GSF is not fun at all

vilsevalle

I'm newer than the people who got it on dec 3rd, but I'm so far behind I can't do anything to anyone. I do 0 damage, and get one shotted out of nowehere. Really bad expansion especially for people who will get it in January and February they will be so far behind and won't enjoy anything out of this sorry excuse of an expansion. Sad I wasted a sub to try this garbage out.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 of the things is tht its very clunky. Alot of pvp'ers are disappointed with it so u are not alone. GL in ur future gaming endeavors.

This is because a lot of the PvPers aren't good at twitch gameplay and throw a tantrum worse than an 8 year old when they get ripped apart. Most of the MMO PvP crowd is horrible if you erase gear advantage.

The perks from upgrading your ship are minor tweaks. I have been playing since dec3rd...haven't upgraded my strike fighter once. I destroy people in it as a stock ship. regularly blowing people out of the sky who have fully upgraded ships. Skill far out does upgrades here.

My problem with this new type of gameplay is, i've never played anything similar before, so this

I do 0 damage, and get one shotted out of nowehere.

was happening to me all the time in the few matches i played.

The fact that tutorial doesn't teach you how to fight against moving targets that fight back doesn't help either.

Maybe i'll give this space battles a try once again sometime later, but right now i don't feel the desire to play them at all.

This is because a lot of the PvPers aren't good at twitch gameplay and throw a tantrum worse than an 8 year old when they get ripped apart. Most of the MMO PvP crowd is horrible if you erase gear advantage.

The perks from upgrading your ship are minor tweaks. I have been playing since dec3rd...haven't upgraded my strike fighter once. I destroy people in it as a stock ship. regularly blowing people out of the sky who have fully upgraded ships. Skill far out does upgrades here.

lol I cannot take you srsly how anecdotal

I enjoy it a great deal.

Yes, it has a steep learning curve, but that's going to happen whenever you enter a competitive, skill based environment. I've played every day since December 3rd and gotten a bit better every day. If you keep on putting time and effort into it, you will get better.

My suggestion is to keep playing and start going over the basics for whatever ship you put as your default. Don't engage fights alone and stay near your satellite at first.

Learn to hit tab to cycle through the nearest targets. Learn how f1, f2, f3 bolsters your weapon, shield, and engine but takes away from your other banks.

Read up on basic piloting maneuvers and attempt to put them into play.

Remember to do your dailies and weeklies. If you have any questions, go to the forum and ask.

Edited by MCaliban

Its funny that you should say that, because no one takes you seriously either.

OP: Fortunately, fun is subjective. And my opinion is that GSF is one of the most fun things they have ever added to the game.

Amusing, as no one takes you seriously due to how you type.

Try actually typing out your words and thoughts more properly. Text-speak has no place in a forum or, quite frankly, when you are at a keyboard.

I'll back him up, most of the PVPers who dislike GSF are just butt hurt that they can't pwn face as easily as they can on ground. it's a whole differnt game, and differnt people are better at it.

Ground PVP basicly consists of knowing how to use your CCs and other class skills, how to work with your group (and know the maps) having that gear. etc.

Space PVP requires slightly differnt skill sets. including a 3D situational awareness, knowing your craft, and the enemy crafts (as well as being able to adapt if you realize that strike fighters been modded to the point it can out turn your flashfire) knowing the maps (that's pretty much required for Player verses ANYTHING)

upgrades are useful, but if you're GOOD, you'll be able to work past them

You'd have thought they'd have learned from ground PvP that gearing advantages should be kept as low as humanly possible to keep active players interested while not alienating new players.

You'd have thought people would have learned from ground PvP that BW can't be trusted to create an effective matchmaking system.

This is not the last complaint that will be posted on this topic as a head start was the worst sub perk possible for the longer term success of an expansion that can be completely ignored if players choose to.

Well OP, for me it has been a blast as in great fun.

Now, starting out is going to be just like you describe. It has nothing to do with ship upgrades or skilled opponents. It has everything to do with getting used to the mechanics and 3d space. But, after a few matches it all falls into place. And with the ship reqs and the fleet reqs you are earning especially with the daily and the weekly, your ship will soon be competitive at the very least.

So, to each his own, you didn't like it fine. But... what you describe is a simple matter of become more familiar with it.

I'm newer than the people who got it on dec 3rd, but I'm so far behind I can't do anything to anyone. I do 0 damage, and get one shotted out of nowehere. Really bad expansion especially for people who will get it in January and February they will be so far behind and won't enjoy anything out of this sorry excuse of an expansion. Sad I wasted a sub to try this garbage out.

Not sure how the matchmaking system works exactly.

My scout is close to being fully upgraded and yet I haven't upgraded any single part of my other ships. However, yesterday I finished in the top 3 for dmg in all 5 matches I played as a Striker (despite being pitted with upgraded opponents). The upgrades obviously help but it's possible to compete even without them imo. Besides the fact that the first upgrades only cost 1k each.

I personally love the GS addition. Heck, even some guildies who abhor ground PvP are playing GS every chance they get. It's not for everyone but it seems to be a success overall.

My 2 cents.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

It's surprising you weren't dominating on your first go OP, I agree, that has to be down to the expansion sucking.

