Cartel Market Schematics Suggestion

EPCOT

I was inspired reading another thread about crafters needing some love since the advent of the Cartel Market. I am a Master Craftsman and really enjoy that part of the game. I started thinking along the lines of schematics being included in the Cartel Packs. To make sure that they would have value for a particular character, I would suggest the following.

- The schematic "token" would drop for a particular profession. (Artifice / Synthweaving / Biochem / Cybertech / Armstech / Armormech)

- The "token" would be not be Bound prior to being used. So it could be traded or sold on the GTN.

- Once the token is used, there would be a random outcome and the resulting schematic would be BoP. So you don't know if you will get a "Green", "Blue", or "Purple" schematic.

- The gear crafted from these schematics would NOT be able to be Reverse Engineered. You can only learn them from the original BoP schematic which cannot be sold or traded.

There are many options available for what gear could be included. Artifice could get unique lightsaber crystal color combinations to craft. Special armor set pieces for Synthweavers and Armormechs. A line of distinct weapons for Armstech. Implants, Earpieces, Stims, etc. Whatever categories each profession has could be included for schematic ideas.

This would really give crafting a shot in the arm and generate excitement again. You could even sprinkle in some Legendary schematics.

What do you guys think?

The schematic would be BoP, but the items that you craft after you learn it would be BoE. So they could be sold on the GTN, or made to give to your Alts, or anybody else. :)

If you received a "token" for a profession that you don't have, then that token could be sold on GTN, or traded. So it wouldn't be useless. Once the "token" is used, then the resulting schematic becomes BoP. So you wouldn't want to open a Biochem schematic with an Artificer. I suppose there wouldn't be any harm in making the schematic Bind on Legacy either. The point is that it shouldn't be able to be sold once you find out what schematic you got. Otherwise the schematics would become a commodity and lose a lot of their value.

You take your chances, and if you get a "Purple" or even a Legendary schematic, it would remain rare and the items you craft would be valuable. It would also discourage people from simply farming the schematics to sell. The more schematics you get, the greater the chances of a duplicate. :eek:

My idea was to add research to crafting. Like, put a research lab on the hub planets or the fleets, and have non-profession-specific tokens drop in-game. When you get a research token, you take it to lab the to start the research on your craft or gathering/crew skill. Depending on the rarity of the token (green, blue, purple) you get a chance for an exceptional result.

Research results could range from quicker mission/craft time or increased crit chance, right up to bonus stats on your crafted items. The bonus wouldn't have to be anything huge, just enough to make things interesting. Like, imagine you're an Armstech crafter who crits on a research attempt and ends up with +20 power on all their crafted weapons. Or a Cybertech who gets +20 mainstat on all their armoring/mods/earpieces. +20 isn't exactly game-breaking, but I think it would certainly make the crafter's goods in-demand.

Regardless, I think that they have to do something with the crafting system. At the moment, it's *extremely* weak imo, and crafting is something that I think a lot of players (me for one) enjoy. Right now its pretty much only good for outfitting levelling alts, since it's usually more profitable to just sell the mats outright.

But EAWare might have painted themselves into a corner with the obvious conflict of interest between the CM and crafting. I'm sure there's some beancounter who would object to any possible interference to their CM golden egg-laying goose.

Having BoP schematics in Packs in not a good idea, unless you are going to have pack for each crafting profession.

However, I think the entire crafting system and what it offers needs some serious retool in light of CM

The packs would contain a profession specific "token" which is not BoP. It would be tradable or sellable until it was "used". So, if you received an Artifice token and you couldn't use it, then you could trade or sell it. However, once you "used" the token and received an actual schematic, then it becomes BoP. So, if you tried to use an Artifice token by a character with Armormech, it would give you a message stating that you do not have the required profession to use this item. You would then trade or sell it as you saw fit.

I would consider using a token the same as opening a pack. You get the thrill of "gambling" that you get something good. But you don't get to change your mind when the bet doesn't pay off.

The idea would be good for BW too. It would encourage people to buy more packs if the only way to get a rare schematic is through these tokens. So I don't see it necessarily causing a conflict with the "golden goose".

To implement something along the lines of your suggestion, they could just add some schematics to the various CM Reputation vendors. They could be traded either for credits and depend on Rep level, or for CM Certificates. As long as the schematics were BoP, it would still encourage crafters to spend more on the CM - either to acquire enough rep points, or gather enough Certificates. Though I still like my suggestion above better - differentiation between crafters of the same profession would be awfully nice imo.

Something else they could consider is the permanent embargo of older packs and allowing crafters to RE the items. They'd obviously have to work out a system so that you couldn't RE stuff from your collection though, and the +41 crystals would have to be bumped up to L50 once RE'ed.

I think we can agree that they need to do something, regardless of what it is. Could it be that they can't see that for some players, crafting and trading is an important part of the game experience?

So long as its Bind to Legacy.

I dont want, for example, to get a sweet looking lightsaber, only for it to be locked to my artificer. Or great looking armor locked to my armstech guy.

BoE would make more sense, that way you can trade the gear you craft, and transfer it between alts, but it won't be as good as Gree BoL gear.

To implement something along the lines of your suggestion, they could just add some schematics to the various CM Reputation vendors. They could be traded either for credits and depend on Rep level, or for CM Certificates. As long as the schematics were BoP, it would still encourage crafters to spend more on the CM - either to acquire enough rep points, or gather enough Certificates. Though I still like my suggestion above better - differentiation between crafters of the same profession would be awfully nice imo.

Something else they could consider is the permanent embargo of older packs and allowing crafters to RE the items. They'd obviously have to work out a system so that you couldn't RE stuff from your collection though, and the +41 crystals would have to be bumped up to L50 once RE'ed.

I think we can agree that they need to do something, regardless of what it is. Could it be that they can't see that for some players, crafting and trading is an important part of the game experience?

That's another option to have the CM Reputation Vendors carry them. Although having them in the Cartel Packs would probably be more appealing to BW since it would encourage crafters to purchase more packs.

Why would they do this?

It is additional work for a smaller market which means less profit.

They could create an item or set of armor, then make the code to turn it into a schematic, then sell that on the CM to maybe 5% of the people that would normally just purchase the items straight off, or they can just sell the item to everyone on the CM and make more money.

Why would they do this?

It is additional work for a smaller market which means less profit.

They could create an item or set of armor, then make the code to turn it into a schematic, then sell that on the CM to maybe 5% of the people that would normally just purchase the items straight off, or they can just sell the item to everyone on the CM and make more money.

Packs are by far the biggest money maker from the CM. This further enhances the desirability of Packs. The items crafted from these schematics are unique to these "tokens" and not available anywhere else. So ever a very small percentage increase in packs purchased would be huge. Any incremental profit is good.

Despite what the critics say, not everything BW does is centered on the Cartel Market. They do continue to develop the game to retain subs and maintain interest. GSF was a free enhancement. Why did they create GSF? To make their subs happy and attract new subs. If they rework and enhance the crafter portion of the game, which would take a small fraction of the effort of GSF, then they further their goal to retain subs and maintain interest. They can't afford for the game to get stale for their monthly sub population. Non-crafters win too by being able to buy the gear and perhaps get some Legendary gear.