The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWTOR Is Due For A Couple New Classes...Your Pick?

Josewales

Like every other MMO that is a couple years old, one or more new classes brought in to freshen up the game. If SWTOR was to do the same, what would be you choose.

Me...an actual necro class.

Do you actually mean a new class or a new species? I don't know what a "necro class" would be.

Wookiee slayer

(to avoid misunderstandings... that is meant to be a class, whose sole purpose is to slay wookiee, not a stinking wookiee, who is slaying sentient beings!)

Hmmm, Wookiee Slayer, the ultimate hair band!

Oh right, a new class, um, well how about, uh, receptionist! We could be healers and deception/avoidance tanks! We could have a taunt called Phoning it In! Our shield would be called Duck and Cover. As healers we could use a skill called On Hold to put enemies in stasis for 50 seconds.

It would be awesome! I mean, who wouldn't want to be a Twi'lek Receptionist?

I'm pretty sure Star Wars doesn't have necromancy, they may have issues explaining that one story wise.

Many Siths have practiced in necromancy and raised the dead back to life.

Corruption Sorcerers practice necromancy with Revivification and Reanimation.

Developers and Community Managers have stated that there will not be any new classes to SWTOR. There could be more ACs or skill trees though.

I'm pretty sure Star Wars doesn't have necromancy, they may have issues explaining that one story wise.

Not to derail the thread, but necromancy is indeed a live and well in the forums. :p

On topic.. I do expect we will see a new pair of classes (one for each faction) at some point. But the game is still young, and if they do it.. it's going to be a truck load of work and I'd prefer they take their time and do it right.

Thing is.. they have been pretty good about working on major new things for future release and not giving us all that much insight or even hint about it in advance until they are ready to do so. For all we know.. there is something in process that they simply are not ready to talk about yet.

As I pointed out in a similar thread, a new class would require the recording of 5-7 hours of cutscenes and that's for the storyline only.

It's very important to note that it is far easier, faster, and cheaper to get a single voice actor into the studio to record 5-7 hours of cutscenes than it is to get the eight other class voice actors into a studio to record an hour of cutscenes, each.

While I don't think it makes it any more likely, it's at least worth noting that the voice acting isn't a significant barrier to the addition of a new class. Balancing, itemization (ensuring proper items exist for the class), setting aside class quest areas (along with additional vendors), and integrating all the UI changes would take far more time and money.

It's very important to note that it is far easier, faster, and cheaper to get a single voice actor into the studio to record 5-7 hours of cutscenes than it is to get the eight other class voice actors into a studio to record an hour of cutscenes, each.

But that is NOT where the bulk of the effort is. Nor the cost, as noted in public discussion on the topic by Bioware numerous times.

Story arc is resource intensive, by design, but the voice-over part is not. The story boarding and backstory development alone is probably 10x any effort to get an actor into a studio to voice out a script handed to them after a lot of work is already committed to get to the point where a voice actor is even needed.

Edited by Andryah

If it comes with a new 1-50 story, then I really don't mind what it is, but that ain't gonna happen.

Yep. I seriously wonder if some people that start these threads even read the forums. Like you said, BW isn't going to do anything that would involve them having to produce 50 levels of class story content for a new class. The best people can hope for is an additional AC for every class.

Yep. I seriously wonder if some people that start these threads even read the forums. Like you said, BW isn't going to do anything that would involve them having to produce 50 levels of class story content for a new class. The best people can hope for is an additional AC for every class.

Actually, in the theme of a class expansion.. they might very well do so.

BUT.....

1) they are not going to generally expand the existing class stories anytime soon (they have made that clear).

2) IF, somewhere inside Bioware they are indeed road mapping and working on new classes.. we the players will be among that last to know about it.

So, while these threads are sometimes interesting... they server no purpose other then to be vicariously role play as developers. :)

Because on how bioware does classes (each class has its own story arc for 1-50 with a couple flavor lines in makeb&beyond) they will have to add so much content to make the class have the same experience as everyone else. The costs for that alone would make people unhappy, as it could of went for story content for a new expansion for all the new characters. Plus there's also the fact that for every new class added is going to to be +1 faction of people that want the story to continue for said class along with everyone else. I don't see new classes worth it in this aspect...

However for SUB classes it's a different story. It won't impact anything story related, though the headache will come in for who gets a subclass (or if all do) and how to make these subclasses not break the game. It's still a far less headache then a whole new class with story though.

As I pointed out in a similar thread, a new class would require the recording of 5-7 hours of cutscenes and that's for the storyline only.

They would still have o get that new voice actor to record all the sidequest, planetary quest, flashpoint and ops voice over lines.

They make enough money off the damn cartel market and subscriptions to produce this. I'm sure it will happen eventuallly.

I have already more classes to play than I'd like (I can't limit myself to fewer characters). Having even more classes would make it worse for me. Also, there has yet to be a suggestion for a new class that actually makes me want to play it. If BW came out with an amazing class idea and an amazing new storyline, I wouldn't mind. I'd rather get new content for the existing classes (one that is not OPS or grind or pvp), though.

That'd be great, but I'm having a difficult time thinking of what it could be since humaniod stuff in the TOR timeline is well covered between the base classes and trees.

Were Togorians pissed off about anything in Old Republic days or even around? The "angry animal" class...