Guild names for cantina bands ruin roleplay immersion on roleplay servers

Arainwen

I'm not going to post the server or guild name but :mad:Tattoine's cantina has been ruined :mad: for roleplay on one of the roleplay servers because of a guild name not fitting roleplay being tacked onto the cantina band members. *takes a breath then continues* I don't know if this was because of the early guild creation or why the band has a guild name. I hope guild names will be removed and no longer be attached to any cantina bands. It is a poor decision to have guild names attached to anything besides the guild in world because names that are not fitting ruin the emersion factor for roleplayers.

Short version: Bioware, Please remove guild names from all in world NPCs

so...NPCs having the names of what they do next to them ruins RP?

I mean I guess I can kind of see that - but if *that* bugs you, than you should be RPing in something that isn't an MMO. There are a Lot of things to get through - from each class having the same quest line, to the worlds being pretty much static (Ord Mantell - a continuous war.) I like RP but I do know that some things in an MMO, regardless of which one you pick, just have to be worked around. Such is life.

I got a feeling this is a troll, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and simply ask: How exactly does it ruin your immersion?

I'm wondering this too, honestly. Do you mean the cantina band that are called <The Boppers> or what? How does it ruin it for you?

I got a feeling this is a troll, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and simply ask: How exactly does it ruin your immersion?

Being in the cantina talking with friends and having to see a band with a name that makes less sense than real world band names. Maybe just an option to turn off NPC names showing guild tags, then the people who don't want to see names they consider stupid can turn them off and the guild can get their jollies by having their name on unrelated NPCs

I'm not going to post the server or guild name but :mad:Tattoine's cantina has been ruined :mad: for roleplay on one of the roleplay servers because of a guild name not fitting roleplay being tacked onto the cantina band members. *takes a breath then continues* I don't know if this was because of the early guild creation or why the band has a guild name. I hope guild names will be removed and no longer be attached to any cantina bands. It is a poor decision to have guild names attached to anything besides the guild in world because names that are not fitting ruin the emersion factor for roleplayers.

Short version: Bioware, Please remove guild names from all in world NPCs

Isn't there an option to stop seeing npc names unless you mouse over them?

Problem solved!

Being in the cantina talking with friends and having to see a band with a name that makes less sense than real world band names.

You realise you're playing a game set in a universe that coined the phrase 'Hey, you wanna buy some Death Sticks?'

Are you saying you can put your guild name on band NPCs? I can see where a band named "Family Guy Rules" would be a bit distracting and dumb. But I also think it would be a cool idea for guilds to sponsor bands. Maybe the RP server should just enforce naming restrictions on guilds, then.

You realise you're playing a game set in a universe that coined the phrase 'Hey, you wanna buy some Death Sticks?'

Are you saying you can put your guild name on band NPCs? I can see where a band named "Family Guy Rules" would be a bit distracting and dumb. But I also think it would be a cool idea for guilds to sponsor bands. Maybe the RP server should just enforce naming restrictions on guilds, then.

yeah but that was in the Prequels so it doesn't count XD

Isn't there an option to stop seeing npc names unless you mouse over them?

Problem solved!

There is but then you don't see what vendors sell without mousing over them, or what craft they train. It makes it more difficult to have NPC names off than having the option of having NPC guild names able to be turned off.

List of other things that ruin my immersion.

Being able to tell if a MOB is hostile or not - In real life you can't TELL if the guy is going to kick your *** until he throws a punch!

Being able to see names over NPCs, and PCs - You don't know anyones name in real life unless they have a name tag, or someone tells you.

Surviving a blaster shot to the face - We don't even HAVE blasters in real life? why do you have them here!?

Lightsabers not dismembering people - Again, we don't even HAVE lightsabers in real life.

Seriously, broseph, its a game. Calm down. This is why people dont like RPers. "omg my immersion is RUINED FOREVER!"

There is but then you don't see what vendors sell without mousing over them, or what craft they train. It makes it more difficult to have NPC names off than having the option of having NPC guild names able to be turned off.

Whats so wrong with the bands name anyway?

It might be perfectly inline with their culture like someone named "Taking-a-breath-then-continues".

I understand your point, but you do realize an easy solution is to just turn off NPC tags. If you're going for true immersion, you shouldn't know who they are without talking to them ANYWAY.

This is true but the signs for shops are not in a readable language so I can only tell what sort of shop it is by the NPC names

I understand your point, but you do realize an easy solution is to just turn off NPC tags. If you're going for true immersion, you shouldn't know who they are without talking to them ANYWAY.

