Can someone explain what is the difference between RP servers and the other ones?

Nebdar

Can someone explain what is the difference between RP servers and the other ones?

I am mainly interested what Role-playing mean in the SWTOR world, how does it look like, what is all about?

Do have something different then the other servers ? different dialog choice some extra options or missions?

No - RP servers have nothing inherently different from PvE or PvP servers game-play wise. They are supposed to encourage environments in which one can role-play - you'll find role-play based guilds and the occasional cantina RP, but, because of Bioware's extremely lax (to be fair, almost every game has extremely lax discipline and believe RP'ers to be something of a burden) attitude towards dealing with trolls and harassment, not a lot of RP is done in public.

The RP server I was no had more RP than the main servers but wasn't 100% in character. And after a couple weeks I got lax about being in character as well so I transferred to a higher population server.

I'd say it's not worth it unless you have friends or a guild where you want to RP.

Yeah, RP servers are exactly like regular servers, except you're expected to have a decent name for your character, and not talk about sports or RL news or the weather outside etc. all day long on the public channels.

There usually are "roleplay" guilds on the server that have their own (more stringent) rules. You'll have to find them and apply to them yourself (check the forums for that server for adverts).

RP servers are just like the other servers. I have characters on Ebon Hawk and Jung Ma. 99% of the people don't role play here. These other guys are totally misleading you.

Being on EH is hardly different from being on a regular PVE server, and that's the truth. The only difference is that if you try to make fun of people for role playing, you'll be laughed at because you rolled on a RP server. That's the only substantive difference. I suppose there's also the "cantina RP" on EH where all of the really bad role players flock to the fleet cantinas to embarrass themselves. (Yes, my apprentice, let us discuss the dark side next to this bartender and this holo of a Twi'lek stripper.) Most player names are still like CMDshepard or sexxigrl.

With that said, there is some really entertaining stuff you can only experience on Jung Ma. I watched a trooper guild role playing a patrol on Alderaan only to be interrupted by a bunch of imps pouring out of stealth and obliterating them. It was pretty entertaining. On Jung Ma, there are a hand full of guilds that really do put effort into combining role play with PVP and you won't find that on any other server. On EH, people only know how to do scripted role play. They can't handle situations where they're not always in control 100% of the time. To be honest, they're just bad role players. On Jung Ma, you don't have a choice. If a sith attacks your Jedi, you are forced to defend yourself. If this is a role playing motivated attack, it's one that's non-scripted and out of your total control.

Edited by HaoZhao

To concur partially with other posters, RP servers are mechanically just like other servers, and there is no particular enforcement for chat and such. People still PvP, do operations, etc. No one is really in character all the time, and you're not really expected to be.

HOWEVER, I would still recommend that you roll on an RP server if you want to rp, as this is where virtually all the rp guilds are. They offer everything from "Rp if you like, but there's nothing official" to "All guild communications must be in-character at all times, and we have rp events every night". Guilds offer the true roleplaying of the game, and sometimes you can find fun, constructive stuff elsewhere too. I just wouldn't count on it for meeting all your rp desires.

Responding to the above poster, whether you decide to roll on an rp or rp-pvp server is entirely personal preference, and it doesn't make you any less of a roleplayer if you would prefer to be on a non-pvp server.