Thinking of making a sorcerer

FarkleSparkle

Hi I'm thinking about making a Sorcerer for my next class. I just wanted to know about them before I started leveling. What do you think about the abilities? Did you like the story? Does the gear look cool? Feel free to talk about your sorcerer and what you like about them. Thank you!

personally i think the abilities could use more variation,it's mostly lightning,however some of the abilities(force storm for example) look really good imo.The story is decent but quite predictable.The armor looks good as is alot of empire armor(Pub got the worst fashion designers ever).

Overall i think it's a pretty good class despite the lack of imagination regarding abilities and the predictable story.

To the OP I just re-subbed like 2-3 weeks ago, and my main is (was) a Sith Sorcerer. I am leveling him to 55, or rather trying, but I left 3 months after launch and Sith Sorcerer's were pretty rocking then, and now, I can't seem to beat a pack with a blue in it without being nearly dead (or sometimes dead) and always having to re-summon my companion. I have tried Madness and Lightning and there just isn't enough burst, CC, and damage mitigation on this class compared to others to be worthwhile. I am not going to use words like viable, because someone will come and say they totally are, I will say not worthwhile and not nearly as easy for similar or lesser results as other classes. My sniper, jugg, assassin, and PT so far don't have to work as hard just to barely get by as my sorcerer and what is worse is that its a ton of work for bottom of the pack dps. So my advice, DO NOT roll a Sorcerer. Mine is stalled out unable to beat the Archon on the Makeb missions series, and honestly I will probably leave him there while I level my sniper to cap instead.

On a related note, unless they get way better in the late game, my arsenal merc who used to kick butt similarly now can't survive most even leveled packs. He is only 33. I also have a 34 sniper and the difference is night and day. I sprint through blues and yellows on the sniper and never really get in trouble, their dps is that strong. So stay away from Mercs and Sorcs like the plague.

I don't know how much longer I will stay subbed as I am getting annoyed that my old toons suck now, and a good sign that I am heading back to over the game is that I am here posting instead of playing.

Edited by Dominemesis

Try this: Get Treek -companion purchased from Cartel Market- always choose planet commendations as a reward and always update armor/mod/enhancements/barrel for you and Treek. Unless you have millions of credits this is the only way and a mandatory action. (or craft it)

Next play with Treek in tanking stance and experiment with Treek in healer stance both work even against elites.

As a Sorcerer once you figure out how to burst heal (recklessness+Polarity) Treek will take on Elites with ease. Also, once you get Force Storm (http://www.torhead.com/ability/7eXKWUa/force-storm) at level 34 PvE questing becomes super easy...Send Treek and just Storm everything down as it stuns and slows affected normal targets.

Keep Static Barrier on Treek at all times if he's tanking!

Remember this is a gear based game so find a way top get millions of credits -selling Cartel items is a good and fast way- and you will glide through content!

My sorc is still one of may favorite characters. The storyline is great and the gear us the best looking into the game (Battlemaster without the helmet).

I don't know why people are having issues with story material. It's been a while since I went through the story but going from 50 to 55 was a breeze through.

The class is definitely complicated so that could be where the difficulties lie. It's not a simple 3 button rotation to win. The rotations can be very complex depending on procs. But if you learn the class they're pretty amazing at brushing aside mobs like they were nothing.

The class is definitely complicated so that could be where the difficulties lie. It's not a simple 3 button rotation to win. The rotations can be very complex depending on procs. But if you learn the class they're pretty amazing at brushing aside mobs like they were nothing.

Sorc is BY FAR the easiest class to level (and play) so I don't get where that is coming from. You don't have any energy/force issues and your rotation stays pretty much the same from level 20, due to how few abilties sorcs have. It's also, in relation to some of the other classes, easier to get a grasp of which abilties to use.

And the story is the worst and stupid. It doesnt fit the SW theme at all.

Edited by MidichIorian

Don't listen to these haters, sorcs are perfectly viable at every level and can put out some of the best burst/aoe dps in the game.

Personally I like the stories and ability animations, but as for the gear, you can basically dress however you want with all the adaptive gear. If you want light armor though, I suppose some of it looks decent enough.

To the OP I just re-subbed like 2-3 weeks ago, and my main is (was) a Sith Sorcerer. I am leveling him to 55, or rather trying, but I left 3 months after launch and Sith Sorcerer's were pretty rocking then, and now, I can't seem to beat a pack with a blue in it without being nearly dead (or sometimes dead) and always having to re-summon my companion. I have tried Madness and Lightning and there just isn't enough burst, CC, and damage mitigation on this class compared to others to be worthwhile. I am not going to use words like viable, because someone will come and say they totally are, I will say not worthwhile and not nearly as easy for similar or lesser results as other classes. My sniper, jugg, assassin, and PT so far don't have to work as hard just to barely get by as my sorcerer and what is worse is that its a ton of work for bottom of the pack dps. So my advice, DO NOT roll a Sorcerer. Mine is stalled out unable to beat the Archon on the Makeb missions series, and honestly I will probably leave him there while I level my sniper to cap instead.

