Vigilance Guardian PVE compedium by Rydarus V2 (Updated for 2.6)

GrandLordMenace

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah ok, when I get my commendations back up I will probably go with more str anyways to do more damage. And my intention wasn't to level up as a tank. I just always seem to get thrown into the roll when I find a group.

Do what I do. Tank in shien and make 'em deal with it.

Or simply queue with DPS only checked. And do class quests while waiting. You may wait around 2 hours, bbut no one can ask you to tank.

I'd have to say from anecdotal parsing (it's been a few days so it might not be 100% true) but there seem to be times when plasma brand will proc then 2nd stack of zen (and thus MS comes off cooldown). This will happen twice before overhead slash will become the 2nd stack proc ability. When this happens, you have 6 seconds to use MS, instead of the usual 3 (IIRC). In this case I usually wait to use MS, electing instead to get my first stack of zen with OS before I channel MS. I'm interested to see if our rotation can be broken down into phases with cookie-cutter if X, then Y situations, but I think with the cooldowns being so different that it will not become the case. I hope for that, in fact, since it will resemble the foresight and decision making involved with a Watchmen Sentinel rather than a SS Gunslinger. This in turn requires skilled players to do well with the spec, such being the case with it for the 2+ years the spec has been around.

I just started playing with parsec and after two 1.5 million dummy parses it looks like my average is right at 2500 DPS.

I'm in full augmented non-set bonus 72s. I don't have a FR relic yet just the "underworld" level SA and BA and I didn't use my clicky in any parses.

Is this low for my gear? I know if I had the two piece set bonus and could use saber thrown instead of strike it would go up some. Hopefully after I get on today after work I can play some more with it. My APM is right at 34 and I think I saw a reference before that it needs tobe in the 40s to be "good".

You should always use your click relic on cooldown during parses. It helps. And I'd say 2500 is low for someone in all 72s. Rydarus suggests that in 72s you should be touching 3k on a parse - however take that with a grain of salt bc it is a rough estimate.

After the new patch came in I'm touching 3300-3400 in 72s, 2x 2pc set bonuses, augmented, and some 78 mods/enh thrown in from Comms Gear. I haven't had time to fine tune my rotation but after a few quick parses to get a feel for the new changes I'm really loving the update. A significant 300 (on average) more damage on my parses.

You should always use your click relic on cooldown during parses. It helps. And I'd say 2500 is low for someone in all 72s. Rydarus suggests that in 72s you should be touching 3k on a parse - however take that with a grain of salt bc it is a rough estimate.

After the new patch came in I'm touching 3300-3400 in 72s, 2x 2pc set bonuses, augmented, and some 78 mods/enh thrown in from Comms Gear. I haven't had time to fine tune my rotation but after a few quick parses to get a feel for the new changes I'm really loving the update. A significant 300 (on average) more damage on my parses.

I hope it shoots up now that the patch is in effect. I had so many "natural cooldown" master strikes it wasn't even funny. In my first parse it was so bad Overhead Slash matched it in damage dealt with both being at 18%.

I just joined an ops group last night and did my first HM boss so getting both 2pc set bonuses is still likely a ways off for me. I don't see a way to get my APM up into the 40s from 34-35 though............it isn't like I sat there doing nothing ever.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

Our APM pre 2.6 was around 36 for a good parse (and internet connection). Now that we're using MS much more often, this will drop since it's a 3 second channel. Mine has dropped to 35, but Kishek is still hitting 36 APM on his top parse.

It's funny you mention lag. That is the one issue I normally don't have with this game (except when the strange server wide lag issues appear) as my connection is normally 15-30 ms but while I was parsing it seems towards the end of the parse strange lag would occur, don't know if that is because of using the parsing/combat log or what.

Now FPS/stuttering on fleet, in operations, warzones, etc.........even though I have an overpowered PC I suffer those just like everyone else.

Good to see my APM isn't bad though. One thing I need to start doing is using combat focus more often but after today's patch I think it will be far less necessary.

My first 3k was in arkanian and dread guard relics but otherwise full 72s. with like 3 78 mods. I consider 3k in full 72s doable especially with the way the buffs gave us so much dps.

My first 3k was in arkanian and dread guard relics but otherwise full 72s. with like 3 78 mods. I consider 3k in full 72s doable especially with the way the buffs gave us so much dps.

