The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

AP or Pyro PT?

jigzawlol

Both are equally viable in PvP for regular WZs and ranked arenas. AP is aoe and anti aoe spec with very strong defensive cool downs (DCDs). Pyro is dot single target and anti dot spec, with decent DCDs. IMO AP is better for solo que in WZs and solo ranked, while both are equally viable for high end PvP. Pyro is better for leveling, as AP does not come into its own until around level 45. It comes down to personal preference.

For more detailed information regarding the specs I would refer to the guides from Koozie and Megapt:

Koozie's AP Guide, http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=679488.

Megapt's AP PvP Guide - Multiple Rotations, CD Management, different Gearing Setup, http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=695170.

Koozie's Powertech PvP Pyrotech Guide, http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=701510.

Edited by Ottoattack

Pyro is definitely easier to master. Line up your thermal detonator (if you're that high up the tree) and explosive dart to go off at the same time as a rail shot and you have some decent burst. It's also one of the most mobile specs in the game, which is nice.

But if you want to learn without training wheels, definitely do AP. I could never quite get past the "self root" on flamethrower, but you might not mind so much.

both are viable but depends on ur playstyle I played both and i can`t get out Pyro simply because of the being able to kite vs run in melee range to try to hit as many as possible with Flamethrower, AP is given the resilience to survive there no doubt but i don`t like it...if i wanted to play melee i`d have rolled a smashing mara

Also atm the AP hybrid is the most VIABLE it is ridiculosly OP and I hate seeing so many PT/VG`s around now because of it (flavor of the month rerollers).........you cannot imagine how rarely I was seeing any PT`s/VG`s during the 2.0-2.4 patches

Edited by iDraxter

I've posted it before. Pyro PVP is a chore because of the garbage mechanics in this game.

AP takes every idiocy and stupidity in this **** PVP design and smooths out the worst of the rough edges. It's to the point where I can't stand to play anything else.

- AP takes 30% less damage from smash, which means you rarely see more than 5-6K from the most complained-about OP attack in the game.

- AP gets longer hydraulic overrides, because the amount of slows and roots is just ridiculous and stupid.

- AP runs 20% faster in combat, mobility is always good when everyone runs away from you.

- AP takes 30% less damage while derp stunned, because the stuns in game are out of control. You get a free shield just because some idiot hit his CC button.

- AP uses combat tech set, which shaves off 15 seconds from your stun breaker, because the number of stuns people have available is just plain stupid.

- AP has energy rebounder - which makes shields available almost all the time, because the TTK is way to low.

- AP has kolto overload, which helps win duels even without the damage reduction.

- AP gets three extra shoulder cannon rockets, and five rockets load right away. This gives lots of extra burst, and prevent caps while stunned. Because everyone stuns you. Constantly.

- AP PFT damage is simply amazing even though it isn't easy to pull off, but if the other guy is stunned or grenade-knocked to the floor they can't exactly stop it. Smash doesn't stop it either.

- AP Can take down an OP healer with careful use of explosive fuel, shoulder cannon, stuns, and PFT. Pyro is a bit harder because they constantly cleanse the DOTs.

- AP damage is mostly elemental/fire, which can't be shielded, dodged, or defended against - and it goes right through all armor. AP with HEGC tears tanks to shreds. Pyro is almost all white damage (rail shot) and the reverse is often true.

When I run pyro, I tend to miss all of the above, and let's be honest. Pyro is a smasher/stunner punching bag.

No thanks, I just don't see how the rest of you cope with it. AP is practically Impossible to kill if you're good at it, it eats all of the cheap DOT, smash, and stun specs for lunch. You have to be focused down its so bad, and AP is murder in arenas.

I've posted it before. Pyro PVP is a chore because of the garbage mechanics in this game.

AP takes every idiocy and stupidity in this **** PVP design and smooths out the worst of the rough edges. It's to the point where I can't stand to play anything else.

- AP takes 30% less damage from smash, which means you rarely see more than 5-6K from the most complained-about OP attack in the game.

- AP gets longer hydraulic overrides, because the amount of slows and roots is just ridiculous and stupid.

- AP runs 20% faster in combat, mobility is always good when everyone runs away from you.

- AP takes 30% less damage while derp stunned, because the stuns in game are out of control. You get a free shield just because some idiot hit his CC button.

- AP uses combat tech set, which shaves off 15 seconds from your stun breaker, because the number of stuns people have available is just plain stupid.

- AP has energy rebounder - which makes shields available almost all the time, because the TTK is way to low.

- AP has kolto overload, which helps win duels even without the damage reduction.

- AP gets three extra shoulder cannon rockets, and five rockets load right away. This gives lots of extra burst, and prevent caps while stunned. Because everyone stuns you. Constantly.

- AP PFT damage is simply amazing even though it isn't easy to pull off, but if the other guy is stunned or grenade-knocked to the floor they can't exactly stop it. Smash doesn't stop it either.

- AP Can take down an OP healer with careful use of explosive fuel, shoulder cannon, stuns, and PFT. Pyro is a bit harder because they constantly cleanse the DOTs.

- AP damage is mostly elemental/fire, which can't be shielded, dodged, or defended against - and it goes right through all armor. AP with HEGC tears tanks to shreds. Pyro is almost all white damage (rail shot) and the reverse is often true.

When I run pyro, I tend to miss all of the above, and let's be honest. Pyro is a smasher/stunner punching bag.

No thanks, I just don't see how the rest of you cope with it. AP is practically Impossible to kill if you're good at it, it eats all of the cheap DOT, smash, and stun specs for lunch. You have to be focused down its so bad, and AP is murder in arenas.

Smasher<AP<Carnage mara, but ya 90% of the marauder population run smashers

Also atm the AP hybrid is the most VIABLE it is ridiculosly OP and I hate seeing so many PT/VG`s around now because of it (flavor of the month rerollers).........you cannot imagine how rarely I was seeing any PT`s/VG`s during the 2.0-2.4 patches

--Haha so true about the FOTM I rerolled because I realized that I like Tanking way more than Ranged DPS so decided to shelve my Merc DPS for now and Reroll a tank. I have never seen Hutta so full of little Bounty hunters.