Scouts are so much more fun than Strike Fighters

Kuratla

So, after playing GSF since early access, I got my Strike Fighter mastered and I suddenly got bored it GSF. I found that, even mastered, my ship was only effective against other strike fighters and gunships. The combination of evasion and turning on the scouts meant that I rarely got kills against scouts.

After mastering my starter strike fighter, I started on my Pike. But after playing several games with it, I was horrible with it. Could only get 1 or 2 medals per fight. So I stopped playing. Wasn't interested in continuing with a mastered ship and didn't like the Pike.

Then, after weekly reset, I wanted to do the weekly bonus so I took out the starter scout (NovaDive, iirc). It's upgraded a bit from the weekly and daily bonuses but nowhere close to mastered. First time I ever flew a scout. First match, I got 7 kills, 7 assists and around 25k damage dealt. I rarely do that well on my mastered strike fighter.

The speed and turning of the scout is so much better than the strike fighter. I can chase down fleeing ships and finish them off and I can dogfight against other scouts. Normally, when I get into a dogfight with a scout, it's a waste of time so I boost away and look for another target.

Now I know why you see so many scouts every match. They are really fun if you are interested in dogfighting and hunting people down. Sure the striker fighter and the gunship have their own important roles to play but I'm really liking the scout now and it's good that they have revitalized my interest in GSF.

"Scouts are so much more fun than Strike Fighters"

Correct word is not fun but overpowered, only thing Scouts might lack is shield power but that is irrelevant in the long run

Fun and overpowered, then? If/When they nerf the scout or buff the strike fighter, I may go back to my Star Guard. Till then I'll work on mastering my Nova Dive.

I was a scout apologist for a while, but I am now convinced that the scout is OP. If a mediocre pilot like me can hop into it and start pulling down kills per match in the high teens, something is amiss. Of course, racking up kills and thinking it is because I'm awesome is a lot more fun than getting my butt kicked in a strike and losing matches. :)

I'm very reluctant to call anyone who flies a scout a good pilot. The ship's capabilities make it so easy. The few strike aces out there though...those guys are good.

I was a scout apologist for a while, but I am now convinced that the scout is OP. If a mediocre pilot like me can hop into it and start pulling down kills per match in the high teens, something is amiss. Of course, racking up kills and thinking it is because I'm awesome is a lot more fun than getting my butt kicked in a strike and losing matches. :)

I'm very reluctant to call anyone who flies a scout a good pilot. The ship's capabilities make it so easy. The few strike aces out there though...those guys are good.

That seems fair enough. I didn't write that using a strike fighter, I would always get more medals and more requisition than I've been getting in my new scout. In the strike fighter, you'll get some capture, some defense, some kills, some assists, some turrets, 10k damage medal but rarely 20k. Overall, good medals and good requisition.

In the scout, it's pretty much kills, assists and damage. Overall, less medals and less requisition... BUT... it's fun killing people!

That seems fair enough. I didn't write that using a strike fighter, I would always get more medals and more requisition than I've been getting in my new scout. In the strike fighter, you'll get some capture, some defense, some kills, some assists, some turrets, 10k damage medal but rarely 20k. Overall, good medals and good requisition.

In the scout, it's pretty much kills, assists and damage. Overall, less medals and less requisition... BUT... it's fun killing people!

http://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/4081460/pics/original/2341059.jpg

In a Pike.

I think it depends highly on playstyle - different ships for different folks, dependant on how you dogfight. I'm more cautious, but also tend to try to lull enemies into thinking i'm an easy kill by letting them splash my shields then turn around and wreck their faces. For that, I prefer the longevity of my Pike - and its speed is faster than a base scout, so I'm not lacking there, either.

Scout may just fit you better than strike fighter, is all.

Some of us were born to be X-wing pilots, and some to be A-wing pilots, and never the twain shall meet. If you know Star Wars lore at all, you'd know why :p

Edited by silvershadows

The few strike aces out there though...those guys are good.

yeah, thanks

but I dont like playing Scout, and they arnt a danger for my strike.fighter

if you try to dogfight in a strike.fighter you will fail and suck

I one shoot them with torps, or see them poundering my armor till they blast

in my concentrated fire

In a Pike.

I think it depends highly on playstyle - different ships for different folks, dependant on how you dogfight. I'm more cautious, but also tend to try to lull enemies into thinking i'm an easy kill by letting them splash my shields then turn around and wreck their faces. For that, I prefer the longevity of my Pike - and its speed is faster than a base scout, so I'm not lacking there, either.

Some of us were born to be X-wing pilots, and some to be A-wing pilots, and never the twain shall meet. If you know Star Wars lore at all, you'd know why :p

The best I've done in my Star Guard (offensively) is 9 kills and 10 assists. Sometimes I get on a roll with that ship. Generally somewhere between 3 - 5 kills is more average for me and an equal or greater number of assists. The Pike just flew so differently for me. Guess I'd have to upgrade it more to fly it better... or just get more experience in it.

