Community Galactic Starfighter Thread

Hellinchaos

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
To anyone on the pub side involved in this, especially the bombers: you are annoying, and I will find and kill every one of you :) - Xi'ao.

That was a fun match. On a side note, this is the first time I have seen this thread.

Do I get a reprieve for lending my bomber skills to the dark side. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If pub side is only interested in farming imperial F2Ps with gunship and bomber balls during the day, then you're going to kill the queues for everyone. Play imp sometime during the day, then swap to pub at night when the teams get balanced. Or are you guys too afraid to log on anymore? :)

You know who you are.

*coughs*

I hope this was just some good-natured ribbing to get some more people to queue up, because... yeah. I see plenty of gunship and bomber balls coming from the imps, too. One of your records in the starfighter forums is from one of those matches, too.

It also doesn't help to go to town on the noobs, either, like during 2xp when you and a group of maxxed out types were slaughter a bunch of 1-3 ship pilots (lucky me, I got to be the only experienced person queueing with them for 3-4 matches in a row!).

Now, if you're just ribbing and want more queuing, I'm all for it. I hate waiting for the next match to start up, even if I'm grouped up with a bunch of newbies versus a bunch of Imp aces.

Speaking of inexperienced pilots, I'd like to remind people that there are channels you can join to ask questions and find a GSF group.

For pubs, use /cjoin space. Its a ghost town much of the time, but I'd like to see people start using it.

For imps use /cjoin gsf. This channel usually has a few people in it.

Every time I go against F2P + Pref people on the enemy team I go with ships that are not mastered or rarely use. Now a lot of people dont do that... and I cant control it.

It's hard to do that, though, unless the devs just added a ship. I've welcomed the times where I felt like I could break out my Clarion or Spearpoint when the other team seems to have less experienced people, but eventually that's not going to help because they'll have enough components to be not that far off a ship that's mastered. :sul_frown: And really... I can do pretty decently in a ship without a lot of components, unless the other team has a lot of aces.

And you can't always go off of if people have 2-3 ships, either, as those people can be playing alts, not buying more ships, etc. I know I have faced some great pilots without a lot of ships unlocked, and I play GSF with a few random alts that hardly have anything unlocked, and I do well enough that you wouldn't want me to treat me like a noob.

I mostly responded (mostly jokingly) to Xi'ao/Fractal because he was calling people out for doing something you often can't avoid. For the above reasons, because you might be only able to queue at certain times, because maybe you feel like flying your mastered Starguard, etc. He and a solid group of Imps were certainly making things miserable on Saturday night, but they were playing because they want to play. We all are. I can't really fault them for being on and playing well.

That said, I do try to take it a little easier on newbies... I managed to convince most of my pub team not to use missiles in a blowout match. Didn't help them much, but they did last a little longer. Of course, it's not always possible to do that. And I can't summon up the better Republic pilots on some evenings because a bunch of good Imp pilots are on, so I just have to take my lumps when I get the short end of the teammate straw, like we all do.

Annoyed that someone went and locked the gsf channel on the pub side, even if it was hardly used.

I was able to join it today, although it did take a few tries.

EDIT: I just now left and re-entered the channel with no problems

Edited by Bereduss

*coughs*

I hope this was just some good-natured ribbing to get some more people to queue up, because... yeah. I see plenty of gunship and bomber balls coming from the imps, too. One of your records in the starfighter forums is from one of those matches, too.

It also doesn't help to go to town on the noobs, either, like during 2xp when you and a group of maxxed out types were slaughter a bunch of 1-3 ship pilots (lucky me, I got to be the only experienced person queueing with them for 3-4 matches in a row!).

Now, if you're just ribbing and want more queuing, I'm all for it. I hate waiting for the next match to start up, even if I'm grouped up with a bunch of newbies versus a bunch of Imp aces.

Partially in jest. I do miss some of the premade pub groups that would show up at night, but they've become sparse lately. I know they're still on, because the times I do get to play in the day I see them, and I see their alts on at night.

