Gathering thoughts on Rakghoul Resurgence

DimmuJanKaarl

Like many I'm stuck at work and can only experience the return of the Rakghoul plague vicariously through other forum posters. While I'm not one to form an opinion before trying something myself, I am curious to read others' opinions on this event.

personally there are a few things I don't like seeing, for example purple rep trophies only dropping on hm Eyeless. and also people already fighting/arguing over some champ mob that is hard to come by (not sure what the actual issue is). on the other hand it sounds like there is some fairly fresh and unique content here. the whole cave system setup sounds cool and the types of mobs, so I can't wait to check that out.

so if you've run through the event already, what are your thoughts? like it? love it? hate it? why? be sure to post pointers and tips for things to look for, check out, or avoid altogether. how about group content? also, how is the feel of running alongside such a wide spread of player levels? and can anyone confirm whether the dreaded PvP auto-flag issue is present in this event like it was during Gree? It doesn't sound like there are any pvp-specific missions, and being on a pve server I won't be expecting/looking to do any pvp within the event at all.

personally there are a few things I don't like seeing, for example purple rep trophies only dropping on hm Eyeless. and also people already fighting/arguing over some champ mob that is hard to come by (not sure what the actual issue is).

Not dropping the purple rep trophies just means that it will take longer to max out the rep, which means more people will come back when the event returns and do the event more often.

There are at least 7 champion mobs that are needed for a bunch of Achievements. Some are surrounded by other enemies which need to be aggroed before the champion boss.

I just find it a joke, that yet another ranged favoried/melee hatred boss has been added. I assume they just hate the melee classes and must love the BH from the movies. Circles spamming all over the ops, and one of them around the mob... In all my time here I have only seen 1 boss (of my recollection, and i have tried them all, of what i know) that had something against ranged. But i have seen quite a bit that had something that was a pain for melee. I doubt this game will ever get better/chance. Guess the developers all play ranged classes.

I just find it a joke, that yet another ranged favoried/melee hatred boss has been added. I assume they just hate the melee classes and must love the BH from the movies. Circles spamming all over the ops, and one of them around the mob... In all my time here I have only seen 1 boss (of my recollection, and i have tried them all, of what i know) that had something against ranged. But i have seen quite a bit that had something that was a pain for melee. I doubt this game will ever get better/chance. Guess the developers all play ranged classes.

The infected phlegm that the Ops boss drops sounds like it favors melee over ranged: ranged players have to stop their casts to move out of it and he does not drop it on himself.

There are a few bosses that attack ranged players with a random hard hitting attack. There are others where you have to stay within a certain distance of the boss in order to be safe.

The infected phlegm that the Ops boss drops sounds like it favors melee over ranged: ranged players have to stop their casts to move out of it and he does not drop it on himself.

There are a few bosses that attack ranged players with a random hard hitting attack. There are others where you have to stay within a certain distance of the boss in order to be safe.

There are also mobs and bosses in Dread Fortress and Dread Palace that require you to be within a short range of them to actually do any damage.

Honestly, playing mainly tank, though vanguards/powertechs are considered "ranged tank" they aren't really a ranged class at all. Most of the moves require you to be up close and personal, and that is true of any tank, which i think is what these mobs are set up for. It's not that the developers hate melee, it's set up for tanks. Makes sense that the most damage would be melee to me.

another ranged favoried/melee hatred boss has been added

Welcome to MMOs in general, bud; it's not a problem unique to ToR. And it has nothing to do, really, with what class(es) the devs play/favor. It's just difficult to implement anti-ranged mechanics, especially with the nature of ranged being 'casters that need to be immobile turrets; melee's mobility tends to make up for the crap we have to deal with, which is based mostly around mechanics intended for tanks.

I did everything but the Ops on my tank. Didn't see any of the champions while there. I also didn't see anyone lower than 51 attempting it. I think the event is OK. Not terribly fun, but not horrible either. I enjoyed the original much more. I liked that it was open world and had quests that took you all over Tatooine. I also liked that anyone that could get to Tatooine could easily participate.

