Class Ship as Bomber?

NotThatOne

Problem is that the class ships are absolutely massive. I think it was the codex entries that mentioned they were all somewhere around 75-85 meters long. Not exactly the same scale as what we're fighting with.

I am curious how big a Quarrel is really. It is difficult to tell in GSF, but it seems pretty darned large.

But yeah, there are places in the game where you can see models very similar to NovaDrives, Pikes, Blackbolts (with S-foils open), and the upcoming Razorwire Imperial Bomber... and none of them are more than a fourth of the size of a Fury, which I believe is the smallest class ship. A Quarrel might be half the length...

Would be sort of cool, though you'd be more of a small gunship (in the traditional Star Wars capital ship sense) or patrol vessel.

Big, potent guns, 100 rapid fire missiles launchable in volleys of 4, and more than twice the hull strength of any of the fighters. Of course, you'd never shake a scout or strike fighter once they were on your tail.

It would be a great feature to have if fleet battle sorts of missions came along, but there's really not a place for small capital ships in a pure dogfight environment, which is what we have now. You'd have to have a sort of hybrid PvP/PvE setup to make it work (or pure PvE).

You could, like, block the main entrance on Kuat Mesa's B by just sitting there :D

Sadly, enemies and allies could fly through you. This little engine downfall kinda ruins existence of huge ships, since now in our small controllable ships it is kinda hard to hit each other, those massive titans would often collide with others. (or more like, others would collide with them)

Problem is that the class ships are absolutely massive. I think it was the codex entries that mentioned they were all somewhere around 75-85 meters long. Not exactly the same scale as what we're fighting with.

Bombers are massive starfighters, protected by powerful shields and heavy armor, and bristling with a dizzying array of specialized weaponry.

Give me my class ship as a bomber!

Yes, like Armondd said, our class ships are more like Frigates in terms of size, firepower, and shields than a Fighter.

Everyone's class ships are between 2-3 times the size of the largest gunship.

That being said, they'd make the most sense as a gunship style vehicle (free aim, etc.) but be considerably slower and less maneuverable than the other ships (thus giving them vulnerability). Could equip them with multiple quad cannons so they can absolutely shred things, and give them more ordinance space.

Yes, like Armondd said, our class ships are more like Frigates in terms of size, firepower, and shields than a Fighter.

No, no. Patrol boats, or very small (capital) gunships. Class ships aren't big enough to be cutters, nevermind corvettes, frigates, or cruisers. It's the difference between 0-4 individual capital ship class weapons and 6+ installations with multiple capital ship class weapons. Not to mention a lack of fighter bays and fighters.

The gap between a class ship and a frigate is bigger than the gap between a scout and a class ship. Bombers and class ships are at the very very small end of long range fighting ships. Meaning, enough space for at least two pilots, a bathroom, a bed, and maybe a galley. Kind of funny when you think about it, but the most important things for a long range fighting ship are the bed, the bathroom, and the kitchen.

No, no. Patrol boats, or very small (capital) gunships. Class ships aren't big enough to be cutters, nevermind corvettes, frigates, or cruisers. It's the difference between 0-4 individual capital ship class weapons and 6+ installations with multiple capital ship class weapons. Not to mention a lack of fighter bays and fighters.

The gap between a class ship and a frigate is bigger than the gap between a scout and a class ship. Bombers and class ships are at the very very small end of long range fighting ships. Meaning, enough space for at least two pilots, a bathroom, a bed, and maybe a galley. Kind of funny when you think about it, but the most important things for a long range fighting ship are the bed, the bathroom, and the kitchen.

The class ships are repeatedly referred to as frigates in several codex entries in-game. But in this era, frigate means something different than in classic era, when a frigate is like the Nebulon-B.

Surely these class ships are roughly the same size of the Millennium Falcon, and we that how it fared in dogfights vs. tie fighters in both performance and relative size.

Nope. They're about two and a half times the size of the Falcon, actually.

If we were going strictly by canon here, our fighters wouldn't be exiting Hyperspace into combat, either. We'd be piling out of a hangar bay. According to everything I've read, hyperdrives small and efficient enough to work on a star fighter weren't developed until the final stages of the Clone Wars, the ARC-170 and Etas-E2, being among the first to carry them.

All I'm asking for is some fan service. Take the existing models, and scale them down to be on par with the bomber models, and lemme take my Thunderclap into PvP, dammit :D

I'd even be okay with it being a Cartel Coin ship.

If we were going strictly by canon here, our fighters wouldn't be exiting Hyperspace into combat, either. We'd be piling out of a hangar bay. According to everything I've read, hyperdrives small and efficient enough to work on a star fighter weren't developed until the final stages of the Clone Wars, the ARC-170 and Etas-E2, being among the first to carry them.

All I'm asking for is some fan service. Take the existing models, and scale them down to be on par with the bomber models, and lemme take my Thunderclap into PvP, dammit :D

I'd even be okay with it being a Cartel Coin ship.

The fighters do exit from hangars. We always spawn where the capital ship is.

The fighters do exit from hangars. We always spawn where the capital ship is.

We clearly exit hyperspace, and with a beacon we can hyperspace in to other places (like a beacon spawn).

I'm not in favor of the class ships, because they all look different but would have the same stats. Lame IMO. I like that the current ships perform differently (with the exception of the cross faction mirrors, which are lame enough!).