The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWG might be getting revived. ..... OFFICIALLY.

renegadeimp

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh the devils advocate approach. People keep stating that EA has exclusive rights to a star wars mmo. However, there isnt evidence to suggest that. Remember, licences are only valid for a certain amount of time, and with Disney/LEC/whoever they are now, things can easily change. Ea will always be susceptible to a monetary offer to alter the terms of the agreement.
There is evidence to suggest that, quoted from the official press release:

Today it was announced that Lucasfilm Ltd. and Disney Interactive are entering into a multi-year, multi-title exclusive licensing agreement with Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) for the creation of new high quality Star Wars games aimed at the core gaming audience and spanning multiple genres for console, PC, mobile, and tablets.

"Our number one objective was to find a developer who could consistently deliver our fans great Star Wars games for years to come," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. "When we looked at the talent of the teams that EA was committing to our games and the quality of their vision for Star Wars, the choice was clear."

Will this change in the future? I don't know, but I really can't see any profit for EA to be made in such a venture as SOE is completely self reliant publisher and developer. And I really think its idealistic to think two SW MMOs can coexist.

I mean lets not forget, SWG was shut down December 2011. SWTOR came out nine days later. Go figure.

Yeh.... no.

They don't have the rights to Star Wars, and EA won't let them go and lose money on this game.

More likely, it'll be a similar styled game (Pre-NGU) but probably in a different Mythos.

Indeed, which I am fine with, if they use the same style then I will have that game for my crafting fix. Then still have this game for my Star Wars Fix. :)

Yeh.... no.

They don't have the rights to Star Wars, and EA won't let them go and lose money on this game.

More likely, it'll be a similar styled game (Pre-NGU) but probably in a different Mythos.

I am not try predict anything because I have no clue they plan to do, I do think two starwars games could co exist, I think this because of the eras

IMO stormtroopers and darth vader trump the old republic timeline because for me that era is starwars, but some people prefor this time period. Also since this game is F2P a lot of people will Probally try both games

Heck if they played it right you could link the games through lore or offer monthly discounts if you have both games. 2x the monthy cartel coins for having both subs. There is money to be made if they want to make it

I am not try predict anything because I have no clue they plan to do, I do think two starwars games could co exist, I think this because of the eras

IMO stormtroopers and darth vader trump the old republic timeline because for me that era is starwars, but some people prefor this time period. Also since this game is F2P a lot of people will Probally try both games

Heck if they played it right you could link the games through lore or offer monthly discounts if you have both games. 2x the monthy cartel coins for having both subs. There is money to be made if they want to make it

Someone else posted a link earlier which showed that EA has the exclusivity rights for 10 years. You do not pay huge piles of money for an exclusivity (and trust me, with an IP like SW, the pile of money was indeed huge) and then let someone use it. That's not how these things work. You buy excusivity deals for a reason instead of just borrowing the IP with a licensing deal.

Star Wars Galaxies trademark was renewed in December by Lucasfilm.

link

So something is going on. EA have the rights to focus on newer games and probably around the new movies. If you look closer, Disney is still allowed to make online, social and mobile games. Had SWTOR been a hit, then maybe EA would have had a better bargaining chip but they don't.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

Star Wars Galaxies trademark was renewed in December by Lucasfilm.

link

So something is going on. EA have the rights to focus on newer games and probably around the new movies. If you look closer, Disney is still allowed to make online, social and mobile games. Had SWTOR been a hit, then maybe EA would have had a better bargaining chip but they don't.

Renewing the Galaxies trademark recently doesn't mean anything - Trademarks have to be renewed every ten years, and Lucas Arts renews all their videogame trademarks regardless of whether or not they have any new games or re-releases planned:

Star Wars Galaxies:

Registration Date: January 2004

Renewal Date: December 2013

Rogue Squadron:

Registration Date: June 2000

Renewal Date: June 2010

Jedi Power Battles:

Registration Date: August 2001

Renewal Date: August 2011

etc., etc., etc.,

Renewing the Galaxies trademark recently doesn't mean anything - Trademarks have to be renewed every ten years, and Lucas Arts renews all their videogame trademarks regardless of whether or not they have any new games or re-releases planned:

Gotta love people who *think* they know it all on here. Actually, SWG was registered in 2002 as a Trademark, with it actually being filed in 2001.

There's also a few games that they didn't renew. Face facts, something is coming that will change the MMO genre for the better.

Gotta love people who *think* they know it all on here. Actually, SWG was registered in 2002 as a Trademark, with it actually being filed in 2001.

There's also a few games that they didn't renew. Face facts, something is coming that will change the MMO genre for the better.

Sorry mate, but while the filing date was in 2001, the Registration Date is January 20th, 2004. That's the date that starts the 10-year clock ticking for when they need to file a Section 8 Declaration and an Application for Renewal. *

Two weeks before they renewed SWG they renewed Galactic Battlegrounds (Original Reg. Date - Dec. 2003; Renewed - Dec. 2013)... I don't think that means we'll be seeing a new Age Of Empires style RTS on the horizon.

SOE's new MMO very well may "change the MMO genre for the better," or at the very least it may give sandbox fans a game they'll love. But it's not going to be a revival of SWG itself or a new Star Wars MMO.

*(For anyone who is wondering how that can be right when the game was released in 2003: Under the Lanham Act the "Filing Date" is the date that matters for establishing nationwide priority for a mark as long as registration is ultimately granted, which is why they were able to put the game out there before the registration was finalized, but the renewal process still keys off of the "Registration Date")

Edited by DarthDymond

After digging around, I think SOE are looking at The Repopulation MMO. People have been saying its like SWG in many ways, they don't have a publisher yet and Smedley says that the information is already out there - which all makes sense.
But he also said its yet to be announced?