Yeah, she did overreact a bit but I can see what she's getting at, it would be nice if when you talked to NPCs it wasn't a weird thing where you somehow know who everyone is by just looking at them and you know who they are (without an actual meeting where someone introduces you to someone, or shows you what someone looks like to hunt them down), and they know who you are without you saying who you are - especially with Imperial Agent

I'd love to be able to turn name tags and most of the spammy ugly interface off really, but you can't really play without that stuff because the game cuts corners ingame by relying on arcadey boxes full of colours too much rather than actually showing how hurt a character is on their body by being blackened with fire etc :jawa_frown::jawa_angel::jawa_redface: it'd be nice to even have Mass Effect minimalistic levels of floating things, green'n'red bars and numbers, etc... rather than just the total spamfest it is at the moment where everyone just seems to zoom their camera (from watching other people on youtube and streaming sites) all the way out cos the fighting is just repeated stuff that don't connect (flailing a lightsaber in thin air in front of people) and also because of all the spam and lack of enemies actually looking hurt when they are (and the sheer overdone amount of powers that 1/4 of the screen seems to get covered by rainbow-coloured icons) you pretty much have to since that's the only way to see what's going on ;)

Edited by SelinaK

But naming them Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez, as counterparts of this real world naming scheme would make perfect sense, right?

[EDIT]Oh.. and btw.. there is NO immersion whatsoever with cartoon-ish graphics... ever. So, just as you compromise with the graphics... and the lack of day-night cycle... and the need to eat and sleep... so will you with an arbitrary band name ...

Edited by Styxx

Hello everyone! Several posts have been removed from this thread for straying off-topic. As you continue to participate in this thread, please remember to heed the Rules of Conduct.

As a general reminder:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

Thanks for your cooperation!

But naming them Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez, as counterparts of this real world naming scheme would make perfect sense, right?

[EDIT]Oh.. and btw.. there is NO immersion whatsoever with cartoon-ish graphics... ever. So, just as you compromise with the graphics... and the lack of day-night cycle... and the need to eat and sleep... so will you with an arbitrary band name ...

I'm unsure as to why you're saying that the graphics break immersion. It sounds like you have a problem with art; specifically, impressionism. If the game was photorealistic yet looked bad, that would be better?

Really, it sounds like you lack imagination.

Edited by Lu_Bei

I'm unsure as to why you're saying that the graphics break immersion. It sounds like you have a problem with art; specifically, impressionism. If the game was photorealistic yet looked bad, that would be better?

Really, it sounds like you lack imagination.

It was one of the reasons. It can be the same voice actor for 2 different NPC`s. It can be the lack of a daily cycle. It can be many things.

One clan tag is not as immersion breaking as it might sound, given other things are more pressing or missing altogether.

Again.. I am not saying it is not an issue. But it is an issue far down the list ... and I am talking miles off the top 50...

And it is not an issue of lacking imagination... it is more of making less of a mountain out of a molehill

Edited by Styxx

Please remove guild names from all in world NPCs

Guild names for NPCs actually play a good role in this game. For vendors they are descriptors of what they sell. Trainers are clearly labeled, and so on.

The "guild name" you point out regarding the cantina band is the band's name. I don't know about you, but when I go to a club, the band's name is advertised somewhere (everywhere), and once I know their name, I spot them on sight. The guild name for the cantina bands fulfill that purpose.

As for the band name not making sense, remember that in Star Wars, there's basic and a language specific to each species. For our convenience, it's been rendered into English. As such, the translation convention may render some names nonsensical. Using a semi-real-world example, a band may be called "El Gato". In English, it translates to "The Cat." In another language it might translate to "The Small Four-Legged Furry Animal", as the third language may not have a word for "cat".

Ergo, if a band name looks silly, remember the translation convention is at work.

Assuming it is in fact the band name, is there an English word for "takes a breath and continues"? If not, there very well might be a word for that in another (fictional) language and it might be awesome. Translation convention means that's it's just been translated twice.

Translate something twice on google, and you will find gibberish results.

Now, when I saw the cantina band names, I laughed because I thought it was an awesome touch.

-Kai-Lunn

Being in the cantina talking with friends and having to see a band with a name that makes less sense than real world band names. Maybe just an option to turn off NPC names showing guild tags, then the people who don't want to see names they consider stupid can turn them off and the guild can get their jollies by having their name on unrelated NPCs

there's plenty of real world bands that have their band names sprawled across their t-shirts... think of this as a digital similarity.

I love RP, and I think the OP is.....Well, I'll just say that this is the kind of pedantic BS that gives RPers a bad rep with the rest of the community. But it comes across as a troll to me, anyhow. No reasonable person could possibly care that much about something so trivial.

At any rate, those NPCs are in a band together. It's normal for bands to have stupid names. I just don't see what the problem is.

Edited by belialle