How is leveling for a Sage?

Dasem

Got back into the game after taking a break. Buddy of mine pulled me back in.

I was thinking about a Sage, but I don't want to Heal. Anyone who heals in a MMO has my utmost respect, I simply don't have the patience for it. But Sage is really my only option for a long-range Jedi.

So how is their damage tree? What is it, Telekinetic or something? How does it fare for PvE leveling? I'm working on a Gunslinger right now. I don't expect the Sage to contend with it damage-wise, but should I have any trouble?

Also, I hear the Consular story is... Pretty boring. Is it tedious, or better than people think once it gets going, or what? The Smuggler story has been pretty lackluster for me so far, I'm not really feeling it.

In my honest opinion Consular and Trooper are the 2 worst storylines, and Smuggler is the only one that makes no sense after Coruscant. I mean seriously you get your ship back, why the heck would you . . . SERIOUSLY? DPS wise the Consular is actually pretty good, Bioware does a pretty decent job of balancing the classes so that for the most part they are even in most regards. As long as you spec right, and know your rotation it's pretty good. Most Sorc/Sage prefer the shared tree but Telekinetic/Lightning is actually pretty decent.

Thank you kindly for a quick response, it is very much appreciated.

I got a Trooper to 39 at launch, Vanguard. I didn't think the story was amazing, but the 'trooper comradery' was alright. I then switched to Imp and went Warrior and Agent, both of which were pretty good, but my buddies are Pub, so...

I also got a Sent to 25 and despised it. But it was my first character and I didn't really know what the hell I was doing, honestly. I used Kira and kept wondering why I was dying. Go figure.

So... Is the Consular story any better if you go Light or Dark? Voice acting any better if you go make or female? I'm not entirely opposed to going Shadow, but I really do not want to do Stealth, and being a Tank with Fess seems redundant.

If you do go Shadow, then your only real option is Tank or sub-par DPS. Personally I wouldn't wory too much about Qyzen, but that's more because I would be getting Treek as soon as I got level 10, but I could see why you might have a problem with that setup without access to Treek. I was similarly gimped when I was leveling my Sin, and to make matters worse, Inquisitors don't get a second companion until Tatooine, and I have wanted to through that pirate out the airlock since I first saw him. Our next one was at the end of Taris, and my plan to use Cybertech and gear up the Ship Droid for a healing companion lasted until the first time he ran up and tried to slap someone.

Leveling in the DPS tree is easy; if you look at the talent tree, a lot of the options make your main abilities hit again, so you go from a slow casting average class at level 10 to, like, a machine gun of critting force blobs and big rocks by level 20 or so.

Only thing is, Qyzen is your best companion, as you need a tank to keep everyone off you while you cast all the crap.

Also, you're wearing Light Armor, and almost all the greens / blues and about 80% of the orange or adaptive are SKIRTS, so you may want to play a female toon. Otherwise you'll have to buy yourself a set of Adaptive Armor pants; there are some outfits out there with pants rather than skirts, relatively cheap on the GTN.

Voice acting is about equal, IMO, you get Nolan North vs. Athena Karkanis; her voice sounded ok to me, and I imagine Nolan North is ok too as he is a popular actor. For the light side dialogue, at least, a lot of the lines are "calm and collected" as well as quite a few verbal sparring (for example, someone points out you're a Padawan (you're actually a full Jedi at that point) and you reply that actually, you've passed your trials, and also the Jedi Council probably knew what it was doing when it made the decision to send you to this meeting). Because of this, I found playing a female toon a bit more suited to the story and dialogue.

I think the story is ok, actually. If you look at other class stories, they're popular for one of these reasons:

- lots of one-liners and funny or kick-*** responses in the dialogue, like in the Sith Warrior story and interacting with Baras.

- an interesting and/or convoluted plot that gives you meaningful choices and draws you in (like the Imperial Agent story).

- you're made to look like a bad-*** by a story that pits you against impossible odds

The Consular story is about diplomacy and being patient and calm, but in the cut-scenes you get A LOT more powers that you otherwise don't have - the story shows you as a true master of the force, you easily lift impossibly big things, you AOE Jedi Mind Trick to convince crowds (pretty funny dialogue that one), you have a special Force ability that no one else has... you don't have these abilities in the toolbar when you regular-play, but the story sure makes you look good in the cut-scenes.

So if you enjoy that, you'll enjoy the class story. Otherwise if you're all about combat and skipping through the dialogue and cutscenes, it'll probably get boring.

EDIT: Dark Side, I don't know. You won't get truly evil choices, more like reluctantly having to sacrifice someone to save everyone else. Whereas for the Light Side there's a bit of "screw it I'm the hero I know it'll turn out ok in the end" thinking, where you take the time to save EVERYONE because there are no countdown timers on bombs and because you know the game will let you.

Edited by Merouk

I started a female Dark Consular last night.