On a related note, unless they get way better in the late game, my arsenal merc who used to kick butt similarly now can't survive most even leveled packs. He is only 33. I also have a 34 sniper and the difference is night and day. I sprint through blues and yellows on the sniper and never really get in trouble, their dps is that strong. So stay away from Mercs and Sorcs like the plague.

I don't know how much longer I will stay subbed as I am getting annoyed that my old toons suck now, and a good sign that I am heading back to over the game is that I am here posting instead of playing.

Sorcs more so than Mercs were nerfed to the south pole af 1.2 and we have slowly had things taken away since then like our Aoe knockback they made it a frontal knockback and we also had a 30 yard stun that was changed to 15 yards they took instant whirlwind through talents and now it's about 1.4 with talents if you have a little alacrity.

The healing tree got some buffs but then they buffed other healers so that the sorc healing is near the bottom now.

Mercs were strong in the Pyro tree for awhile but about 6 months ago they were nerfed I think with the expansion now the tracer missle spec is the only viable dps. Sniper out of your three classes is the strongest DPS wise they have a healing armor debuff and can put out a lot of pressure and have some good defensive cooldowns.

Sorcs are decent in the Madness tree but require more skill than the average class to play well. If you fighting packs you can whirlwind pull and sic Khem on greens with aoe abilities up to draw agro then aoe them down spot heal him when needed. Gear is important for your companions. and for your sorc.

You don't have any energy/force issues and you rotation stays pretty much the same from level 20, due to how few abilties sorcs have. It's also, in relation to some of the other classes, easier to get a grasp of which abilties to use.

Lol! I'd love to find out that your main is a smash monkey.

You're only gaining your main sorc skills AFTER 20, and the proc skills you get don't come till the 40s. I'd totally agree with you UPTO level 20, but all classes are basically 3 button rotations upto that point.

Playing a Sorc (with some skill) involves alot of setup in your rotation starting out with a couple skills then mixing in more as the procs come in (which you have to watch for since they're RnG procs).

A basic lighting rotation is at minimum 4-6 different attacks (depending what procs). And that's not counting the 2 situational AoE attacks, bubble shielding friendlies, knockbacks, pulls, or cleanses you should be doing. There's not enough hot keys by your hand to map all you need there are so many skills.

As for force usage it's not the worst offender anymore but it's very is to get depleted since we never use our basic no force lightsaber attack. Once you set your attack up you get so many instacast procs that you're using your main heavy hitting attacks almost constantly. The only reason we're not always drained is good force regen skill options and we have to sprint away from attacks so often due to our fragility.

No wonder you hate the class. If you run around spamming only affliction and lightning you were probably getting beat down at every turn.

It's either that or you haven't played the class since before 1.2 when we could dominate by just casting lightning all day. It's been a long hard slog since then and things are only just getting decent again.

Edited by Kerensk

My rotation as a 54 sorc right now is like 6-8 ablitites and i proc instacasts like no other. I never run out of force unless I'm spam healing. Its a fun class to play. Yes it has downsides but if you look past them then it will probably be worth it.

You mean the fact that any good marauder or deception sin will ruin your day and have you near dead before you get a chance to react? Yeah I find that fun.

Or maybe the fact that a sniper can ruin your day if you haven't got anything to hide behind, because as ranged dps, they have us beat every which way. Kinda sad really. And heal to full, good luck with people that found their interrupt button.

And yeah 54 is very different to 55 pvp, nothing says you suck, seeing 20k of you health drop from a deception sin, or the every fun, leap/smash from 2 smashmonkeys and you're just a splatter on the ground hitting respawn.

Edited by Chemic_al

You mean the fact that any good marauder or deception sin will ruin your day and have you near dead before you get a chance to react? Yeah I find that fun.

Or maybe the fact that a sniper can ruin your day if you haven't got anything to hide behind, because as ranged dps, they have us beat every which way. Kinda sad really. And heal to full, good luck with people that found their interrupt button.

And yeah 54 is very different to 55 pvp, nothing says you suck, seeing 20k of you health drop from a deception sin, or the every fun, leap/smash from 2 smashmonkeys and you're just a splatter on the ground hitting respawn.

Well I've given up on playing pvp. Its as simple as that. Ive been playing pvp as my sniper and i screw everybody up most of the time. But if you want to PvE then sorc is fun to play. At least for me.

Well I've given up on playing pvp. Its as simple as that. Ive been playing pvp as my sniper and i screw everybody up most of the time. But if you want to PvE then sorc is fun to play. At least for me.

Yep, I raid on my sorc, but ranked pvp no. It's too much of a headache being the one being focus fired every single match.