Man I'm a ****** *** Vigilance player then. Whenever the cooldowns were over I used the ability...... I thought there can't be more to it then that, but apparently I was wrong.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

Man I'm a ****** *** Vigilance player then. Whenever the cooldowns were over I used the ability...... I thought there can't be more to it then that, but apparently I was wrong.

Look at this parse by Kishek and if your ability usage is the same as his (after you've clipped your parse to the same length as his which is 4 min, 21 sec), then you're doing it right. Until then, see what you're using too much and not enough, and practice, practice, practice until you're in the same ballpark.

http://www.torparse.com/a/561929/10/0/Damage+Dealt

Look at this parse by Kishek and if your ability usage is the same as his (after you've clipped your parse to the same length as his which is 4 min, 21 sec), then you're doing it right. Until then, see what you're using too much and not enough, and practice, practice, practice until you're in the same ballpark.

http://www.torparse.com/a/561929/10/0/Damage+Dealt

He definitely has more Blade Storms than me. Also, MS is by FAR his most damage dealing a ability at 30% with a few others pretty close at 12 each.......mine was more like this:

Master Strike 18.6 percent

Overhead Slash 18.1 percent

Blade Storm 12.5 Percent

Maybe since I've only done two my terrible luck with Zen Strike was playing a part here (plus I bet he has the MS set bonus) so tonight I will find out what I can really do without the RNG issues.

I also had to use a lot more Slash because I can't use saber throw more than once.........I see he used force push twice as well, good idea since it is a lot more damaging than quick strike if you find yourself without focus.

Nice guide, I was trying to figure it out myself but decided to take a peak anyway.

Figured using OHS and PAB on cooldown was key already, Master Strike not so much anymore since it will never run it's own cooldown completely anyway :p

But I couldn't get my head around how to optimize the cooldown usage, but this seems good.

i have a question about the set pieces. (it might be idiotic)

i've been wondering if its smart to use the first set of the Weaponmaster's gear (increases the damage by Master Strike by 8%) and the first set with the Vindicator's gear (reduces the minimum range of saber throw by 10 meters).

no my question is 8% of Master Strike is it better from the 8% bonus damage on Blade Storm (that the Vindicator's full set bonus gives)?

i have a question about the set pieces. (it might be idiotic)

i've been wondering if its smart to use the first set of the Weaponmaster's gear (increases the damage by Master Strike by 8%) and the first set with the Vindicator's gear (reduces the minimum range of saber throw by 10 meters).

no my question is 8% of Master Strike is it better from the 8% bonus damage on Blade Storm (that the Vindicator's full set bonus gives)?

The answer is literally in the OP. Please read before posting so we don't clutter up this thread! :)

So I compared my best parse with Kishek's to see what I would have done if I had a 78 MH, and I saw some interesting results. I would have only done 3745 to his 3816. I clipped my parse to 4 min 21 sec, which was his TTK and noticed some decently different skill usages, mainly BS, OS, and MS. I had 1 more use of MS because he had less OS, and more BS usages. I run with a bit more crit in my gear than him, and I still need some BiS enhancements, but those are tough to come by when you don't get to raid on your favorite alt ;)

Here are the two parses:

his: http://www.torparse.com/a/561929/10/0/Damage+Dealt

mine: http://www.torparse.com/a/566090/time/1390747473/1390747734/0/Damage+Dealt

I got 28 OS, which is using it essentially on cooldown for a 4min 21sec (or 261 sec) parse. His 26 uses means he averaged 1 OS every 10 seconds. Conversely, he used BS 25 times, which averages out to using BS about every 10.5 seconds. So on average, he's delaying BS by 1 GCD, and delaying OS by a little less than 1 GCD. I'll admit to some less than stellar forethought and used MS when BS had <3 sec left on its cooldown, and I also didn't use BS at all in the execute phase. I have since decided that ignoring BS in the execute phase is indeed a dps loss, so I won't be doing that anymore. Just using Dispatch as a rage dump when it's not free seems to be the way to go (and we'll see it used far more in actual raid situations, enough to keep it on cooldown I believe). Just thought I'd try to break it down and it looks like it is quite possible to keep most of our hard hitters on cooldown, but delaying them by 1 GCD can still produce excellent results. Naturally all of this depends on lucky crit rates, but other than his 50% crit on PB, nothing was superbly out of the ordinary for his 110 crit gear.