If it comes back I have to say I would be one of the 1st people to end my Sub to SWTOR and go f2p and resub with SWG, Simply because that game had being an MMO down to an art form. True sandbox play, True bounty hunting, factions able to DO things with each other (inculcating taking worlds for the rebels or the imps) in a battle front type of way, a Decent world PVP system where you could turn the flag on or off anywhere (not the stupid flag flu system we have here!), you could ROLE PLAY with other RPers, you could form your toons story as you wanted, you could switch profession and factions at ANY time so long as you had the galactic credits, you could post bounties up on a bounty board against other players Or NPCs we had Krayt Dragons, you could build your own home, you had your own ship you could fly around in, not just click on get in go to location (but you could do that to), the worlds were open and you could go anywhere (not hit an inviz wall or a zone that kills you). You had choice of play, something you just DO NOT have in SWTOR you are told how to play and spoon fed bantha-poo-do. So yeah if SWG came back I'd be right back to a REAL SW-MMO not this excuse of an MMO. Edited by BlackfoxKitsune

If it comes back I have to say I would be one of the 1st people to end my Sub to SWTOR and go f2p and resub with SWG,

As would a huge chunk of people if it was done right with an engine that wasn't worse than what TOR has. Which is exactly why it ain't happening. :)

Edited by Jandi

If it comes back I have to say I would be one of the 1st people to end my Sub to SWTOR and go f2p and resub with SWG, Simply because that game had being an MMO down to an art form. True sandbox play, True bounty hunting, factions able to DO things with each other (inculcating taking worlds for the rebels or the imps) in a battle front type of way, a Decent world PVP system where you could turn the flag on or off anywhere (not the stupid flag flu system we have here!), you could ROLE PLAY with other RPers, you could form your toons story as you wanted, you could switch profession and factions at ANY time so long as you had the galactic credits, you could post bounties up on a bounty board against other players Or NPCs we had Krayt Dragons, you could build your own home, you had your own ship you could fly around in, not just click on get in go to location (but you could do that to), the worlds were open and you could go anywhere (not hit an inviz wall or a zone that kills you). You had choice of play, something you just DO NOT have in SWTOR you are told how to play and spoon fed bantha-poo-do. So yeah if SWG came back I'd be right back to a REAL SW-MMO not this excuse of an MMO.

Yet it had a small population...if it was as great as you put it, don't you think it would still be around and have a high population?...

Don't get me wrong I liked SWG, but apparently so called "fans" just up and left at the 1st sign when everything changed.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Yet it had a small population...if it was as great as you put it, don't you think it would still be around and have a high population?...

Don't get me wrong I liked SWG, but apparently so called "fans" just up and left at the 1st sign when everything changed.

I don't believe the masses are a good gauge of whether something is truly good or not. If something (particularly in the entertainment industry) is different from its peers, or requires a little bit of brain power, it seems to fail outright; or at least have low popularity, but a strong, niche community backing it.

Yeah, because the changes made the game not be the game they were playing. I've heard all sorts of asinine claims by people claiming to have been there but the truth is that a week after NGE hit, the players left in disgust. At that point, only the people who played it because it was star wars were left.

The large amount of people were fans of the pre-CU game, not the garbage that it became.

That's not entirely true, and if you paid any attention to the forums at the time, you'd know that. We didn't leave at the first sign of a change. We saw the change on the test server and we begged, pleaded, argued, and eventually ranted and raved about how much we hated the CU. I don't recall exact numbers (although I did tally them once, just to provide those numbers), but it was over 99% of the posts that were vehemently negative from the very first time we saw the coming CU on the test server.

So, in a way, you could say that we left at the "first sign," but SoE had plenty of warning and time to back off or change their minds. The fact that they chose not to and deliberately chose to antagonize their players, in essence giving up on their existing fanbase in an attempt to gain a new fanbase, points very squarely at the fault being entirely on their side. WE were faithful to SWG and SoE until they decided to royally screw us over. Trying to imply otherwise is just plain inaccurate.

Yeah, because the changes made the game not be the game they were playing. I've heard all sorts of asinine claims by people claiming to have been there but the truth is that a week after NGE hit, the players left in disgust. At that point, only the people who played it because it was star wars were left.

The large amount of people were fans of the pre-CU game, not the garbage that it became.

^^^ Exactly.

Oh, and I should probably mention; I had a definite love/hate relationship with SWG, so while I loved parts of that game, there were some parts I was absolutely not a fan of. If this new game (whether SWG2 or not) can take some of the better parts of SWG and combine them with the good parts of SWTOR, I think it'll do well, but I'm going to withhold judgment (and retain a very healthy dose of skepticism because SoE is involved) until I see what comes out.

I am just curious why the trademark for Star Wars Galaxies was renewed and registered by The Walt Disney Co. last month.

http://www.trademarkia.com/star-wars-galaxies-76329360.html

Sweet Jesus! I can think of only a few reasons as to why they would renew that,

A) They intend to develop their own SWG type MMO.

B) They intend to shut down SWGEMU etc and would like a legal means to do so.

C) They are renewing SWG to hand it BACK to SOE? I would sure as hell would hope they don't let EAware touch it with a ten-foot pole at this point.

The above options are merely speculation, nothing more. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

Edited by WillCaedes