Sorcs use to be very good back before 1.2 as people said, now they are just "eh". It's still a fun class, but you can't look at the dps parses or meters and just have to roll with it. I was very very strong up till 1.2, when my guild was raiding EC HM. Then the nerf happened and it was never the same again.

I log onto my 55 sorc from time to time, but he's mainly my bank mule atm. My issue is that I created both an Ops healer and a Sniper, so those classes are the best at what they do these days. There's a huge problem when you are sniping with a mix of 68 ilvl gear toping 2800+ dps in your sleep, while your sorc in similar gear can barely pass 1800 dps as madness. Or attempting to heal as any other class once you have a geared up operative healer is just a joke.

If you never rolled another class, you won't know what you are missing. BUT if you have ever rolled a Mara or Sniper (as I have), then play your sorc, you immediately notice the difference. It truly is night and day. The only way not to notice, is if you've been underground for a long long time.

There's a huge problem when you are sniping with a mix of 68 ilvl gear toping 2800+ dps in your sleep, while your sorc in similar gear can barely pass 1800 dps as madness.

I doubt about those particular numbers (especially about sleeping part in 5 min dummy parse), but surely snipers deal a lot of damage. However, Sorc with madness skill tree has much better mobility and great utility for the ops groups. For certain content when you have to move a lot sorcs could do really impressive damage numbers. But if the topicstarter cares only about solo content, then yes - there are better classes comparing with sorcerers (better as heals and better as damage dealers, unfortunately it's always imperial agents).

Besides numbers, the story is good, pretty fun, lightnings are fun to use too. But if to choose between AC for inq, I'd prefer an assassin. When I got tired of lightnings I could switch to melee skill tree and back. And sintanks are great too.

I doubt about those particular numbers (especially about sleeping part in 5 min dummy parse), but surely snipers deal a lot of damage. However, Sorc with madness skill tree has much better mobility and great utility for the ops groups. For certain content when you have to move a lot sorcs could do really impressive damage numbers. But if the topicstarter cares only about solo content, then yes - there are better classes comparing with sorcerers (better as heals and better as damage dealers, unfortunately it's always imperial agents).

Besides numbers, the story is good, pretty fun, lightnings are fun to use too. But if to choose between AC for inq, I'd prefer an assassin. When I got tired of lightnings I could switch to melee skill tree and back. And sintanks are great too.

well sorcs still have pushback to contend with too, even with 2.6 changes sorcs will still lose a lot of damage from pushback which is something you can not see on a dummy parse. They also do not compare well with snipers from a raiding utility perspective despite what you said.

The sorc is on good enough raid healer, and a terrible pvp healer. It is an okay raid dps and in madness can be okay in arena. The fact is sorcs aren't really the best at anything, even there story is generally considered to be "okay". While I love the class, it has it's limitations. If you are into inflating warzone numbers to look important then you will probably love the class, sorcs are the best by far for inflating warzone chart numbers. However from a competitive aspect in pvp/pve it really is just pretty mediocre which I feel is fair to warn anyone about who is interested in playing the class.

well sorcs still have pushback to contend with too, even with 2.6 changes sorcs will still lose a lot of damage from pushback which is something you can not see on a dummy parse.

Sith Efficacy reduces certain pushbacks, and personally I don't feel any problems with pushbacks (I guess certain rotations could have come problems, but frankly there is only one rotation which should be used for fully specced Madness tree). But I could certainly feel pushbacks using Lighting tree despite of having Subversion.

They also do not compare well with snipers from a raiding utility perspective despite what you said.

Actually, I was referring to a bug :) Deathmark improves dots not only for oneself, but for other players too (they can consume those 15 points). I guess they'll fix it eventually, but for now it has the good utility in ops. And I'm not saying that sorc utility is better than sniper's, it's just not bad (considering that bug).

Nevertheless, I agree that sorc is mediocre class, but not all people are crazy about getting the highest dps/ehps. We're playing for fun, and sorc class is definitely fun class to play.

Nevertheless, I agree that sorc is mediocre class, but not all people are crazy about getting the highest dps/ehps. We're playing for fun, and sorc class is definitely fun class to play.

Sorcs "use" to be much more fun for me, back when Wrath proc'ed Chain Lightning. Back in the day we had it all. We had impressive single target damage, along with on demand aoe that could easily kill trash adds with little issues. They deemed that OP, and the chain of nerfs that came out made it much less "fun" to play. If I could keep up and not surpass, I'm fine with a nerf or two. But if you can't keep up with the pack, it might be time to reroll another class.

If you don't care, just play what you like. You could technically dps as an operative in healer spec, but some people put pride in their contribution to the raid. They want to not get carried by their other team members and actually contribute something useful. It's not a numbers game, but if you are last of the pack, I don't know about you but I start to feel embarrassed.