I'm only level 8, but I'm really enjoying it. Enjoying it much more than I thought I would. The story is fairly interesting, and Dark makes me come across as arrogant instead of the usual "DERP stab everybody!" that I've seen in other classes.

Don't have Fess yet, but I should be getting him quickly.

I'd just finished Coruscant with a Smuggler and the story felt so.... Disconnected to me. And I found the cover mechanic annoying. Not that it's a bad class, just not for me. I'm enjoying the Consular much more.

I have loved levelling my sage, I switched from healing to dps because found it harder to level as heals. I am stacking power with a pure telekinesis tree (unashamed clicker too) and am murdering my way through mobs with disturbance/telekinetic wave with an occasional project and telekinetic throw. Admittedly I use all my legacy moves to kill story/quest bosses, but I just want to blast through.

Just got my rescue ability now, the one I desired most since the game came out. I have always been envious of that skill whilst datacron hunting and now its mine!

Got back into the game after taking a break. Buddy of mine pulled me back in.

I was thinking about a Sage, but I don't want to Heal. Anyone who heals in a MMO has my utmost respect, I simply don't have the patience for it. But Sage is really my only option for a long-range Jedi.

So how is their damage tree? What is it, Telekinetic or something? How does it fare for PvE leveling? I'm working on a Gunslinger right now. I don't expect the Sage to contend with it damage-wise, but should I have any trouble?

Also, I hear the Consular story is... Pretty boring. Is it tedious, or better than people think once it gets going, or what? The Smuggler story has been pretty lackluster for me so far, I'm not really feeling it.

Having recently run through the JC story, IMO it is not as bad as some claim. It is disconnected/incongruous: it feels like three separate stories rather than one. But the same can be said of the smuggler and trooper. And don't get me started about the BH. That being said, the different chapters were interesting enough to keep me playing; I never dreaded logging into my Sage or felt like, "OMG when is this going to be over?!?!" (unlike the BH and to a lesser extent the smuggler).

On the mechanical side. The Sage DPS is good. I leveled using the Telekinetics tree. The rotation revolves around disruption and procs to get instant/faster and/or free casts of other abilities. It is not very mobile; if you have to move DPS suffers a LOT. Balance is DoT heavy and only has one proc that can be consumed to make one of two abilities instant cast. It is very mobile; if you have to move the DPS loss is not bad. As the DPS sage does have some healing ability (bubble, small instant self-heal, and the standards: small but fast, and large and slow) you can use pretty much any companion you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Lv19 Jedi Sage, going Dark Side, climbing up the Balance tree.

I'm having an absolute blast with it since I started. Just landed on Taris.

I've a lv39 Trooper Vanguard, a lv30 Sith Juggernaut, LV24 Jedi Sentinel, and a lv20 Agent Sniper.

Out of all of them, this Sage seems the most complete. I'm really not having any issues at all, virtually no downtime in PvE, I'm solo-ing Heroic 2s with Fess no problem. Rotation is nice, and it seems like I never get down below 60% of my Force pool (Except during bosses and such).

And the story? Not bad at all. Although some jerk in Coruscant General Chat spammed the spoilers to all Republic Classes the other day... But the "How and why?" are still worth discovering, I think. Being Dark Side seems I come across much more as arrogant as opposed to bloodthirsty. Can't stand how the "dark" thing to do is always "Stab it a lot!" with most options, so I've been pleasantly surprised.

Although I'm eagerly awaiting my next companion. Fess.... He's great in combat. He's stellar. But... Call me a jerk, but I really want my Companion to speak Galactic Basic.

Very happy with my Consular.

The Consular story is good is you actually want a good consular story... it involves self sacrifice, diplomacy, helping others and showing off your power in a very jedi-like way(helping others).

If you just want to murder anyone looking at you then it will not fit...

Also remember what they say in the start: there is no emotion there is the force = this is why they don`t have the passion you find on the sith side...

EDIT: Also, to prevent spoilers just close the chat... reading all that crap they talk about most of the time will only kill your brain cells faster....

Edited by Alexhpy

Voice acting is about equal, IMO, you get Nolan North vs. Athena Karkanis; her voice sounded ok to me, and I imagine Nolan North is ok too as he is a popular actor. For the light side dialogue, at least, a lot of the lines are "calm and collected" as well as quite a few verbal sparring (for example, someone points out you're a Padawan (you're actually a full Jedi at that point) and you reply that actually, you've passed your trials, and also the Jedi Council probably knew what it was doing when it made the decision to send you to this meeting). Because of this, I found playing a female toon a bit more suited to the story and dialogue.

But we do get the legendary Steve Blum voicing one of our companions (Andronikos Revel) It's like having Mugen or Wolverine by your side killing baddies!

Edit: Dur Im thinking of Inquisitor. NVM, the voice acting is pretty bland. We have Theran instead who has serious emotional/romance issues - i,e Holliday

Edited by kimdante

Fot me it was dreadful until 34 Which is when you get forcequake but that is because i have mained a warrior for a long time and cannot stand playing single target classes anymore.