I mean I know for a fact that the first time your mommy and daddy planted your toosh on a tricycle, you put professional BMX freestylers to shame.

I'm newer than the people who got it on dec 3rd, but I'm so far behind I can't do anything to anyone. I do 0 damage, and get one shotted out of nowehere.

So, basically, you just dove right in with no idea what you're doing and because you're not instantly competitive against people who have been playing it, have a clue what they are doing and have some upgrades to their ships, you're quitting right away? Sure, makes sense.

Really bad expansion especially for people who will get it in January and February they will be so far behind and won't enjoy anything out of this sorry excuse of an expansion.

By then, there will be enough people playing GSF that the matchmaking system should take care of that and new people with ships that don't have upgrades will be playing against each other.

Sad I wasted a sub to try this garbage out.

No, what's sad is that you could have tried it out for free on the PTS. Next time, spend a couple of minutes doing some research on something before you buy it.

Sad I wasted a sub to try this garbage out.

Is that the new way for the cool kids to call anything "garbage", just cause they personally do not like it or are not able to compete well in it?

You may not like it... you might not having fun playing it... that doesn't make it garbage however. There obviously are lots of players, who do enjoy GSF.

For OP, I personally use my alts to play GSF to exclusively get them through early-levels.

I think that the stock loadouts for each ship are actually quite competitive. I get around top 3 in the leaderboards per match using either the scout or my gunship. Both do fine.

My recommendation is to do three or so GSF battles and upgrading your main weapon to version that suits your playstyle more. I think it's balanced pretty well, and even if all the other players have mastered ships, you should still be able to have a competitive chance against them.

For upclose dogfights in scouts, try pressing X to lower your speed below the S buttons slow-speed cap. You'll get a lot stronger maneuverability to out-turn most other ships and fire at them as they attempt to circle around you and lock in.

So, basically, you just dove right in with no idea what you're doing and because you're not instantly competitive against people who have been playing it, have a clue what they are doing and have some upgrades to their ships, you're quitting right away? Sure, makes sense.

While I generally disagree with the OP, I must admit it actually makes sense. People do what people like and enjoy. If the OP spends most of his matches travelling from respawn point only to be immediately killed again upon arriving to one of the satellites, I don't wonder he is disappointed.

I played (and enjoyed) GSF very heavily right after the live release, but in the last days I only do 1-2 matches as required for the daily. The reason is that 80% of the time I end up against the same people playing the same ships. Yes, I'm average at best at the GSF and they all most likely outskill me as individuals, not to mention there is probably some sort of cooperation between them. But that doesn't change things at all. If I know I'll end up against people (high) above my level where I not only have minimal chance to win, but also a minimal chance to even do something, why should I bother?

It was mentioned frequently that the matchmaking can't really hit until preferred and F2P players enter the mix, and I completely agree with that. That's also when I intend to return to GSF with more intensity. But until then, I simply refuse to be a kill pinata.

Yeah as stated before this is total bs. If you think the disadvantage in space is bad you must have never done some regular PvPing because thats a hundred times worse in terms of gear advantage. One of the reasons I like GSF is BECAUSE even people who are maxed can still be killed by a beginner with better skills.

I agree with the others that you must simply not be very good at it, and you never will be with that attitude.

Only thing I can agree with is that you should not be able to get 1-hitted...that's just silly. There is literally nothing you can do to prevent it....luckily it doesn't happen much.

Edited by Gokkus

GSF has a learning curve, and it is a fair criticism to say that the tutorial isn't very helpful. It's not totally worthless, but it isn't very good at all. A better guide is the Dulfy new player guide: http://dulfy.net/2013/11/15/swtor-galactic-starfighter-new-player-guide/.

That being said, GSF does have a bit of a learning curve. It simply isn't something you'll be great at in one match, or even 5. And even when you get good, you have good matches and bad. Some matches I do really well, 25k+ damage, 5+ kills, 8+ assists, several captures, lots of medals, etc. Then the next match--sometimes with very many of the same players--I get 5k damage, 1 kill, 2 assists, 5 deaths. I definitely do a LOT better than I did when I started--and with more regularity--but I still have bad matches.

I thought I was bad, but the idea of doing 0 damage to me is just baffling. I think when I started out 3-4K damage was where I was at. Now I feel bad if I don't get the 10K damage medal even when I play on a new character. No amount of upgrades on your ship will matter if you are doing 0 damage because that's a sign that you have no idea how to actually hit the enemy.

Biggest tip? Don't aim for the ship, target them and aim for the little circle that normally is ahead of them.

I suggest reading the new player guide on Dulfy. It really helps. And, it doesn't take long to earn points to upgrade your ship. Just be patient and practice and it will get better. It actually is fun once you get used to it, IMO.

GSF is a genre that caters to a different group of players traditionally not engaged in wow-type of mmo, like swtor. GSF is a typical first-person-shooter (fps) type of game and if implemented in a mmo setting, the closest example I can give is Sony Entertainment's Planetside 2. It captivates different interest.

So you disappointment in GSF is not surprising. It may not be that the implementation is not good, its just a different type of game. I don't like it too by the way. I still prefer WZ pvp anytime.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.