Is anyone else being billed early for their subscriptions?

Jaick

nowhere in a contract does it say that you will be billed on a specific date every single month. common sense says? you should have money ready on your account around approximate billing time - at least few days early. becasue billing cycles do shift. and as long as you are not double billed? they have done absolutely NOTHING wrong.

Sure it does. Every 30 days. Not 27 days, not 29 days, 30 days.

My cable and phone companies (both of which bill on a 30 day cycle same as EAware ) manage to charge on the appropriate date. Sometimes they'll charge after the date if it's a weekend, but never before

Edited by Zorvan

Well after being on hold for 2hrs I pretty much gave up.

funny. when I called them I was on hold for 3 minutes. that's less than what i spend with my utility company....

you know? both of you are acting like those people that show up on "customer is not always right" website. and that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

You realise how silly that comment of yours sound? Do you open up a lawsuit everytime someone farts?

Could not have expressed it better myself. :)

Threads like this are of course famous for flushing faux-lawyers out from wherever they are hiding. :p

As to the OP..... what is your subscription days remaining balance on your account? Just because they billed you a few days early DOES NOT automatically mean they screwed you out of 4 days. So check that first.. then contact customer support.

For example: I use game time cards. I usually apply a new card a week to 10 days before my play time is up. And when I do.. they add exactly 60 days to whatever remaining numbers of subscriber play time I had remaining.

I didn't realize they could put e-mails and support tickets on hold. Nice try though. You got your 15 minutes of attention. Move on.

Um guy, they don't respond to billing problems through support tickets, that something you have to call in for. Anything relating to billing or account security must be done over the phone.

funny. when I called them I was on hold for 3 minutes. that's less than what i spend with my utility company....

you know? both of you are acting like those people that show up on "customer is not always right" website. and that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

No they just dont seem to care.

Edited by Jaick

Could not have expressed it better myself. :)

Threads like this are of course famous for flushing faux-lawyers out from wherever they are hiding. :p

As to the OP..... what is your subscription days remaining balance on your account? Just because they billed you a few days early DOES NOT automatically mean they screwed you out of 4 days. So check that first.. then contact customer support.

For example: I use game time cards. I usually apply a new card a week to 10 days before my play time is up. And when I do.. they add exactly 60 days to whatever remaining numbers of subscriber play time I had remaining.

28 days left. It's not counting the days I still had before I was charged.

Sure it does. Every 30 days. Not 27 days, not 29 days, 30 days.

My cable and phone companies (both of which bill on a 30 day cycle same as EAware ) manage to charge on the appropriate date. Sometimes they'll charge after the date if it's a weekend, but never before

Actually, while generally speaking automatic billing is done on the same date each month, there is no commercial law stating that they must do so that I am aware of ..... only that they must give you 30 days of play time for the payment (ie: what you actually paid for).

It is still not clear that the OP had any time taken away when the subscription billing initiated. That's not actually how they keep track of days remaining play as a subscriber. Why? Because their system takes into account the fact that they can also add free time to the account, add game time cards, add one time subscription buys, add 90 or 180 day subscriptions, etc... so days of subscription remaining is a running total. Don't believe me? Put in a 60, 90, or 180 day subscription and then check your days remaining balance on your account.

Edited by Andryah

28 days left. It's not counting the days I still had before I was charged.

Then you have a billing error, or (and I'm not accusing you of anything, nor asking for proof) the facts about your subscription are somehow different they you have presented (for whatever reason).

Only Customer Support can resolve this for you. And clearly.. it's not happening to everyone ( but that could just be a timing thing, it's not proof there is not a glitch).

Edited by Andryah

Probably not actually, a smart lawyer wouldn't take the case ;)

Doesn't the lawyer get paid regardless of outcome? It seems like an easy money. Take something even though you know it is a total BS that will be smashed the second any judge looks at it and make money?

Actually, while generally speaking automatic billing is done on the same date each month, there is no commercial law stating that they must do so that I am aware of ..... only that they must give you 30 days of play time for the payment (ie: what you actually paid for).

It is still not clear that the OP had any time taken away when the subscription billing initiated. That's not actually how they keep track of days remaining play as a subscriber. Why? Because their system takes into account the fact that they can also add free time to the account, add game time cards, add one time subscription buys, add 90 or 180 day subscriptions, etc... so days of subscription remaining is a running total. Don't believe me? Put in a 60, 90, or 180 day subscription and then check your days remaining balance on your account.

You know I only respond to threads like this because I know you'll show up sooner or later and I like you. I like you a lot. :jawa_wink:

Doesn't the lawyer get paid regardless of outcome? It seems like an easy money. Take something even though you know it is a total BS that will be smashed the second any judge looks at it and make money?

