DEV question / statement about the fate of pvp in SWToR

AK_Snowbat

Well "fun" is also subjective. I am glad you have fun in that environment, but it should not be the baseline design for competitive play.

While we are on the subject, I don't really understand why you would play PvP besides for the TRUELY competitive aspects of beating another person instead of AI. We already debunked the incredibly wrong stance that gear is the end-all at endgame, the objectives/game design are exactly the same. The only thing left is the incredible unbalance (toon level) and skill level variance. I don't think I have had one good answer as to what is the difference between endgame and lowbie as to why its more "fun".

(not directed at anyone in particular, but)

Maybe it hides your warts as a PvP player? Make you feel special, then you are knocked down a few pegs at endgame? A place where you feel like there will always be someone at or below your skill level?

Smells of participation trophy to me (in a game that already has been watered down because of such things).

On that note last time I did level cap PvP was when u had to turn in token to get a box to get a piece of pvp gear( lvl 50 cap)

not fun getting the same piece of gear in ten boxes in a row so i stopped doing lvl cap PvP with at that time . Sorry I can only take being the cannon fodder for so long.

After reading post by yourself and others in the umptienth thread concerning this in the two weeks I've been back. I might dust off the 50 get to 55 and test your applied mechanics. I also have read your gearing post so I'll try it once again and see if it's all you claim

Well "fun" is also subjective. I am glad you have fun in that environment, but it should not be the baseline design for competitive play.

While we are on the subject, I don't really understand why you would play PvP besides for the TRUELY competitive aspects of beating another person instead of AI. We already debunked the incredibly wrong stance that gear is the end-all at endgame, the objectives/game design are exactly the same. The only thing left is the incredible unbalance (toon level) and skill level variance. I don't think I have had one good answer as to what is the difference between endgame and lowbie as to why its more "fun".

(not directed at anyone in particular, but)

Maybe it hides your warts as a PvP player? Make you feel special, then you are knocked down a few pegs at endgame? A place where you feel like there will always be someone at or below your skill level?

Smells of participation trophy to me (in a game that already has been watered down because of such things).

I imagine its because stuns,roots and healers are less prevalent in lowbies. It just becomes a kill fest which to me is incredibly boring, especially at higher levels where I just mow down 4-5 people with ease. I can see the appeal to casuals though. They don't have to really think about what they are doing and there isn't an abundance of stuns yet so they can just keep clicking away on their abilities with little though put into it. But that's probably also why hardly anyone ever does more than 100k in lowbies.

On that note last time I did level cap PvP was when u had to turn in token to get a box to get a piece of pvp gear( lvl 50 cap)

not fun getting the same piece of gear in ten boxes in a row so i stopped doing lvl cap PvP with at that time . Sorry I can only take being the cannon fodder for so long.

After reading post by yourself and others in the umptienth thread concerning this in the two weeks I've been back. I might dust off the 50 get to 55 and test your applied mechanics. I also have read your gearing post so I'll try it once again and see if it's all you claim

It hasn't been like that for almost two years...The bag mechanic didn't even last more than a few months. You buy each piece individually now. Tier 1 pvp gear the most expensive piece is like 1200 warzone comms. Or was it 1500? I don't remember. It's relatively cheap.

It's well documented that you can walk into 55 PVP with leveling gear and be perfectly viable from a stats perspective. If you need more proof here is a SS I just did today:

Here I am in damn near BiS Obroan fully augmented.

Here I am in a "cobbled" augmented PvE set.... Don't worry, I'm rich and I can gift this augmented set to my companion tank... Mind you, I and wearing Lvl 58-61 purples (pre-endgame PvE items, and not the LOL exploit ones) from planetary/classic comms, drops from FPs, and crafting. I also didn't spend any time min/maxing this as evident by my LOL accuracy rating.

The difference is less than 100 bonus damage. If I took the time to min/max it, it would be even less. The only pieces that I keep on are PvP relics, since PvE ones don't work in WZs. So yeah, I am comparing Pre-Endgame PvE gear to BIS (almost 100% Min/Max) Obroan PvP gear, and they are on par. So no more using gear as an excuse (outside of augments).

Even before they made gear effectively irrelevant, I tried to tell people gear/EXP was not why endgame is imbalanced. I would take a smasher in recruit gear over a Sage in the same gear any day of the week. Since their gear was identical in stats (for the most part), that had little to do with the differences between the two.

Edited by L-RANDLE