This game badly needs mods and macros.

Zingas

Thanks for the info I will post no mods in appriate place and recommend others do the same

Except you're wrong. They've already confirmed they're releasing addon support in the near future.

What's more, people don't want addons to be able to scream, "I do more damage/healing than you do!" unless they are inbred little 13 year olds. The vast majority of those who want addons want them to make the UI a bit less annoying. The vast majority of those who want combat meters want them to improve their own performance. They really couldn't care a whit about yours.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These type of people are excactly why mods should not be allowed , Just because this person thinks you are not doing your part and cant do it. Just use mods to say hey if you dont hit this amount you are a baddie and not allowed to play with me because I am better then you(here are my numbers) oh by the way damage/healing meters are easily manipulated forget cc because that doesn't add to the numbers. Time for These people to stay at wow and do what they do best. Egotist

Looks like somebody didn't get a raid spot...

These type of people are excactly why mods should not be allowed , Just because this person thinks you are not doing your part and cant do it. Just use mods to say hey if you dont hit this amount you are a baddie and not allowed to play with me because I am better then you(here are my numbers) oh by the way damage/healing meters are easily manipulated forget cc because that doesn't add to the numbers. Time for These people to stay at wow and do what they do best. Egotist

Really? lol.

It has nothing to do with "thinking" that someone isn't doing their part. There is a level of DPS/Healing/Tanking ability that comes strictly from gear. That is why some bosses are called "gear checks." No matter how good you are, no matter how fantastic you are at your role in the encounter, without sufficient gear you will not be able to put out the requisite numbers (USUALLY DPS numbers, but occasionally tanking or healing) to defeat the boss.

What kind of people do you raid with that looking at a combat meter immediately engenders the response, "You're bad, get out baddie!"? Or are you really that terrible at what you're doing?

When I look at a combat meter, I'm most often looking at healing numbers, as I'm a healer. I don't look at the healing numbers to tell people how terrible they are. That would be detrimental to my goal - which is a cohesive, functional healing core with high morale. I'm looking at the numbers to see if maybe people weren't assigned to the proper areas, maybe CDs aren't being used at the proper times, perhaps we've had some misunderstandings as to who is doing what. And yes, sometimes, I am evaluating a new trial to see if they have what it takes to join the core team.

I want every single trial to succeed. I generally like people, and if you talked to any one of my guildies, they would tell you that I'm probably one of the most forgiving people in our guild. But if someone is not performing to their expected output, we need to know why. If a tank is dying repeatedly, we need to know why. It isn't a question of rubbing someone's nose in their failure - that would be cruel and ultimately pointless. It's a question of figuring out where the problem is so we can fix it, as a raid team, and go on to beat the boss.

Edited by HeatherRae

Looks like somebody didn't get a raid spot...

Perfect people responding for the debate of mods vs no mods, I like this game,learning it like others are learning. Fanboi private message said he did his homework I laughed , the game is less then 1 month old and a big part of liking the game is not having to deal with damage meters and the elitist actually believing they are better then the rest of us. If that was even half true no mods would be the perfered way of playing. I really hope that mods do not make it into this game, Though it may be on list bio has labled it as extremly low priority --happy:)

Today , 01:30 AM

Edit/Delete Message Report Post

What I wouldnt give to be able to write an:

In combat force cloak

OOC stealth

macro just to free up some room to moniter other skills or even be able to put them on my bar.

Or maby

In combat = something dps

OOC = summon speeder

Then again the companys that sell mice with 12 thumb buttons are probably lobbying against this, or people that dont want macros are using them. Its natural for people who dont understand certain tech to be intimidated or threatened by it though so I understand.

Why do people think that if bioware let people make mods that ones like recount and boss mods will be made.

You do realise that parameters can be made on what information is passed to the mod developers.... So it would be up to bioware if dps was given to us...

I wouldn't want something like the boss mods that tell u wat to do..l or a dps meter .... However I really want a better ui... I cnt stand only having 2 hot bars .... Only having 2 menus open at once... That are not moveable (v annoying when I have eyefinity with one opening on the far left screen and the other on the far right)

The ui needs a massive overhaul and with the game full of bugs it wud be better for bioware to fix them while the community can make a better ui...I dnt mind the look of the current one but in functionality is boring unusable to be... Especially the GTM... It's no wonder no one sells stuff on there...

I'm all for addons and macros. Most addons are cosmetic or putting information in a place thats more accessible for the user.

As far as macros I don't see the big deal. If someone spam one button then so what? If thats what they enjoy then so be it.

I'm all for addons and macros. Most addons are cosmetic or putting information in a place thats more accessible for the user.