(assuming US jurisdiction here)

There's quite a few reasons not to take the case - the fact it's going to get quashed so quickly, you're not likely to make a ton of money even if you're billing hourly (it's unlikely a random TOR subscriber suing Bioware is going to be paying you much money), you're missing out on potentially more enriching cases, you're going to tarnish your professional reputation (or at least your standing with that judge) to at least some extent, etc. Basically, even on the face of things, you're not really gaining much unless you're desperate for work. Not to mention that (depending on what kind of evidence you actually have), you could find your client suing you for falsely claiming the case was winnable, etc.

Then there's a more serious matter - it's possible you could get sanctioned under Rule 11(b) of the Rules of Civil Procedure, which allows the Court discretion to (essentially) punish you for filing frivolous litigation, and is also a black mark on your professional record/reputation. I'm not sure whether Bioware would actually seek to impose sanctions but I'd guess they would in a case like this (to discourage other suits). Whether a judge would actually rule the action as frivolous isn't for sure, of course, but it'd be a pointless gamble if the case is one person going "I got billed on the wrong day and I'M SUING BIOWARE"

Edited by Lesaberisa

In many jurisdictions, no. Even seen one of those "We don't get paid unless YOU get paid" commercials on TV for lawyers? They're basically telling you they intend to follow the law. They may as well promise not to kill you if you lose the case.

Also, if you live in a place where charging for losing cases is legal, a lawyer who makes his business out of taking on these cases and just raking in "easy money" would probably be disbarred on ethics violations. You're supposed to be on your client's side in every case, not just taking his money and laughing when the case gets thrown out. Do it often enough for enough money, you could actually find yourself in court on fraud charges.

Violating a company policy is not the same thing as violating the law. If that policy is part of a contract then you might have a case.

In this case I would keep an eye on the actual account time and make sure that the OP is not being shorted game time. If he/she is then a ticket is in order to rectify the mistake. Jumping straight to a lawsuit only benefits the lawyers :)

Billing issues are rectified through phone actually. And i did not say jump straight to legal action, i said i would consider it, i did not specify, my apologies.

Bioware is partnered with EA, assuming they are under a contract in which case, bioware's policies do affect EA. Unless EA makes those policies and in that option, they are affected directly. So if the issue is not handled, legal action is a proper road to take.

Armchair lawyers are one of the best sources of entertainment.

Company bills person 4 days early (assuming they were actually cheated out of paid time). Cost = $2.

Internet person with no actual legal knowledge beyond what they've seen on TV. Cost to file in small claim's court = ~$65.

Company's response: "We're sorry for the inconvenience. We've credited your account $2 and given you 30 days free."

You go right ahead with that lawsuit, buddy.

Make us proud!

Did not state i would jump straight to a lawsuit straight away. Now did i. May have implied it, but that is my mistake. Apologies.

But in reguards to a small issue, this is not one. While yes, it's a small amount of money, to me, principle is everything, you leave the wrong impression now don't you?

Edited by soppp
Misinformed

Did not state i would jump straight to a lawsuit straight away. Now did i. May have implied it, but that is my mistake. Apologies.

But in reguards to a small issue, this is not one. While yes, it's a small amount of money, to me, principle is everything, you leave the wrong impression now don't you?

Dude, your very first response to this thread was to jump immediately to suing them.

So was your second one.

Dude, your very first response to this thread was to jump immediately to suing them.

So was your second one.

No, i said i wouldn't be hesitant. I did not specify. I was simply implying that if this is the case and bioware refuses to rectify the issue, then i would consider legal action.

My second reply was a response to another person being a smart aleck.

• 2 years later...
I was just billed today. The last billing was on the 23rd of December. I still had about 4 days left.

Check your statements people, you might be getting days cut off.

What they should do like every other game is bill monthly so if u make a payment on the first it will be billed on the first of ever month instead they bill every 30 days and your actually making more payments a year. Id like to see them make it monthly so they can just take it on time every month instead of switching days cause switching days is not good for me when they take payment late it screws up my checking account

No. In personal injury cases if the client doesn't get an award the attorney doesn't get any money. it is what is called a Contingency fee agreement. If the court does not award damages, neither the client nor attorney gets money.

What they should do like every other game is bill monthly so if u make a payment on the first it will be billed on the first of ever month instead they bill every 30 days and your actually making more payments a year. Id like to see them make it monthly so they can just take it on time every month instead of switching days cause switching days is not good for me when they take payment late it screws up my checking account

It only changes if you change it. i.e. - Every time you update/change your card/payment type, reinstate your account from a lapse, or change subscription amounts, then the auto draft date will automatically change to 30 days from the date of the change.