... all fun.

Again, this is false. What you do with your game time is not just your business - that's what prompted the debate. You should, by now, realize why.

But I did agree with you that OWPvP needs major work. No one here disputed that other than the strawman you built.

actually man.. if you read the little message at the server selection screen, you'll see that "actions against other players are not considered a form of harassment"

and that's not the point.

Again, this argument was made by you to indicate that as long as it's PvP, you can do what you want - that you can't harass someone with PvP actions. That's been debunked. If you wanna backtrack now, fine.

so I take it you were in Goons or TEST when Goons kicked TEST out of Fountain? ..that's the only 5000+ battle in the history...

I played Eve for 8 years... which is why I laugh at the "ganked" complaints... SWTOR has ZERO sense of loss... unlike what the CFC did the other day to the guy who was late on rent... :D

I was in TEST, in EMP now. I see now that I did use the plural "battles" when it should have been singular. Anyway, I've played eve since '06. I haven't really logged in much over the past month, but heard about that CFC vs N3/PL titan bloodbath...also now I hear that EMP is closing doors. Welp. :o Oh well, I'm having fun with SWTOR now I guess.

ON TOPIC:

I don't think anything on a pvp server is harassment, even spawn camping. In eve, you camp stations (respawn points, if you will) in order to crush your enemy's morale and make them not even want to log in. That is pvp. That is what you sign up for on a pvp server.

Edited by teclado

I agree with the OP when I joined the pvp server I play on I saw the warning that interactions that happen as part of player vs player combat is not considered harassment. the terms of service says that " If a sincere attempt has been made to solve the problem and the offending player persists in the behavior" then it is harassment, but if you kill a lowbie and they respond by insulting you and using foul language then I wouldn't call it them asking you to stop. if you want to go by the terms of service than many people should be banned for harassment for what they say in general chat. in fact Joonbeams telling the OP he needs to learn to read can also be considered harassment. Edited by DeadpoolCorp

i agree with the op when i joined the pvp server i play on i saw the warning that interactions that happen as part of player vs player combat is not considered harassment. The terms of service says that " if a sincere attempt has been made to solve the problem and the offending player persists in the behavior" then it is harassment, but if you kill a lowbie and they respond by insulting you and using fowl language then i wouldn't call it them asking you to stop. If you want to go by the terms of service than many people should be banned for harassment for what they say in general chat. In fact joonbeams telling the op he needs to learn to read can also be considered harassment.

quack quack quack quaaaaaack