Moment of silence

kvandertulip

That name implies more authority than the ability now has. I think XS Freighter Stink-eye is more appropriate.

I'm sorry you have to work a tiny bit harder now, but honestly, this amount of whining is ridiculous.

If you relied on OS for your DPS, then I recommend you find a class better suited to you.

Smashmonkey comes to mind.

Edited by Infernixx

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they want their old OS back.

Personally, I think it's silly just going on and on and on about it. OS was super useful and OP, literally a one-shot kill for whole mobs of weak enemies and now it's a standard AOE attack. In short, the players have to actually work a bit harder and that angers them.

Except it's not even a standard AoE attack. Frankly, I'm not all that used to using it, my gunslinger had it for a week, but I never played it much outside of story/planet missions, and my Sniper's had it for a couple of weeks, but again, only used it here and there, but enough to know it was OP. You see, despite the implication that I feel I'm broken w/out it, I'm more of a mind that, since it's less damage overall than what my grenades do on either class, I should be getting it before I get the grenades. Why not? It's going to be more effective for what it was intended to do, attack a large number of mobs in a small area, on Hutta or Ord Mantell than it currently is on Corellia. Sad isn't it, considering some people may actually be on Corellia before they get it.

In response to "what's the problem, use your grenades", that's exactly what I am doing. In fact, since my 'slinger is cybertech, I'll be using "this grenade isn't consumed on use" grenades instead. I mean, one of them does significantly more damage in a tight area, with the added bonus of melee mobs it's used on will be slowed 70(?)%, giving me time to burn them down before they get to me. I will, however, start dropping OS/FB on elite ranged mobs, since it'll just be extra damage, which is, as we have read here, the exact opposite of what BW intended to do by nerfing it, you know, using it for single target dps. That's all it's good for now.

I'm sorry you have to work a tiny bit harder now, but honestly, this amount of whining is ridiculous.

If you relied on OS for your DPS, then I recommend you find a class better suited to you.

Smashmonkey comes to mind.

I play Conc Op, not sniper, and I don't raid much, so OS has never been a big percent of my overall damage output. As long as the damage breaks caps, it's still usable for *that* in PVP, but the damage reduction renders it basically useless as general area denial, and the reduced damage makes it pretty useless for add management and trash disposal, which is what I usually do with it (as needed, nowhere near on cooldown).

But other than being completely wrong, good assumption(s).

BTW, I don't disagree with the idea of nerfing OS, I just think the implementation was heavy handed considering that BW has stated they want to do more frequent, less drastic balancing. [TBH, I know that's just their stated position, as far as I can tell -- removing assassin self healing, removing cover defenses for OPs, all the new OP buffs -- they haven't actually changed how they handle "balancing".]

You see, despite the implication that I feel I'm broken w/out it, I'm more of a mind that, since it's less damage overall than what my grenades do on either class, I should be getting it before I get the grenades.

Both rational and reasonable. They should award the skill sooner IMO.

Well, it was a long time coming, the nerf I mean, and it hit with a vengeance for some. No surprise there. But then, this is the typical response after any nerf.

Back to the parsing contingent. How about you quit your analytics and play the game. Yes, play without parsing. You will see that your play has not been vastly changed because of the nerf. It is still a group dynamic. It still relies on situational awareness, and it still requires you to know your class. The nerf changes very little in PvE land aside from making you rely on your skills much more than a fire and forget AOE DoT.

Well, it was a long time coming, the nerf I mean, and it hit with a vengeance for some. No surprise there. But then, this is the typical response after any nerf.

Back to the parsing contingent. How about you quit your analytics and play the game. Yes, play without parsing. You will see that your play has not been vastly changed because of the nerf. It is still a group dynamic. It still relies on situational awareness, and it still requires you to know your class. The nerf changes very little in PvE land aside from making you rely on your skills much more than a fire and forget AOE DoT.

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, pre-nerf OS allowed players to play terrible and still maintain a high DPS. Now, they actually have to play with a proper tight rotation.

No wonder some of the complaints mention switching to a new class.