As far as macros I don't see the big deal. If someone spam one button then so what? If thats what they enjoy then so be it.

I do not see a problem for this either.

This game needs addons and macros, customizing the interface is a good way to get a new feeling to the game and it does make it more enjoyable. Addons like recount help players to better themselves because without it there is no way to know what DPS you are really doing, especially in comparison to the rest of the group. Macros allow players who like to use a wide range of abilities fit all their abilities on their action bar, and help roleplayers do common expressions easily. If you don't like them, don't use them, end of story. Edited by Bantic

I personally really hope they dont allow macro&mods to the game.

This way everyone have the same experience and we learn how to play instead of relying on several mods. Sure it helps to have them but the loss is far greater.

Also the game slowdown, updating of mods, all the requirement from different guild, teams etc etc is just to much.

I like the GUI to be honest the way it is. Maybe some customization could be allowed, like moving the chat window to bottom right/left and such but beside that i like things the way they are.

Honestly they have integrated some of the mods already into the game like questhelper :)

Well the game only need mods if the devs dont make it themself, if their dont make a UI that players can change to their liking, then we need mods to let us do that.

I rather like that BIOWARE made those changes insted of mods, so BIOWARE hade more control over it.

Same goes with dps meters or what ever you like.

Macros, I hear alot about them, some want the macros you can add wait timers in so you can have a fully automatic system, where you press 1 button and com back 5 mins later and you have kill half the map and gained a lvl.

Some wants the 1 buttton macro that hold all your abilitys and just fires them at the right time, when pressing that 1 button.

Well, none of those macros actual work like that. first is from games like SWG and WoW i think, and you cant make a fully automatick macro like that as things you did not forsee will happen, you still need to be at the keyboard to take hand over things like that.

second is probly made most famous from RIFT, where ppl say you can just put anything in 1 macro and just keep pressing that and then you win, well from a guy that have played rift, and done raiding, and played with some of the best dps ppl on that server, I can say it is not possible to put all in one macro and be the best, it may give you a fighting chance to use macros, but you have to use more then 1, you cant add some of the more special abilitys in those macros as you need to use them at the right time.

All this just shows that ppl dont know how does macro systems actual work, and have just wacht to many youtube vidoes about them, without actual knowing the ppl in that vidoes are not actual as good as thier look like, dps/hps meters can be padded with aoeing, and other tricks like that.

And by the way both macro systems are supported by the devices promote by BIOWARE, only diffrent by adding one or both system to the game is that everyone then gets acces to it, and we get a command/option to not display ton of red text in the midle of the screen.

I do like the rift kind of macro system most, why? well becouse the is often abilitys that do about the same, but has differnt reson to trigger or 1 is spam other is has a CD.

Take sith warrior, have 1 ability that builds range, then an other ability that also build range, but it has a 4,5s CD and gives a armor debuff to target, I like to use the last one as often as is ready, but I dont like to have my rage using attacks in that macro, why? well my spam attack uses 3 range, but my other attack that has a CD use 4 range, and want to use the last one as often as it is ready, but if I add all 4 to same macro, I end up using the 3 rage attack alot becouse I have 3 rage and not 4 often with pressing the rage builder 1 more time first.

Then I have 2 abilitys that only works on weak, standart and strong, making them wasting space on hotbar when figting elites or higher, and to make it worse, 1 works only on incap targets, other only on slow targets, why does that need to take 2 spaces, when putting them in 1 macro woud be easyer.

Mouseover is also a macro command I like as a healer, why? well it makes it easyer to remove effect from players without detarget the tank, or heal other players againg without detarget the tank. I can do without, but I can also live without a pc, but playing SWTOR whoud be easyer with a PC :)

Can you explain to me what your issue with "Healbot" and similar addons is?

Just curious.

And, before you do, I just want to clarify - you do realize that Healbot doesn't actually...well...do anything other than reskin your Raid Frames, right?

Healbot is creating macros so you can heal via clicking the frames, it also colours the frames in different colours for targets that are afflicted by debuffs and EVEN creates a fade activity for ppl that are too far away for healing. All this alltogether makes healing way too easy. As an example i managed to heal in wow half of a raid without any experience as a healer whatsoever. Do you think it is normal?

In other words, some addons makes the gaming experience way too easy and eventually not fun at all. I mean the next step from just clicking icons on your monitor is to let pc do your job.

ok, some may say: if you don't like it don't play with it, but that will mean falling behind in performance and therefore being kicked out of raid.

Again for ppl that haven't read my post: I'm against 3rd party addons, but i'm for bioware implementing a dps meter+threat meter and implementing some sort of basic macros in game.