I absolutely love my sage now that is currently lvl 40 and regarding the story the sage is My favorite and have surpassed my old favorite the agents and the warriors however, the counselors story is fairly uninteresting before act 2 which is when it shoots off and becomes full of choices andstrays away from its beginning clichees.

From all the stories ive played the counselors is the most powerful and what i mean is that the character the counselor in difference from the inquisitor is prob the strongest most powerful character in the game. Without spoilinganything if you want to feel like a god wielding the power of the universe the counselor is your Guy or gal.

Even so the story gets very complex later when you have to juggle the responsibility as à diplomat and à represent for the order at the same time as you are trying to help the military, aid the army, protect the interest of the jedi and your Own ideas, be a Role model...

There is a LOT to the counselor story as you can imagine so dont be discouraged from what you read since the negatives Seem to be aimed at the first act but after the start the story gets amazing and adrenaline filled.

Edited by redsovereign

• 1 month later...
first of all the way i see it until about 20, everyone is DPS. You barely scratch the surface of your role until then. Honestly the counselor story is more or less cut and paste from KOTOR II for the most part... so if you didn't like the premise in that game the counselor here won't be much interesting either. Sage DPS is pwn but survivability is crap until later level and even then you ought to kite like hell. Be prepared for everyone to assume and expect you to heal. particularly in FP and most guilds. You should give it a shot though. Its not as fun and engaging as smuggler heals but in pve it's easily just as efficient (if not more so) and rewarding in small doses. I switch back and forth like every hr on my sage.

Also, I hear the Consular story is... Pretty boring. Is it tedious, or better than people think once it gets going, or what?

I can't really speak on the damage trees because I play the healing tree but even that tree has some solid DPS, so the damage trees must be awesomesauce. And I level pretty well as a healer so the DPS trees should do perfectly fine if not faster. With Qyzen tanking for you things are pretty smooth with killing and leveling, even doing Heroic 2+.

The Consular story is pretty awesome. You're depicted as this immensely talented, once-in-a-generation person who can save the galaxy from destruction while also keeping relations good between races and worlds. You kick *** but people also listen to what you say because you are important being a Consular and good as a Jedi. The story sort of is like that general MMO story where people start knowing your name before you show up and asking you for help and you're the only one with enough power to save them etc etc. and I like that lol

From all the stories ive played the counselors is the most powerful and what i mean is that the character the counselor in difference from the inquisitor is prob the strongest most powerful character in the game. Without spoilinganything if you want to feel like a god wielding the power of the universe the counselor is your Guy or gal.

There is a LOT to the counselor story as you can imagine so dont be discouraged from what you read since the negatives Seem to be aimed at the first act but after the start the story gets amazing and adrenaline filled.

Yeah, I agree with this. My Sage is only 25 but the story is really suspense building. I want to know what happens next, how the NPC is going to act and how things are going to turn out.

this is one of the few things i liked about the consular story. unlike the inquisitor, who has a hard time accomplishing anything, the consular definitely feels powerful. same with the sith warrior, just a complete powerhouse.

For the original poster:

The Sage DPS tree is pretty decent. I'm going full telekinetics and the rotation is pretty simple. Mind Crush and Weaken Mind to open. Then Disturbance until the procs of Telekinetic Wave and Telekinetic Throw light up. Hit Force Potency to optimize crits before you unload the procced abilities, and you're doing pretty well. Mental Alacrity when you want to spike the damage a bit. Use talented Project as a quick finish ability or when you have to move.

The downside to the telekinetic tree is that you are pretty immobile. This is problematic when you have boss fights that require movement as your DPS will suffer a pretty big hit.

But on the upside, you have some great group utility to bring to the table in a Flashpoint. Off heals, a little bit of stun, etc... it all helps. And if you can stay fixed, you can really kick out some damage.

Hope it helps,

Garik

Well all storylines do their job :) And all still give you chance to go in character. (well ofc agent is pretty boring, but it's playable...)

Edit: As for consular i got pretty much what i expected as a consulars story would be, albeit must say it felt more of story for Sage than Shadow (but both hade their moments ofc)

ppl ofc have their own opinnion so i suggest to try them all out and not to listen others :)

Edited by Fazaani

In a word, the leveling I found 'squishy' to be honest. Using the right companion always helps of course, which varies depending on whether or not you are going DPS or Healer.

I found it squishy until I got the rotations down which especially for the DPS role can be quite involved in my opinion, even then you have little longevity in some of the big battles apart from the help you get from a range of heals etc that come with the class that can be useful in the DPS role.

If you struggle you may want to consider respeccing for leveling, so drop the DPS and go healer and use a tanking companion, or vice versa with Tharan or Treek for the heals (and you have a few heals that are useful in an off-healer role to help as well).

That is only my experience anyway and not intended to be some biblical guide to Sage leveling, just what I found during my time leveling my Sage.