Pretty good survivability in the Star Guard as well. Most of my deaths come from barrel rolling into asteroids when I accidentally push the button or when I go hunting Gunships, kill them and then they target me specifically.

Still, I'll work on the scout for now. I've mastered a strike fighter and I'm not bad in it so time to change it up and try out something else. Still haven't bothered with the Gunship yet... not sure if I ever will.

Edited by Kuratla

yeah, thanks

but I dont like playing Scout, and they arnt a danger for my strike.fighter

if you try to dogfight in a strike.fighter you will fail and suck

I one shoot them with torps, or see them poundering my armor till they blast

in my concentrated fire

I do the same. I have no trouble popping scouts. But I don't put up the numbers that I do in a scout unless the other team isn't very good.

Edited by Svarthrafn

Most of my deaths come from barrel rolling into asteroids when I accidentally push the button or when I go hunting Gunships,

[/Quote]

its not a barrel.roll ^^

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/FenixAiur/Random/Barrelroll.jpg

Still, I'll work on the scout for now. I've mastered a strike fighter and I'm not bad in it so time to change it up and try out something else. Still haven't bothered with the Gunship yet... not sure if I ever will.

you have the right attitude ^^

Edited by Hitomo_x

I think playing other ships will help you be a better pilot, period. I decided to build up my flashfire so I've been playing that quite a bit. It really helps you learn to stay on target when you're in a flashfire with the short range.

I played on my Strike today after doing the Flash for a long time. Man, was it ever fun to blow people up in the Strike! Those missiles mean business, and swapping between the ion and quad lasers was great.

Basically, I learned how to fly and stay on target in the Flash, and it's so much easier to do that with the range the Strike gives you.

nice hit Ratio you have there

I am so used to just hold the blaster.trigger down while waiting for a lock.on ^^

I've had higher, I have the 75 percent hit ratio achievement but I accidentally deleted my screenshot of getting it I think, cause I can't find it :(

I'm one of those pilots who acts like laser bolts are rationed - because in a way they are. I try not to fire unless I think I'm going to hit, in order to not run out of weapon power. I could probably afford to be a bit more liberal but I try to never go into spray-and-pray mode. On my Flashfire, I have nowhere near that hit ratio, though.

In a Pike.

ok, I'm not trying to sound pretentious or anything.... but tbh, that number is really nothing to brag about... I get upwards to 84k damage on my flashfire...

ok, I'm not trying to sound pretentious or anything.... but tbh, that number is really nothing to brag about... I get upwards to 84k damage on my flashfire...

I'm not bragging about anything, I'm pointing out that it IS possible to do good damage, get decent kills and assists in a Strike Fighter as well as a scout.

Those numbers ARE particularly high, however, when you take into account that my Pike is built for survivability and speed over damage - a head to head with me is a war of attrition - you will only get me if you can get through my shield regen/can catch me before I catch you. I am a damage sponge, taking fire for my team while they kill the enemy and cap the satellites as bandits circle me trying their hardest to down me while I hug the sat like crazy. I am built for turret killing/gunship and satellite guarding, not offense.

Flashfires are purely offensive ships meant to do a lot of damage while being easier to kill - you are SUPPOSED to do more damage than I am, silly.

Edited by silvershadows

And at launch, everyone complained that the gunship was OP because you can just hang back and snipe other ships. Now it's the scout ship that's OP. Next month it's going to be the strike fighter that's OP. People will complain about just about anything if you give them an open forum to do so.

I find it rather easy taking out scouts with my cluster missiles on my strike fighter. The short lock on time prevents them from scooting away, and the upgraded damage, DOT and double salvo make easy work of a "hot shot scout".

Once more people start upgrading their strike fighters and start easily swatting scout ships, people will be back here complaining strike fighters are too OP...

Edited by TrooperRCH
typo

In a Pike.

I think it has everything to do with your 53% hit percentage. That's very good for a non-gunship...

Once more people start upgrading their strike fighters and start easily swatting scout ships, people will be back here complaining strike fighters are too OP...

On paper (and in my limited experience), missile upgrades don't scale as well as blasters/systems upgrades. You could be right if those T5 missile upgrades are really such a big deal, though.

I don't really dislike any of the four ships (haven't tried the gunship), but I get a little shot of adrenaline when I'm lining up a kill in a scout, especially a sting/flashfire with cluster missiles. I think strike fighters could use a little bit of a boost (possibly by improving missile scaling?), but I don't think the gap between strikes and scouts is nearly as big as some people are suggesting. I know I was doing a poor job of leveraging the advantages strikes have at first, so perhaps that's the issue for others as well.