At the end of the day, though, I've heard rumor of people breaking 3900 yesterday. I'll be curious to see if anyone uploads their parses, or if they belong to these elite, nebulous, world leader dps that never share their parses with the community that dulfy and carlos seem to admire and have contact with so much. Us lowly community sharing users may be left to wallow in the darkness without their rays of light to guide us ;)

So I compared my best parse with Kishek's to see what I would have done if I had a 78 MH, and I saw some interesting results. I would have only done 3745 to his 3816. I clipped my parse to 4 min 21 sec, which was his TTK and noticed some decently different skill usages, mainly BS, OS, and MS. I had 1 more use of MS because he had less OS, and more BS usages. I run with a bit more crit in my gear than him, and I still need some BiS enhancements, but those are tough to come by when you don't get to raid on your favorite alt ;)

Here are the two parses:

his: http://www.torparse.com/a/561929/10/0/Damage+Dealt

mine: http://www.torparse.com/a/566090/time/1390747473/1390747734/0/Damage+Dealt

I got 28 OS, which is using it essentially on cooldown for a 4min 21sec (or 261 sec) parse. His 26 uses means he averaged 1 OS every 10 seconds. Conversely, he used BS 25 times, which averages out to using BS about every 10.5 seconds. So on average, he's delaying BS by 1 GCD, and delaying OS by a little less than 1 GCD. I'll admit to some less than stellar forethought and used MS when BS had <3 sec left on its cooldown, and I also didn't use BS at all in the execute phase. I have since decided that ignoring BS in the execute phase is indeed a dps loss, so I won't be doing that anymore. Just using Dispatch as a rage dump when it's not free seems to be the way to go (and we'll see it used far more in actual raid situations, enough to keep it on cooldown I believe). Just thought I'd try to break it down and it looks like it is quite possible to keep most of our hard hitters on cooldown, but delaying them by 1 GCD can still produce excellent results. Naturally all of this depends on lucky crit rates, but other than his 50% crit on PB, nothing was superbly out of the ordinary for his 110 crit gear.

At the end of the day, though, I've heard rumor of people breaking 3900 yesterday. I'll be curious to see if anyone uploads their parses, or if they belong to these elite, nebulous, world leader dps that never share their parses with the community that dulfy and carlos seem to admire and have contact with so much. Us lowly community sharing users may be left to wallow in the darkness without their rays of light to guide us ;)

Just to clarify... you mention he is delaying BS and OS

So on average, he's delaying BS by 1 GCD, and delaying OS by a little less than 1 GCD
. Question.. what is he delaying those abilities for?

He is PROBABLY delaying it for BS, in my parses my BS is way more delayed than by 1 GCD XD, I average probably somewhere around 1 every 11-12 seconds but my Overhead and Plasma are always spot on.

I'd ask him yourself though.

Also I notice he almost never uses strike somehow, and I'm not quite sure how he exactly does it.

I use maybe 5 in a 1.5 mil parse, sometimes more, but the way he does it, is quite insane...

Edited by GrandLordMenace

I never have to use strike anymore either. Blade Sweep, Combat Focus, or Throw are always up if I need extra focus. And Paowee, he's delaying OS for BS or for more focus, I'd assume. There are a few times where I need to delay a hard hitter to get the resource I need to pull off the next set of cooldowns.

I never have to use strike anymore either. Blade Sweep, Combat Focus, or Throw are always up if I need extra focus. And Paowee, he's delaying OS for BS or for more focus, I'd assume. There are a few times where I need to delay a hard hitter to get the resource I need to pull off the next set of cooldowns.

Interesting, the way I've been doing it is making sure that I have EXACTLY enough focus to pull off overhead and plasma etc without wasting a single GCD. I've been pretty OCD in that if i need to plasma brand and it just came off CD, but i only have 4 focus, I am doing it wrong. As such I pretty much have to do a strike every once in a while in foresight.

No one's breaking 3.9k.

If it was, it'd be posted and there is little chance of that happening with the projected crit rating you need to get for 3.9 i at least %50.

I had a slightly problematic 3.8k parse (gonna post one when I break kishek's number), but so far hovering at 3.75k range in slightly lucky parses.

We are not Scrapper's doing 4.2k ( luckily, since they are so gonna get nerfed and we willl probably stay here)

I'm happy with DPS. 3.9k is a dream parse wth this gear tier.

And no, no one's hiding parses. Best in the world is posting them on either TORParse or forum or both. On all specs and classes.

Edited by Manweth