Like many I'm stuck at work and can only experience the return of the Rakghoul plague vicariously through other forum posters. While I'm not one to form an opinion before trying something myself, I am curious to read others' opinions on this event.

personally there are a few things I don't like seeing, for example purple rep trophies only dropping on hm Eyeless. and also people already fighting/arguing over some champ mob that is hard to come by (not sure what the actual issue is). on the other hand it sounds like there is some fairly fresh and unique content here. the whole cave system setup sounds cool and the types of mobs, so I can't wait to check that out.

so if you've run through the event already, what are your thoughts? like it? love it? hate it? why? be sure to post pointers and tips for things to look for, check out, or avoid altogether. how about group content? also, how is the feel of running alongside such a wide spread of player levels? and can anyone confirm whether the dreaded PvP auto-flag issue is present in this event like it was during Gree? It doesn't sound like there are any pvp-specific missions, and being on a pve server I won't be expecting/looking to do any pvp within the event at all.

I like the event, its fun, well thought out and pulls you in as soon as you land on Alderaan..i mean once your out the spaceport you will get attacked by infected citizens, pretty cool..

Im on the Bastion, so for the most part its tame, but you get mobbed occusionally by opposing factions. I play both and go jumped by both..

The most annoying quest so far has been the macrobinoc one, finding those probes is a pia, and of course you end up getting ganked ..but so is life in a pvp server.

As for "the Eyeless" ive done 16 HM/SM, HM is holy sheet with teh Adds insane amount of them spawn..and my only gripe, is melee get tunnel visioned on boss ,and rdps is left to deal with adds like always in ops..Not sure what peeps on this thread are talking about, all melee has to do is thrash on boss, and not step on crap lol..

SM is a cakewalk..btw

All in all, its been a great experience..oh and yea people stealing bosses is a ******.. We had a ops grp going for Shock WB, and then had him snatched from us by 5 guys, while we waited for tank to get to us..

Edited by Scyphon_

The lag is horrible, making the event essentially unplayable. To make matters worse, it's on Alderaan, where it actually takes longer to switch zones than CTRL-ALT-DEL out and restart the program and just hope to get in a lower pop zone (imp pop was 54 when my system got locked out).

No clue what the in-tunnel experience is like, I'll have to try later and see if I can get that far.

Events always seem to bring out the worst in the players on a server.

Other then that, nice event, been asked to have it back by players in the forum since the first version went away, and we are going to see all sides of opinion about the event -------> because this is a gaming forum.

Switching instances is faster in the tunnels, so no worries about that.

Overall, I like the event so far, having done everything except the OP. I'm not sure whether or not I'll get the armor sets, but the legacy weapons are a very welcome thing for me. Six hours of vaccine coverage is plenty for its price, and it also means other players won't infect me - I won't need to avoid public places like during the winter event (going to make sure I'm not subscribed during that this year).

Stuff seems to respawn fairly fast and flagging exploit hasn't hit me yet. I've had people desperately try to make me flag by throwing snowballs, parking next to stuff I'm fighting and so on, to no avail.

Switching instances is faster in the tunnels, so no worries about that.

I was locked up (and thus locked out) before I could get to the tunnels, so "no worries" is not correct.

I think the problem is that there is a World Boss standing in front of the tunnel entrance, as things were 'jerky, but playable" up until I actually got within sight of the Spire.

As a point of reference, I had no problems with the Gree events.

Edited by eartharioch

Events always seem to bring out the worst in the players on a server.

Other then that, nice event, been asked to have it back by players in the forum since the first version went away, and we are going to see all sides of opinion about the event -------> because this is a gaming forum.

1) RJerks will be jerks, but if you tell them that they only have a limited time to get something, you'll see more at once. Then, there are people who *normally* aren't jerks, but start to feel the pressure after they get ninjad a bit and have that "limited timer" looming over them, and then there are the people who see all the other ninjaing and decide to just get what they need and *then* be nice for the rest of the event.

2) This is one of the few times that "Back by popular demand" seems to be usable accurately :) [minus the one guy complaining about the return of green-black color crystals]

Edited by eartharioch

I have an L31 Smuggler alt who just finished his Tatooine quests. Wondering what impact the event will have on my leveling experience (re: lag, load times, etc).

In any case, it should be interesting from a role-playing perspective. He's about to get off his ship to deliver some trivial package, only to be immediately attacked by zombies. If my character was able to truly select from a wide range of options "F--- this sh--, I'm out of here" would be the clear choice.

Edited by Rufussay

Overall, I think this Event is great, I only have a couple relatively small gripes compared with all the good it brings to the game.