It's just like removing all this swipes and other gestures from iOS or Android..

Orbital Strike was fun gamer experience - it was pure power, pure dps... Who was this idiot who nerfed it?

And I'm not talking about balance - I'm talking about things than keep users addicted to game.

It's sad BW couldn't figure out how to tune balance without killing Marksmanship tree and OS.

Rest in peace, Orbi(

It's just like removing all this swipes and other gestures from iOS or Android..

Orbital Strike was fun gamer experience - it was pure power, pure dps... Who was this idiot who nerfed it?

And I'm not talking about balance - I'm talking about things than keep users addicted to game.

It's sad BW couldn't figure out how to tune balance without killing Marksmanship tree and OS.

Rest in peace, Orbi(

If you need an 'I win" button to enjoy a game, suggest you try single player games and make liberal use of the cheat codes built into them.

Edited by DarthTHC

Well, on my saboteur it fits quite nicely into my rotation now. Before it was a big clunky after thought that was fun to use, but it did have limitations. While I did enjoy the super blasty bits, I can get used to the new rotation on it.

If you need an 'I win" button to enjoy a game, suggest you try single player games and make liberal use of the cheat codes built into them.

orly?)

Don't fool yourself - all people love it. Pure psychology.

And it wasn't IMBA skill. Great animation with great damage.

Guess last 2 comments was from marauders :)

I still fail to see how it is

a marvelous multi-target ability and a less than optimal single-target ability.

• when AoE is usually used on adds
  • adds in ops are usually elites and not effected by XS/OS' stun
  • adds rarely stick around for more than one or maybe two ticks (flash grenade's stun ends when damage is dealt)
  • a 45s CD still only allows for one use per adds group
  • a cast time of 2.5s leaves adds undealt with (and potentially roaming) for 2.5s (contrary to all AoEs with instant effects)
  • rapid single-target rotation is more effective on adds than the so-called "marvelous multi-target ability".
  • when its energy cost of 10 makes it a nice gap filler and even more viable in single target rotation
  • it plays out its full damage on targets that remain in one place (usually applies to single targets more than groups)
  • the reduced CD is only useful in fights where the targets live longer than 45s (usually champions/boss, =single targets)

Basically, they completely failed to achieve their goal and turned it upside down. They made the AoE ability even more useful in single target rotation while nerfing it to the point where single-target abilities are more useful on multiple targets.

I don't pvp, I rarely used it in single-target rotation. I used it as a helpful ability to deal with multiple targets and take care of one group while also keeping an eye on other targets. It's pretty much useless in that regard now. I'll do too little damage and waste too much time for it. What I love about my spec is its versatility and the nerf removed an important tool from my toolbox.

Edited by KyaniteD

Welcome to MMOs. Get used to rebalancing as PvPers will never stop whining for more nerfs regardless of the effects done to the majority ( PvEers ) of players or PvPers of another class.

Fixed.

Edited by Zorvan

orly?)

Don't fool yourself - all people love it. Pure psychology.

And it wasn't IMBA skill. Great animation with great damage.

Guess last 2 comments was from marauders :)

I have a single Sentinel languishing unplayed. It's my only DD character. The rest are all tanks or healers. The character I play most often is a Shadow Tank.

• adds rarely stick around for more than one or maybe two ticks (flash grenade's stun ends when damage is dealt)
  • a cast time of 2.5s leaves adds undealt with (and potentially roaming) for 2.5s (contrary to all AoEs with instant effects)
  • rapid single-target rotation is more effective on adds than the so-called "marvelous multi-target ability".
  • when its energy cost of 10 makes it a nice gap filler and even more viable in single target rotation
  • it plays out its full damage on targets that remain in one place (usually applies to single targets more than groups)
  • the reduced CD is only useful in fights where the targets live longer than 45s (usually champions/boss, =single targets)

Basically, they completely failed to achieve their goal and turned it upside down. They made the AoE ability even more useful in single target rotation while nerfing it to the point where single-target abilities are more useful on multiple targets.

