The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why does it matter who shot first ?

Kayriel

I've read in a lot of posts , also alot of jokes and references to this particular part in the first movie from the original trilogy , i mean why does it matter who shot first ?

I am hoping to get an answer as to why everyone cares if Han Solo shot first or if Grido or whatever his name is did.

I mean seriously , in that situation who wouldn't ventilate the guy who threatens him at the first chance he gets ?!

Could someone please enlighten me ? I really love the Star Wars universe , but i really have no time to read the books and all the stuff in the expanded universe , so my reference are the 6 movies , the Clone wars cartoons , a few games , and some stuff that i read here and wookipedia when i have the time.

Edited by Kayriel
Typos

I guess it's most likely related to how George Lucas actually desires, on the long run, to have Han Solo perceived by audiences.

The first impression people get of him is this presumptuous, cocky and self-enamored pilot who's massive ego could choke the life out of you. Add the fact he didn't shot first but rather the fact the only shot was actually fired by him and the picture don't really look that pretty.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned, the issue I have is that it completely alters the character's dynamic, when it comes to his early behaviour: He's cocky, fearless and if with the back against the wall, he won't hesitate to cap you in a second's notice. The change was unwarranted IMO, since it made Han Solo look like he was rather a lovable Scoundrel, who had no choice since Greedo shot first, instead of this really morally questionable character, who's tough as nails.

It doesn't enhance the character's per se but rather cheapens him.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Compelling

Hmmmm. I'm confused here.

As far as I can remember, it was ALWAYS a known fact that Han did all the shooting and Greedo didn't shoot at all. This was only altered when Lucas re-released the films in the late 90's.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Hmmmm. I'm confused here.

As far as I can remember, it was ALWAYS a known fact that Han did all the shooting and Greedo didn't shoot at all. This was only altered when Lucas re-released the films in the late 90's.

This is true, Greedo never shot at all before the remastered versions. These said versions added many things to the movies that weren't there. Entire scenes in fact.

This is true, Greedo never shot at all before the remastered versions. These said versions added many things to the movies that weren't there. Entire scenes in fact.

Indeed.

I don't ever remember seeing before that the scene where Han chats with Jabba on Tatooine, acompanied by Boba Fett or the one where Luke has a talk with Biggs before the Battle of Yavin.

I am hoping to get an answer as to why everyone cares if Han Solo shot first or if Grido or whatever his name is did.

Because Han shot first, period.

To me, it speaks to his character. He's shifty, no-nonsense, cocky, self-serving, and somewhat reckless, but basically good at his core, and he evolves through ESB and RotJ to be more the good guy and slightly less the self-serving rogue. The edit where he fries Greedo after the Rodian "misses" (more likely, a warning shot in a failed attempt to rattle the smuggler) kind of destroys the darker, slightly sinister "shoot first and damn the questions" part of Han's character. It feels like there's less character progression, now, if we accept that as how it went down.

Also, in...One of the Tales compendiums (Tales from Mos Eisley, I think?) we learn more about greedo's otherwise cryptic line that he has "been looking forward to this for a long time." Greedo grew up on Nar Shaddaa, in the same area as Shug Ninx's space garage where the outlaw tech did custom work for smuggler craft. Greedo tried to steal a part for the Falcon, got caught by Han, and then Han stole a nice bantha-leather jacket from Greedo - 'cause fair's fair. Greedo held an obvious grudge, Han knew that, and wasn't going to let him have his revenge. So Han shot first, because that was the only way he was walking out of there alive.

in...One of the Tales compendiums (Tales from Mos Eisley, I think?) we learn more about greedo's otherwise cryptic line that he has "been looking forward to this for a long time." Greedo grew up on Nar Shaddaa.

In a deleted scene from episode 1, there is a scene where a young anakin gets into a fight with a young Greedo, and then a warning from one of Anakins friends that Greedo 'will come to a sticky end'. In Lucas's universe, Greedo is from Tattooine, in the expanded universe he is from Nar Shaddaa.

As for who shot first, by changing this scene, Lucas destroyed part of Han's character AND journey. Han at this point is a bad boy, and shooting Greedo first showed that. By changing this scene, Lucas stopped the audience from having this impression and changed him to just a scoundrel and already a good guy. His journey was the impression and effect his friendship with Luke had on him, that Luke rekindled a lost part of Han's soul and in effect, turned him back from a path that was destructive. When that scene was changed, Han's journey was also changed.

Bad move Lucas!

I understand now where all the heated arguments come from , thank you guys for the info you posted here :) Haven't seen the original trilogy in a very very very long time , gonna have a go at it again now :D With the details you guys gave me I have a new perspective.