The Good:

-Bringing back the Green-Black Crystals and Companion Customizations but NOT bringing back the Containment Officer Gear: They were going to have some people pissed no matter what they did with the old gear (some people wanted everything from the first event to remain unique to it; other people wanted a shot at all of that gear) but I think they struck a nice balance. Those who participated in the original still have their "I Was There" gear that no one else has access to: the Containment Officer set; those who didn't get a chance to play the first time now have access to some neat and popular items from it: the crystals and companion skins.

-Bringing back the "infection" mechanic but having everything else be brand new: I like that they went all out and made this a new, unique event, rather than just flipping the original back "on" and tweaking it to make a reoccurring event. When people talk about the original event, the infection mechanic is what everyone remembered, what made it so popular, so I like that EA/BW took that feedback and incorporated it into the Resurgence, but otherwise went ahead and gave us a new zone, a new boss, and a lot of new rewards. They weren't lazy about making the event, and they listened to feedback - great combo.

-Having it move from world-to-world during different occurrences: One of the things I like about the Bounty Contract Week event is that it gets people back out to worlds that otherwise never get visited once you've leveled past them. I like that it seems this event will be cycling between Alderaan, Tatooine, and I believe Corellia. It's nice to see these worlds getting utilized again, even if it is only as a gateway to the Infested Tunnels zone.

The Bad:

-The Ganking (PVP servers only): I'll be the first to proclaim that if you roll a character on the PVP server you should know what you're getting yourself into - including some ganking. BUT the design of events shouldn't overly encourage ganking (open world PVP absolutely, but not 55s one-hitting 25s).

The Gree Event works because while it's in a pretty confined area, it's only for high-level characters, so the PVP is pretty fair. The BBA Event works because while it's for all levels, it's so spread out that even if you get ganked once, chances are the guy will have moved on in short order. But here, we have a pretty small area that all levels are getting funneled into - if you're getting ganked, chances are there's going to be a constant stream of people who'll keep on doing it.

If EA/BW wanted this event to be available for levels 25 and up, they should have taken some steps to mitigate how easy it is for the 55s to completely shut down lowbies' ability to quest (maybe use some sort of Bolster mechanic for example). Again, some level of ganking is always going to happen, and on balance that's ok, it goes with the territory, but it shouldn't be facilitated quite this much.

-Uninspired Quests: Aside from the infection mechanic and the one daily quest that uses it, all of the other quests in this event are things we've seen plenty of times before: Kill these mobs and click on these items; Click on these items and kill the mobs that spawn from them; Scan these things with your macrobinoculars; etc. Not every quest needs to be breathtakingly original, and people actually tend to like sticking to their comfort zone most of the time, but I would have appreciated seeing one or two more quests that added something new to the mix.

Edited by DarthDymond

I tried it on my lvl 49 and gave up. I"m on a pvp server and with all of the levels squished into one tiny space, there is no hope for the little guys. It's essentially a lvl 55 event with the theoretical possibility of doing it on lower levels. I was hoping zoning into the tunnels would break people up into level brackets, but nope, all tossed in there together without room to spit without hitting the opposing faction.

And why did they put the vendor in the heroic area? The whole thing seems very poorly thought out for lower level characters. The first rakghoul event worked significantly better.

I tried it on my lvl 49 and gave up. I"m on a pvp server and with all of the levels squished into one tiny space, there is no hope for the little guys. It's essentially a lvl 55 event with the theoretical possibility of doing it on lower levels. I was hoping zoning into the tunnels would break people up into level brackets, but nope, all tossed in there together without room to spit without hitting the opposing faction.

And why did they put the vendor in the heroic area? The whole thing seems very poorly thought out for lower level characters. The first rakghoul event worked significantly better.

Found your problem.

The only thing Im rather ticked off about is the 'Youre not high enough level' attitude coming from level 55s in an area thats 25+. Sure theres level 55 strongs, elites and champions. But thats more or less because there needs to be something there FOR 55s. And before anyone says 'Well if youre not high enough dont be there'. Im running a lvl 53 Main. Its two levels. Do I get my butt handed to me against a 55? Sure. But not in a group. If the area was meant for solely 55s. I doubt BioWare would advertise it as a 25+ and that they would bother making trash mobs level 25.

Its quite obvious anyone running anything lower then 50 is going to have a problem without some 55s in a group. But Bioware didnt make the zone solely for 55s. And they intended to give both lvl 55 players and low lvl players a chance to team up.

Edited by Foxtrotmikelima

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.