The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Darth Vader outfit.

BeeblesTV

It's been brought up before and general consensus was that its way too far out lore wise. I guess it was said that Vader's stuff was based on ancient Sith war droids and in that case go ahead an implement something like an old Sith war droid just not Vader's stuff... makes no sense for something that does not exist in the game's time period to be in the game.

i agree with the previous 2 posters, way too lore breaking, it wouldn't even make sense in the "copy-cat fanboy" way that can be used to justify the Lore Outfits from Knights I & II... say you see someone wearing a Darth Malak or Revan outfit you can say they're fanboys of Legendary people, won't work for Vader as nobody in the Old Republic has not an idea of who Vader is...

that idea belongs with the other lore-breaking we-need-a-time-machine-to-make-this-work Pod Racers idea... discarded...

Edited by Elly_Dawn

I would really like my Juggernaut to look like Darth Vader.

The closest you will get is to dye some armour black, they will never do a Vader outfit, I suspect that they would loose the license if they did (which states they can never contradict existing lore) and Vaders outfit was specifically designed for him (this is lore BTW), so anything similar enough to remind you of his outfit would be a no-no.

i get your point on that and those are things i'm not happy with either, just like they added a mini-Pod-Racer looking thingy people can ride on, so not cool, it's all Wookies living on Endor... but, let's not encourage them to do so any farther...

i thought it was a snowblower...

Edited by Elly_Dawn

I understand the lore concerns, but in a game where I see people riding around on a hover lawnmower with christmas lights, I have a hard time believing bioware cares about that sort of thing anymore.

That's the kind of argument, that lawbreakers give... "he did hit the guy, so it is okay for me to hit that other guy".

Breaking the lore does not justify breaking the lore further.

And we as the community are in charge of giving Bioware as much backfire as possible on the crude lore-breaches, to remind them that they cannot get away with everything.

As cool as that might be, Vader's outfit is just too iconic. By allowing everyone to buy the suit and wear it would diminish it's awesomeness, not to mention it's lore breaking.

They could do a suit that pays homage to Vader, like the Force Unleashed outfit that Starkiller wears.

it wouldn't even make sense in the "copy-cat fanboy" way

Yes it would. After having turned to the Darkside, Anakin could have become a fan of the ancient Sith Lord Darth BeeblesTV, and had his personal taylors make him an outfit based on his idol's.

Edited by Orlogg

Go on Imperial fleet, go the interfleet transport, then take a shuttle to the Ziost Shadow. go up to the bridge deck and you'll see a very familiar sceen. everything that Sith NPC is wearing is in the game and is the closest you be able to get to looking like Vader, and its a good look too.

• 6 years later...

More outfits similar to the movies and shows are a great idea.

Swtor's Star Wars verisimilitude is completely anachronistic already. No rational argument can be made to explain why some certain technologies, species, planets, styles, and cultures do not progress for thousands of years while others do. Vaders look is no more iconic than Sand Peoples, Chewbacca, or Star Destroyers and more which are prevalent in Swtor.

Swtor's Star Wars verisimilitude is completely anachronistic already. No rational argument can be made to explain why some certain technologies, species, planets, styles, and cultures do not progress for thousands of years while others do. Vaders look is no more iconic than Sand Peoples, Chewbacca, or Star Destroyers and more which are prevalent in Swtor.

It basically comes down to "licensing". For whatever reason, first LucasFilm, and now, Disney restricts the use of certain elements. It doesn't matter if it's lore breaking or not.

I use Unrelenting Terror Armor Set + Black & Black Dye.

Belt = B-100 Cybernetic, because the UT belt has this distracting white that throws the whole thing off.

If you want better gloves, maybe one of the Bodysuits (Revealing or Concealed), or maybe Diabolist.

The Imperial Crimson lightsaber crystal seems to be based on Darth Vader's from the old movies, but I prefer to just use red.

