Pioliting sucks? or not for the casual player

Ouardajason

1) What are you flying?

2) What's your weapon setup?

3) What's your accuracy?

4) Are you able to even get an enemy into your sights in a dogfight?

5) Are you putting your target reticule in their leading reticule?

6) Are you trying to fire when the leading reticule is still grey?

7) Are you trying to shoot at extremely close range? (less than 100m)

8) Are you trying to shoot at the extreme edges of your firing arc?

9) Are you adjusting your fire slightly if you miss your first shot?

10) How's your latency?

Edited by RCSlyman

10) How's your latency?

This might be important as heck...are you GETTING hit a lot, but unable to hit anything, or are you not hitting and not GETTING hit? If it's the latter, then it might be your internet connection. If you see another player that seems to kind of almost "teleport" around, there and then not and then there again, that's internet lag. They are almost impossible to hit consistently, but they can't HIT much, either.

Otherwise, and I hate to say it, because EVERYBODY says it, but...practice. Practice makes all the difference. There is a steep learning curve on this particular part of the game.

This might be important as heck...are you GETTING hit a lot, but unable to hit anything, or are you not hitting and not GETTING hit? If it's the latter, then it might be your internet connection. If you see another player that seems to kind of almost "teleport" around, there and then not and then there again, that's internet lag. They are almost impossible to hit consistently, but they can't HIT much, either.

Otherwise, and I hate to say it, because EVERYBODY says it, but...practice. Practice makes all the difference. There is a steep learning curve on this particular part of the game.

Very much this OP. The piloting could indeed be better but once one gets used to it they can easily get in a few assists at least.

You're not supposed to aim at the ship itself unless it's moving directly at you or moving directly away in a straight line, but at the red leading reticule (in the Wing Commander games it was called an ITTS, don't remember what it's called here). It's like an estimate of the position your enemy will be in. It essentially is an indication where to lead your shots. If you have high latency, you will have to lead the lead indicator itself :p I believe railguns are instant though (but again latency may force you to lead even there, dunno though as I haven't unlocked my gunship yet)

Also: Try to unlock cluster missiles if you haven't already. They have a very short lock-on time (short range too though) and they aren't that powerful but they should net you a few assists. Note: Aim your crosshairs at the ship for missile lock-ons, not the lead indicator.

And above all, keep cool! Don't fire wildly and conserve blaster energy. Start with more forgiving blasters like rapid fire lasers before moving to quads, bursts and the like. Don't fire when you're out of range as you'll only waste energy. When under attack evade a lot, fly erratically, use the environment and LoS to break missile locks and avoid blasters as much as possible. and manage your cooldowns!

Hope I helped you a little bit. Good hunting - and merry christmas :D

To be fair to the OP the way evasion and accuracy mechanics work in this game can make it a bit frustrating when starting out (especially since there is no indication of whether you missed thanks to an RNG role or because you flat out missed).

Basically, OP the further away from the center of your firing arc the less accurate your blasters become (how much less accurate varies by weapon). Evasion tacks on it's own penalties to your accuracy further (how it does this is a matter of debate but it's agreed that it does impact accuracy). Generally speaking in a dogfight against a scout class craft (your targeting computer will ID class type for you) you'll want to be as close to dead center in your firing arc as possible because that class has the ability to have the highest passive evasion (although aiming close to center is just a good habit to get into even if your current target is a craft that likely has low evasion).

So if it isn't your internet connection as another person said just practice and you'll get the hang of it.