In a deleted scene from episode 1

Yeah, but deleted scenes can't be taken in any way as canonical - otherwise, there's an issue with Shaak Ti being killed a few too many times...And then surviving for a couple more decades, anyway, which I still say was a really stupid move.

Yeah, but deleted scenes can't be taken in any way as canonical - otherwise, there's an issue with Shaak Ti being killed a few too many times...And then surviving for a couple more decades, anyway, which I still say was a really stupid move.

*Cough* The Force works in mysterious ways *big cough* :p

Becasue its stupid.

It looks horrible, The blast from greedos gun shoots out at like a 30 degree angle and just to add a little more ""realism" they made it so Han Solo ""DODGES"" the blast by cllipping a freeze frame over and back, its looks So very ridiculous.

Its an effect i can do at home with pinnacle (a cheap 100 buck editing program). This a company that just sold starwars for 100 Billion dollars and there is a scene that was created in 2004 that looks this horrible, just to force something

That is why it is stupid.

I can accept Jabba in the Hanger; heck even i want to see more Boba Fett anyway, plus the scene was actually filmed before. I can accepty Hayden at the end of Starwars 6 because after all he was darth vader.

Yet this scene is so forced and so poorly designed its absolutly ridicuolus. IMO if GL did not like Han Solo shooting Greedo he was better off removing the scene than editing it so poorly.

a scene that was created in 2004

Pretty sure that travesty of a scene was added for the Special Edition re-release in 1997; I'd break out my VHS copy of the SE to confirm, but I don't know where they are, for starters, but most importantly I don't trust my VCR anymore.

Pretty sure that travesty of a scene was added for the Special Edition re-release in 1997; I'd break out my VHS copy of the SE to confirm, but I don't know where they are, for starters, but most importantly I don't trust my VCR anymore.

I think you're right. The pre-Phantom Menace "NOW REDONE IN THX" versions that got peddled so hard via commercials at the time had the change if my memory serves.

You are correct but it was altered even more to include Han Solos clipping dodge movement with the DVD releases.

The special edition ones had the blaster fire but the blaster just miss completely.

if you do watch the old special edition ones look at change to jabba in a new hope from those tapes to the DVD release Jabba. He had a very cartoon look in the special edition

I've read in a lot of posts , also alot of jokes and references to this particular part in the first movie from the original trilogy , i mean why does it matter who shot first ?

It tells whether Han Solo was a real scoundrel, or a fake one :rod_tongue_p:

Indeed.

I don't ever remember seeing before that the scene where Han chats with Jabba on Tatooine, acompanied by Boba Fett or the one where Luke has a talk with Biggs before the Battle of Yavin.

Those scenes were filmed but ended up on the cutting room floor. For the Special Edition re-release, Lucas restored them.

In fact the Han and Jabba scene took some creative CGI because originally the Hutts were bipedal furry creatures. So when they dropped the CG Jabba into the film, Han walked through Jabba's tail. They CGIed Han stepping on Jabba's tail.

It's about Hans character development. Shooting first sets him up as a rogue who doesn't play by the rules. Which makes his transformation into the hero much more meaningful. If Greedo shot first he's just doing it in self defense and it says little or nothing about his character.

Secondly Greedo is a bounty hunter. He does this for a living. This makes it extremely far fetched if not just outright ridiculous that he would miss a non moving target that is right in front of him. This makes the characters feel invincible and removed any feeling of danger towards the character right off the bat.

It's been said, but it changes Han's character significantly. Someone who shoots back after being fired upon is not a criminal, someone who shoots first is probably going to face charges (except in some States I suppose).

It's the difference between a peacekeeper and a soldier ;).

- Arcada

Indeed.

That's because you are too young (or have a bad memory). I saw both those scenes when I saw Star Wars in the cinema in January 1978 (I remember the date because it was my 5th birthday). However the Jabba scene was not as you see it today. Jabba was a fat bloke, not the slug we first saw in RoTJ, and Fett wasn't in the scene at all. For various reasons these scenes were removed when the film was re-cut and re-titled "Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope". There were other scenes with Biggs in Anchorhead at the start of the film that were not put back.

Still from the original Jabba scene

Lucas was always tinkering and changing things. He just made more of a mess of it with Special Edition than the other versions.

I've read in a lot of posts , also alot of jokes and references to this particular part in the first movie from the original trilogy , i mean why does it matter who shot first ?.

Yes it does because that is one of the pivotal alterations to the movies that changed it from an edgy Raiders of the Lost Arc PG action style movie to a Jar Jar Rated G for Disney kind of movie. Han shooting first was all part of the formula that allowed it to have the impact it did back in 1977.