Edited by Lymain

I think it has everything to do with your 53% hit percentage. That's very good for a non-gunship...

I dunno how I have such high accuracy, to be honest - I play a lot of FPS (mostly Team Fortress 2) and GTA games - my GTAIV overall accuracy is 57 percent, which my husband also says is insane considering my favorite weapon is the M4 carbine and/or the combat shotgun.

Then again he also said he was surprised I didn't go for gunships because in BF games I usually snipe - I find gunship to be a little boring though so prefer the strike.

Edited by silvershadows

I played 230 matches on my strike before switching to my scout and let me tell you, having to switch back for 20 matches to finish off the 250 strike match achievement was an utter annoyance. Once you switch from a strike fighter to a scout it's hard to go back. They just feel so sluggish and unresponsive. Once a good scout gets on your tail it's just "why am I playing this strike again?"

I played 230 matches on my strike before switching to my scout and let me tell you, having to switch back for 20 matches to finish off the 250 strike match achievement was an utter annoyance. Once you switch from a strike fighter to a scout it's hard to go back. They just feel so sluggish and unresponsive. Once a good scout gets on your tail it's just "why am I playing this strike again?"

I thought that might be true also, so I started playing a Flashfire on an alt, and with upgrades I can definitely see how it could do more damage than my strike, but I think I just enjoy the strike fighter better.

I feel more comfortable in it, that's for sure.

I'm just an X-wing pilot :p You A-wing jockeys can keep your speed.

No, it's not an amazing number he posted but it's solid. And most (not all!) good strike fighters tend to be lower in the damage than scouts but often have tons of objective points, defense time, etc. Plus, comparing your 84k to his damage is apples and oranges. Maybe your server is far, far more competitive than mine but I've flown a LOT of GSF matches (over 250 so far) and never seen anyone get 84k damage even ONCE. I'm not saying you're lying (I've seen lots of screenshots proving that those kind of numbers are certainly possible)--I'm saying that you are clearly far, far better than average. Seriously, that's not sarcasm--if you can regularly attain 80k plus in damage you clearly have really learned the ins and outs of this game and are quite good at it.

I do well in my strike also. Not amazing--I've certainly never come close to 80k damage, that's for sure! But I've had many matches over 30k, and can get 10+ kills pretty often. But where I really help my team is, as others have pointed out, a tank. If I stick to a satellite it is very tough to take me down. I've hugged satellites and been solo against 3 or 4 folks at once and held the point for ages. And while those multiple folks were on me, my teammates were free to take other satellites. In those encounters I'm just circling, moving, shaking missile locks, rarely getting a shot off. I put all power to shields and just defend. I find that incredibly fun, but in matches where I do that I will never be near the top of the scoreboard.

So no, I don't think strike fighters have the capability to top a well-played scout in the damage and kills category. But is a jedi guardian tank going to put up higher DPS numbers on a boss than a well-played gunslinger? Probably not, but we all know that the tank's contribution to the fight was just as important as the gunslinger's.

That's what I hate about the scoreboards at the end of the match. It's always damage and kills at the top. I see folks all the time at the top with tons of damage, tons of kills. Yet their team lost by 500+ points. And it's always the same folks: they're always at the top of the boards, and their team loses 3 out of 4 matches. They've got 40k+ damage, 15 kills, 12 assists, and 0 objective points. On my server, there are certain folks I see together all the time, so I know they're queuing together. And as a team, they get tons of kills. But they almost always lose the match, and often lose by BIG margins. So I hate the way the scoreboards currently work, I think its rubbish.

I have a Mastered Fighter (Quell) and am Currently half way done with my Scout (Sting):

The Quell was my first ship to play consistently.

You should be playing Scouts and Fighters differently (Hopefully). . . . And you should realize that each are better at different things.

You can dominate the match in any ship as long as you know your role.

Fighters: They can last a long time. Medium Range

Fighters are great dogfighters. They have a larger HP pool to take damage, they can boost and maneuver pretty well. (Turning Thrusters / Speed and Co-pilot engine abilities are really good for modifying the fighter to be this more). .

Quad Laser is awesome. It's range over burst is the advantage. Rockets are more then just damage tools, they are harassment tools. Proton + Concussion Missles (Longer range)

Scouts:

Satallite humpers - Great at Short range burst damage. (Burst Laster + Rockets ftw).

Summary:

If you are having trouble with one class. Or don't seem to do as well with one as the other, I'm 90% certain its because you are flying both the exact same way. Which you shouldn't be doing.

Fighters - HP Pool + Medium Range

Scouts - Low HP Pool + Short range

*Edit* Yes, I realize that fighters can be sat humpers too. But if I see two equally skilled pilots humping a sat (one scout flashfire/sting and the other a fighter). . .. I'll bank on the Scout winning.

Edited by Cashal