[OFFICIAL] - No server forums will be implemented

LoL-K-Noob

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what he said.

He said it will cost them subscriptions. Community keeps people playing who would otherwise quit. Server forums build community. Therefore, no server forums will cost retained subscriptions in the long run.

It doesn't require someone actively quitting in response to something for that thing to have an effect.

I totally second this. While sometimes annoying, server forums were some of my favorite. It's not that right now I'm going to be missing it, but several months down the road when I want to find a new guild or hang out with people from the server I'm going to have fewer options to do it. From there if I don't make a connection with other like minded players I'm way less likely to keep playing even if I'm very fond of this game. Not everyone can or will be online at the same time. I'm sure whatever Bioware does in game they will keep us close in contact with each other but I, like many, have my doubts. Maybe we'll be able to move between servers or something, so that servers don't really become a central focus as to where you end up, the maybe's could go on forever. I'm here to see what happens but I wouldn't make this out to be some kind of death kneel just yet.

I really don't get their reason for this...

Honestly it would take a web developer like 2 hours to make server specific forums... It's just silly.

not to mention you can't search for guilds by server... How annoying is that... I have to go through pages and pages in the guild forum to find one on my server.

Disappointed if they don't do it. It helps build community on the server, but I'm sure servers will just make their own if they want to.

That is debatable. Most MMO server forums are filled with trash talk and people calling each other out for various things.

If a server forum is all that important, start your own in the community section and if folks really want one they will keep it bumped by posting replies to it frequently. I would be willing to bet credits that it would turn into a flame fest and get closed/locked pretty fast.

That is just my opinion though.

That is debatable. Most MMO server forums are filled with trash talk and people calling each other out for various things.

Disagree. Forums in general do this. Nothing stopping me from taking a screenshot and posting it within a thread on the general sub board.

but we also love to see the community coming up with cool stuff on their own., because we can't be bothered

Okay, that last part isn't in the statement but it may as well have been.

Not enough moderators?

They do a fast enough job of locking down and deleting complaint threads in the space of a few minutes.

I remember them saying "we want people to have a great community".

Awesome job on that.

Chat bugged, no server forums and any thread that remotely looks off topic is locked and deleted which would be okay .... if you had an off topic section.

Visit the forums regularly perhaps. I'm not an avid forum poster but I do enjoy to read what is happening, guild posts, general community updates and so on. Offers advertisement opportunities for fledgling guilds, communities or general feedback for a local community rather than the entire game. I honestly think this is a mistake on their part. If you do not like server forums you do not need to use them. However it's unfair to those that wish to read the sticky that offers guilds, communities and announcements.

Seriously, in this day and age it is simple for fans to create their own forums. I would far rather have BW create a sticky with links to fan sites than to have yet another place where people can troll on the official site.

The upside of fan created forums is the trolls are less likely to pollute it as there isn't as great an audience (and thus weeding out the attention seekers). So you get a much higher signal to noise ratio.

tl;dr - I support Bioware's decision.

They seriously need to rethink this, it is a poor decision, and I already posted my reasons why in another post, but most people will not visit unofficial server forums, and Bioware is just making it harder to let people get together and create the community that helps keep MMOs alive.

Rethink it guys and gals.

We can likely solve this in the community with post titles.

[server x] Droids are Dumb Guild is looking for new members.

[server y] Crafted items for sale!!

It's not optimal but it would allow people to identify their posts with their servers.

It's not optimal but it would allow people to identify their posts with their servers.

Have you tried to keep on track of a forum post? For a start search does not work. Secondly the post swims to the third or even sixth page within a matter of minutes. This is not hyperbole.

This is a poor decision and a mistake IF it's true.

We shouldn't have to do this though.

Triss: I agree with you

I think Search will be fixed, and I think if we show them that we need it then they will do it. If every other post says [server x] then it will be obvious that we need server sub-forums. If they get search working you can search for [server x] and hopefully get some meaningful information.

I agree that it's a horrible decision to leave out server sub-forums but rather than just ************ about it I suggest we do something about it.

With the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic came a new and improved forum system for the community

If by new and improved they mean a $200 vbulletin license with cheap SW skin and almost no functionality then yes...it is new and improved. ITs 2005 new and its improved from NO forums at all.

Vbulletin has stuck them in a corner now. They can t do any of the upgrades they should be doing because the software honestly s*cks. They will never be able to do what Blizzard did. No armory, no live avatars etc...

For crying out loud they had to remove the SEARCH function. The search function!!!! on a community forum! Seriously.

The game is great but you seriously screwed up your web community part. Switch to IPB or make your own forums for crying out loud, this is embarassing

Edited by Amnolith

Meh, I think it's *better* that there are no sever-specific forums. Sanctum of the Exalted has a kickass forum and we aren't subject to Bioware's moderation or downtime. The launch day guild leaders are the moderation team, and we haven't found it to be too onerous.

Soooo.... less complaining and more getting out there and building your own server forums?

Paige