Specifically I'm griping about a few uses of masses of bombers in TDM. Bombers en masse in domination may be annoying, but it's clearly the most effective thing to do. I'm fine with that. The only thing to do about it until BW fixes some of the builds/bomber stacking at node issues is to be better at it than the other side. But in TDM, you'll see some of these pilots roll 5-6 bombers and move in a giant pack across the screen. I am fairly sure I've seen 6-7 bombers out of 8.

Now, at this point, I should say that I have 1400 matches now. Nothing surprises me. I am ok with almost everything - double premade, gunship swarm, flashfire swarm, having to carry 6-7 2-shippers. Whatever. I might get frustrated on the losing end of things, but it's the game. In general, fly what you want against whoever you want - it's a game and you should play what's fun for you.

That said, if the pub side pilots think that that combination of 5+ bombers makes them particularly leet, they need to get their heads checked. Same goes for any imperials that do it in TDM. I don't even know how it can possibly be satisfying, since it's the cheesiest possible way to win gsf, and requires no skill whatsoever. Filling all of the available space with mines and waiting for NPCs to do the job for them in TDM is lame. There, I said it :) Every other ship type has to go out there and physically make kills themselves. I dare them to try it when the imp aces are on in numbers. This bit is me kicking the anthill and trying to get some solid matches :).

Oh, and if you were referring to the 26 kill match - that wasn't a bomber ball - there were only 2 bombers there (I think), not 5+, and there was definitely no coordination. Still, lots of respect for you for sticking with it that match. If you want, next time you can run gunship and I'll hunt you with one of my strikes :).

Got my sub back and I can finally respond again. :D

I hate big bomber groups, too. I like the dynamic that they add to the game, but mines and drones are still a bit overpowered when combined with the other pluses bombers have. You can counter them and I know the strategies to do so, but trying to crack a satellite with 3-4 bombers on it is just... blech.

And I've seen Imp groups with lots of bombers, so I just can't see anyone calling out one side over the other on this one (hence my response on that score). Not like you can blame people for going for what the game's current meta encourages. It's not unlike the swarms of gunships you'd see all the time before 2.7 (though I think gunships are still quite good, people seem to have gone off of them because of 2.7's changes). Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

For that record match of yours, I only recall having to dodge mines and drones to get a shot at where you were sniping, and then you had enough cover from teammates that I could only pursue you for a bit (and it's always dodgy getting too far beyond your teammates in GSF, particularly if you're not in a scout with plenty of engine power). Just flying to get you is enough to worry about without mines and drones floating around, too. So it was bomber ball enough for me. :sul_wink:

And you pretty much always do well. I think there was one round a couple months ago where we won by keeping you moving and not harrassing satellites in your gunship, but you still had one of the higher tiers for damage and kills, despite not having a lot of open shots.

Nice teaming up with you the other day with my Imperial alt. Nice to have solid teammates, especially when your ships have very few components leveled in it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm definitely hoping that the removal of Interdiction mine's shield piercing in 2.8 will cut down on how many bomber balls I see from both sides. Really lame, derp matches with hordes of bombers tossing out random junk on satellites or in enclosed areas are just... blech. Not dogfighting, and not fun.

Personal favorite as of late was a certain pilot from a well-known Pub group that was just hugging the underside of a node and letting the turrets and his mines do all the work. Good piloting, buddy.

I'm definitely hoping that the removal of Interdiction mine's shield piercing in 2.8 will cut down on how many bomber balls I see from both sides. Really lame, derp matches with hordes of bombers tossing out random junk on satellites or in enclosed areas are just... blech. Not dogfighting, and not fun.

Personal favorite as of late was a certain pilot from a well-known Pub group that was just hugging the underside of a node and letting the turrets and his mines do all the work. Good piloting, buddy.

Yes I am also hoping the interdiction change will reduce the amount of bombers on the server. I find that the matches that only have 1-2 bombers have a faster pace and are much more enjoyable.