Healbot is creating macros so you can heal via clicking the frames, it also colours the frames in different colours for targets that are afflicted by debuffs and EVEN creates a fade activity for ppl that are too far away for healing. All this alltogether makes healing way too easy. As an example i managed to heal in wow half of a raid without any experience as a healer whatsoever. Do you think it is normal?

You make me very, very sad. I sincerely hope that you don't heal on a regular basis, or you'll want to cut yourself.

I do find it awesome how you want my job to be harder, though. :)

For the record, the only thing Healbot does is take information that is already available in the UI and make it easier to notice. That's it. Yes, it has a mouseover macros component, but I really don't understand your aversion to click-to-cast anyway.

In other words, some addons makes the gaming experience way too easy and eventually not fun at all. I mean the next step from just clicking icons on your monitor is to let pc do your job.

ok, some may say: if you don't like it don't play with it, but that will mean falling behind in performance and therefore being kicked out of raid.

Nope. I know quite a few healers who don't use any addons at all who do just fine, even in heroic WoW guilds. They just prefer to heal without addons. See, it's not a, "Look at what a REAL HEALER I am" for them. It's not an epeen contest to show who hates themselves the most. It's about what they enjoy as healers.

But I guess that those of us for whom using the standard frames and having to target-click-cast is torture, well, we're just SOL because we're not he-man big healers like you.

Again for ppl that haven't read my post: I'm against 3rd party addons, but i'm for bioware implementing a dps meter+threat meter and implementing some sort of basic macros in game.

Sadly, Bioware has already confirmed that they're releasing an API to support 3rd party addons, so I guess your dreams are smashed to smithereens.

Edited by HeatherRae

You make me very, very sad. I sincerely hope that you don't heal on a regular basis, or you'll want to cut yourself.

I actually chose to be commando healer in game and is actually fun.

I do find it awesome how you want my job to be harder, though. :)

Good point: harder!

For the record, the only thing Healbot does is take information that is already available in the UI and make it easier to notice. That's it. Yes, it has a mouseover macros component, but I really don't understand your aversion to click-to-cast anyway.

I'm not totally against smart casting (click to cast). For example I am for smart casting cleanse like spells, but i'm against macroing all the healing spells to some mouse buttons or SHIFT or CTRL+ mouse buttons it just destroys some fun.

yea, healbot is gathering information from the UI i never said it's some kind of cheating program cause if it wasn't working this way it would be a cheating program. But to put all that information in a small box and even simplified so it will be in colours (not actually some words in it) like the frame will go purple if target is debuffed, THAT is too much. Healbot is something like that: green do nothing, red: cast big heal, yellow: cast heal, purple: cast cleanse. For me it is not ok this way.

Nope. I know quite a few healers who don't use any addons at all who do just fine, even in heroic WoW guilds. They just prefer to heal without addons. See, it's not a, "Look at what a REAL HEALER I am" for them. It's not an epeen contest to show who hates themselves the most. It's about what they enjoy as healers.

But I guess that those of us for whom using the standard frames and having to target-click-cast is torture, well, we're just SOL because we're not he-man big healers like you.

Guess it's up for the community, if the majority want's it they will get it and i will still be playing swtor. But hear me: some very bad healers who won't even know the difference of a debuff and someone staying on fire, or the difference between and emergency heal and a normal heal will get carryed by this.

Sadly, Bioware has already confirmed that they're releasing an API to support 3rd party addons, so I guess your dreams are smashed to smithereens.

It is not my dream, it is just my point of view. A word of advice: try to respect others point of views even if you don't agree with them (the bolted fragment from your last paragraph is a not needed irony).

EDIT: I forgot to mention some of Healbot minuses: did you know that when let's say a dps will get a minor debuff that will make him lose hp and also buff his dps by a lot (what i mean is a totally "worth it" debuff) in healbot it will appear as a debuff and a healer will always cleanse it?even if the dps really needs it to say make for a killed raid member (lots of dps at the cost of some hp). Healbot will not show what kind of debuffs players have will just colour it with appropiate colour.

Of course this things can be repaired (let's say paint it in different colour), but should they? I mean should healbot tell the healer that that debuff is potentially very good, healer won't even know about what the debuff does with healbot, he will have a strange colored fraim in his UI not knowing about what it does.

It is just a little example but the lsit can continue a lot more.

Edited by jukrie

many people use macros, to push one button and do 15 things, a real advantage over others who dont use them, and your argument, mainly the logic behind it, about you can use them too is fail, anyone can d/l hacks/cheats/bots/glider so why not use those too??

