So is the Sting worth it?

willfarlow

I've been playing primarily my Blackbolt and enjoying the bejeezus out of it, but I tend toward longer-range shooting, tap 'em and then run. I know the Sting has the burst lasers, which I hear are really good at close range, but as kind of a max-range shooter, is it worth it? Just wondering...

I fly blackbolt on imp side and flashfire on the pub. The differences are actually rather noticeable.

The flashfire has:

-Far better armament

-Stronger shields

-Stronger hull

-Strong lock on missles

-Better range, rate of fire, and overall offensive ability

The blackbolt has:

-Damping

-Better sensors

-Bigger engine pool

-Faster engines

-Better turn radius

-Significantly weaker armaments

-Significantly weaker shields

-Nonexistent armor

-Crap missles

Basically the flashfire sacrifices most of the utility of the blackbolt and gains the offensive capabilities of a strike fighter. If you want to play a knife fight range snub fighter you want the flash fire, if you want to play the utility/agility based recon scout then you want the blackbolt.

I fly blackbolt on imp side and flashfire on the pub. The differences are actually rather noticeable.

The flashfire has:

-Far better armament

-Stronger shields

-Stronger hull

-Strong lock on missles

-Better range, rate of fire, and overall offensive ability

The blackbolt has:

-Damping

-Better sensors

-Bigger engine pool

-Faster engines

-Better turn radius

-Significantly weaker armaments

-Significantly weaker shields

-Nonexistent armor

-Crap missles

Basically the flashfire sacrifices most of the utility of the blackbolt and gains the offensive capabilities of a strike fighter. If you want to play a knife fight range snub fighter you want the flash fire, if you want to play the utility/agility based recon scout then you want the blackbolt.

You're being confused by the base loadouts of the two ships. The Sting and Blackbolt have identical turn radius, armor, engines, engine pool, and hull. The difference is the Sting has options to use different blasters, missiles, shield reactor, and Blaster Overcharge. The Blackbolt's advantage is its sensor array package.

The Sting is an awesome ship, I love it! It packs a good punch with its weapon choices + cluster missiles and is pretty nimble to boot. You can still capture objectives pretty quickly with it and pull your weight in a firefight. I think it fits my playstyle better as I've had my best games with it.

The speed of a scout and the firepower of a strike.

Basically with blaster overcharge and burst cannons you can decimate anything in just a few seconds fire.

being nearly unshakable in dogfights and having the fastest lock on missles doesnt hurt either.

But yeah. Worth it if you like dogfighting and being the hunter rather than the hunted.

UPDATE-

Started playing the Sting and I love it. Since I consider it part of a Scout's job to disrupt Gunships, I love the cluster missiles...I don't get that many kills right now, I'm not upgraded, but the "lock tone" tends to make 'em scoot...and when they're scooting, they aren't sniping. So even if I don't HIT them, I'm doing good work.