It basically comes down to "licensing". For whatever reason, first LucasFilm, and now, Disney restricts the use of certain elements. It doesn't matter if it's lore breaking or not.

Although often cited and feasible, there is literally no proof or precedent with other games and media that I have seen that this is true, until a dev steps in and says definitively that this is the case I dont find it believable Darth Vader plush toys and silly childrens stories, games, and cartoons all exist despite these "licensing" excuses that are constantly used here by armchair legal reps.

They don't need a rational explanation, just look at history. Many cultures didn't advance in any meaningful way for thousands of years. We also see many examples of societies regressing (dark ages). The rapid development of the modern world is an exception, not the norm.

And Vader is a great deal more iconic than Sand People, Wookiees or Star Destroyers. There were thousands of them, only 1 Vader

I'd be fine with a "vader inspired" set, but I do not want a copy. It'd be totally immersion breaking seeing a bunch of Vader clones running around. It also wouldn't be long before someone died it pink and I don't think anyone wants to go there...

They don't need a rational explanation, just look at history. Many cultures didn't advance in any meaningful way for thousands of years. We also see many examples of societies regressing (dark ages). The rapid development of the modern world is an exception, not the norm.

Please list these examples of cultures that stagnated for thousands of years, I cant wait to research them it truly sounds fascinating and unbelievable.

Also, addressing your second point- they are all characters and costumes in a media, there was not thousands of any of them and there isnt 'just one Vader' the costume changes in practically every production and your understanding of the term iconic seems flawed.

Please list these examples of cultures that stagnated for thousands of years, I cant wait to research them it truly sounds fascinating and unbelievable.

Also, addressing your second point- they are all characters and costumes in a media, there was not thousands of any of them and there isnt 'just one Vader' the costume changes in practically every production and your understanding of the term iconic seems flawed.

I never said stagnating, I said little meaningful advancement. There is a difference

Ex. many indigenous peoples remained minimally changed, especially from a technological perspective, for a very long time (thousands of years in some cases). This isn't to say they didn't do quite well for themselves, they just didn't have the social or environmental pressures that cause change (aka, don't fix what ain't broken)

I'm not going to bother pulling up examples of dark ages for you, there are plenty of both well known and more obscure examples that you can Google for.

As for costumes, who cares about the costumes? It's the story and lore people care about, even if it's not real. I'm not even a RPer and seeing Vader clones would annoy me.

Google the rain forrest cultures, some fascinating reading on them, some tribes are still hidden.

Waas also a TV show about bringing modern people to tribes to live as they live, and haven't changed in thousands of years, etc.

I never said stagnating, I said little meaningful advancement. There is a difference

Ex. many indigenous peoples remained minimally changed, especially from a technological perspective, for a very long time (thousands of years in some cases). This isn't to say they didn't do quite well for themselves, they just didn't have the social or environmental pressures that cause change (aka, don't fix what ain't broken)

I'm not going to bother pulling up examples of dark ages for you, there are plenty of both well known and more obscure examples that you can Google for.

As for costumes, who cares about the costumes? It's the story and lore people care about, even if it's not real. I'm not even a RPer and seeing Vader clones would annoy me.

This thread is literally about costume, no kidding, read the title.

Google the rain forrest cultures, some fascinating reading on them, some tribes are still hidden.

Waas also a TV show about bringing modern people to tribes to live as they live, and haven't changed in thousands of years, etc.

I just dont think a primitive culture in isolation in the jungle is an adequate comparison to a whole technologically advanced galaxy with practically infinite shared worlds, species, and cultures.

I think its a moot point but, I am aware that there are modern primitive tribes, I am unaware of any evidence that they 'haven't changed for thousands of years.'

This thread is literally about costume, no kidding, read the title.'

I'm aware of that, but the reason these wouldn't make sense is because of established lore.

You want to counter that point, you need to make an argument how a unique armour set could appear thousands of years before it's inception. How many props the film makers had is totally irrelevant.