A macro or UI system is only as powerful as the developers allow the engine to become. For example take Rift and Aion as examples. In Rift the macro system has nearly no limits and you can chain several actions together and allow the game to determine which one to do. In Aion the macro system is very limited, there is no decision engine and yet it it still useful enough to give the user a bit of flexibility.

Just because some companies took these to an extreme doesn't mean that not having them at all isn't just equally extreme. There is a happy middle ground. I don't care to see 3rd party WoW mods. But not being able to customize my UI, have an effect chat filter (let alone an actually combat log) or even basic macro controls is unacceptable.

I don't personally feel we need mods or macros. Macros are lazy excuses for people not wanting to click skills etc. Mods just add another thing for bugs to appear. But I am not against addressing some of the shortcomings in the UI like adding more slots and being able to move and resize screen by screen.

It says a lot when the average whiner confuses mods & macros with cheats & hacks.

I'm thinking some people should have stayed in school past 5th grade

What does it say about you calling people grade schoolers?

Don't be an .......

I don't personally feel we need mods or macros. Macros are lazy excuses for people not wanting to click skills etc. Mods just add another thing for bugs to appear. But I am not against addressing some of the shortcomings in the UI like adding more slots and being able to move and resize screen by screen.

Macros aren't lazy excuses, they become necessary for the game to become more complex. Think about how many abilities you already use fairly regularly, now imagine BW adding an enchant sort of system on items, or items with procs themselves that are on cooldowns. How insane will it become to manage all that? Without a macro you'll miss uptime on those on demand enchants/item procs simply because there is so much other stuff going on. By adding macros BW can make boss fights that are more involved and demanding since you don't have to fight the boss plus fight a micromanaging battle with 20 cooldowns (which currently you can't even properly see since the UI is so poor)

I just dont get it, why does people allways want addons and macros? its like hearing some of my students want a calculator to get the answer faster and easy. learn the game, play it, and shut it. stop whining.:mad:

Number 1 - both of my kids (7th grade and 12th) are required to have calculators at school.

Number two I am glad you brought this analogy up. The teachers I have spoken to about this requirement have said that they want the students to learn how to do thier work long hand so they know what they are doing. After that - they allow calculators.

Much like Macros... once we have done it the manual way - there are faster, more efficient ways of getting from point A to B.

Do you think anyone in the math world sits and does longhand math anymore? Come on... for redundant equations and things they use all the time, I can assure you it is saved in a spreadsheet, or on a computer somewhere.

Edited by Knyghtprowler

I just dont get it, why does people allways want addons and macros? its like hearing some of my students want a calculator to get the answer faster and easy. learn the game, play it, and shut it. stop whining.:mad:

More like wanting certain options in a new car to make trips a more pleasant experience. Can I drive the no frills vehicle that comes without a/c, power locks, automatic transmission, mp3 player, Pandora, gps, etc? Sure. Would I like at least a few of those(especially a/c!) as an option? Of course!

The problem with wanting macros/addons is this: Current content was not built with them in use. The content we have at the moment was built around using the options currently available. If the content is completable with the current setup (which it is) then giving players options to make it easier would nullify difficulty levels of the content.

With macros/addons implemented, diffculty would need to get tuned up, and future content would be based on what a player can do with addons and macros, this would then alienate those who choose to use the current system from progressing through content.

Thus wiith these issues, addons/macros would become necessary to complete hard content, as it is in WoW. I have had NO issues with the current system, with the exception of raid frames. If you learn to use what you have, macros/addons become unnecessary.

Please don't force bioware to do what WoW did and kill all prior content with each new update/expansion.

Edited by Tygranir

The problem with wanting macros/addons is this: Current content was not built with them in use. The content we have at the moment was built around using the options currently available. If the content is completable with the current setup (which it is) then giving players options to make it easier would nullify difficulty levels of the content.

With macros/addons implemented, diffculty would need to get tuned up, and future content would be based on what a player can do with addons and macros, this would then alienate those who choose to use the current system from progressing through content.

Thus wiith these issues, addons/macros would become necessary to complete hard content, as it is in WoW. I have had NO issues with the current system, with the exception of raid frames. If you learn to use what you have, macros/addons become unnecessary.

Please don't force bioware to do what WoW did and kill all prior content with each new update/expansion.

Macros at least are already a part of the game through use of specialized keyboards and mice. There's already an Old Republic licensed Razer Mouse that allows macro use.

Also, prior content in WoW was killed due to item level inflation, it had nothing to with macros or addons and everything to do with the current end-game content having much superior gear to the previous tier.