I don't pvp, I rarely used it in single-target rotation. I used it as a helpful ability to deal with multiple targets and take care of one group while also keeping an eye on other targets. It's pretty much useless in that regard now. I'll do too little damage and waste too much time for it. What I love about my spec is its versatility and the nerf removed an important tool from my toolbox.

Pretty much this. My scoundrel and sniper certainly aren't my mains but I think the orbital change is pathetically designed.

I totally agree.

I'm now not even remotely able to kill a group of standard enemies with my AOE while doing dailies in the Black Hole Area whereas my Bounty Hunter's Death from Above succeeds in killing them... (and that in worse gear)

For God's sake, it's a level 48 ability, it shouldn't be less useful than a level 4 ability >.<

Also, it's an Orbital Strike... seriously... if you want to keep it like this, at least rename the ability...

I'm a bit frustrated, because the only explanation I've ever read to this nerf didn't address the point Kyanite makes...

and because there were plenty of other suggestions on how to nerf the ability while still keeping it useful... instead it was nerfed over the top...

So... are you saying they trolled you, and bunch of others here?

IMO, more like they looked at a long over powered skill and decided to tone it down. The whys, and the hows, are of course subject to endless noodle pushing with a chop stick in the forum.. but at the end of the day, the noodle will still be a noodle and life will go on.

I still feel it was absurd for them to leave it untouched for two years. The longer you leave something in game that is more powerful then intended... the more people become addicted to it like monkey's hooked on bananas. They should have made changes a long time ago. And I say this as someone who plays both primary classes impacted here.

Edited by Andryah

So... are you saying they trolled you, and bunch of others here?

IMO, more like they looked at a long over powered skill and decided to tone it down. The whys, and the hows, are of course subject to endless noodle pushing with a chop stick in the forum.. but at the end of the day, the noodle will still be a noodle and life will go on.

I understand why they thought it needed to be changed, and agree that change was probably needed. I'm just baffled that they think they achieved their stated goal when they're so far off the mark that they actually achieved the exact opposite. To make it complete they could make OS/XS a single target ability that just hits the target from orbit with a fireball that burns it for 9s/12s.

To answer your question: Reading Eric's statement and seeing the results, yes, I feel trolled.

I understand why they thought it needed to be changed, and agree that change was probably needed. I'm just baffled that they think they achieved their stated goal when they're so far off the mark that they actually achieved the exact opposite. To make it complete they could make OS/XS a single target ability that just hits the target from orbit with a fireball that burns it for 9s/12s.

To answer your question: Reading Eric's statement and seeing the results, yes, I feel trolled.

Fair enough. :)

IMO....never let the trolls win though... no matter the source, or the context.

Honestly, they get abused if they don't comment on the why's and they get abused if they do.. so IMO it's more about how to communicate in non-ambiguous ways with players in internet text communications (if that is even possible with a forum filled with diverse interests, opinions, and perspectives). Internet communications is in no way a perfect medium to discuss touchy topics. In fact, it's more like playing with live explosives inside a hot oven sometimes I think.

Edited by Andryah

Honestly, they get abused if they don't comment on the why's and they get abused if they do..

Honestly, they get "abused" when they comment because their comments are often wrong (at best)...see their explanation of why they nerfed operative cover and their attempts to explain Bolster for examples.

TBH, I don't think correcting them is "abuse" when not done rudely. We understand that not everybody there is part of the original team, and that there may have been some loss of institutional learning as a result.

Edited by eartharioch

Honestly, they get abused when they comment because their comments are often wrong (at best)...see their explanation of why they nerfed operative cover and their attempts to explain Bolster for examples.

Yes, their view of things often do not jive with /some_random_player. And said player has absolutely no qualms about going on the offensive immediately. And then they come back and clarify, satisfying that player and setting off /some_other_random_player and we get to see endless rinse and repeats.

As I said... internet text is a very imperfect medium to communicate with. But.. it's not like they can just let players Skype them and have live 1-on-1s so.. it is what it is.

They are going to get abused regardless. They know it, and players feel entitled to do it.

Edited by Andryah