This Stuff Is Nauseating.. How The Actual Hell Do You Do It?

Berronaxftw

Like seriously.. Someone comes into range (3500 meters or feet miles idk what measurement it is..) You scroll over to take a shot, BOOM they're 3000 meters behind you now shooting you up the butt.

Soon as someone gets behind me it's pretty much GG, i'll run all over the place, try to circle round and i'll never get him in my sights..

Seriously all this spinning around all-over the place has given me a headache, nausea and made me throw up irl, (no I'm not joking, I literally just threw up cus of all the spinning). Obviously I immediately stopped playing at that point.

But seriously, how the hell do you do this stuff without spinning around like an empty bottle at a frat party? Surely theres something im doing wrong, but the tutorial was kinda terrible..

Don't wanna completely give up on this, I loved space combat missions, so I thought id love this.. so far though, it's been absolutely god awful.

Ugh.. I need to go lie down, still feeling dizzy.

Use a gunship?

Yeah it's awesome to shoot turrets from rly far away, then get shot in the arse again and find myself spinning around like a dog chasing its tail trying to see who just shot me and from where.

How the hell do you even hit a player with uh.. idk what its called, snipe or something.

Something that helped me was when I just said to myself: "This is space. There IS no up." For some reason, that helped getting my mind oriented around flying without worrying about whether I'm upside down or not. If there's no ground (and there isn't), you've got a lot more leeway to relax. It's not like you can hit the ground, right? So just react to what's in front of you.

You can see my thread about dogfighting http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=704948 for a few tips. Someone linked a wiki article and a separate dogfighting website that I found really helpful. Basically, DON'T play the spinning game. SWTOR artificially drastically reduces your chance to hit at both range and glancing shots off the side of your targeting reticule.

So I really try to avoid that scenario if at all possible. What I ACTIVELY try to do is A) Help anyone else in a dogfight and B) ALWAYS try to get directly behind my targets. Now, I'm not great at GSF. I pretty much just started. But just keeping A & B in mind I went from 2 or 3 kills a game to around 8 with some solid objective points (150-240ish, depending).

So, for some direct advice- If someone is playing the rolling game to you and your panning around trying to get them in your sights, here's what's really happening. A) Neither of you are going to score hits because you're too close. Blasters will miss and missiles won't have time to lock. B) You will be practically standing still for anyone that wants to come along and kill you.

So don't be that guy. Be the guy that comes along and kills the guy standing still panning around.

When I get someone on me that wants to do that, I act like I'm going to roll at first and then right turn hard into a boost to get extra range. I'm trying to get either above or below their path so I can swoop in behind them. Even better is to boost off into a group of my teammates so they can pick up the easy kill of the guy moving in a straight line trying to blast me.

Seriously all this spinning around all-over the place has given me a headache, nausea and made me throw up irl, (no I'm not joking, I literally just threw up cus of all the spinning).

If the motion of the screen is causing you to experience vertigo, you might try using a program to limit your framerate to something lower than 60fps but above slide-show. Somewhere in the 30s perhaps.

Remember, the enemies gate is down.

To expand upon that, whatever way that you need to go, is down. You must direct yourself to fall to your objective. Space is a strange thing in the fact that if you have a propulsion system, you can fall any way that you are pushed. While I have made myself slightly disorientated at times when spinning as I curve around an astriod to avoid enemy fire, I always find it helpful to not think of up, or down, or even right or left. I just think "I am here, I need to be here." It simplifies the thought process and helps do away with the planetary orientations that we are all used to and instead just gives two basic coordinates.

you dont Approach someone you whant to dogfight directly

what you experniencing is mostlikly the reverse.trust skill from the Scouts,

on the brink of defeat or victory its often the skills that make the difference

the lead indicator not only is for aiming it also Shows you the direction and angle relative to you

the enemy ship is traveling

if yu are dogfighted

you Need to bring enough space bewtween you and your follower before you can turn

to give you enough distance to hit and lock your weapons

also kep in mind that Scouts got have an arsenal of deadly and fast rocket weapons

you Need to think about your engine energy and consumption if you fly anything

else then a a scout, reduced cooldown and energy cost for your dodging.skill

is also very adorable

I grew up playing TIE fighter and X-Wing. Love those games still....Galactic Starfighter is based on the same principle. Full simulation of a real Fighter Jet. WIth the addition of other popular gameplay of games like Ace Combat....as well as other piloting games....

If you never have played any piloting games, Galatic Starfighter may prove near impossible to play...

Suggestion: Read up on REAL LIFE fighter pilot evasive maneuvers, Combat tactics, Combat Techniques, and so forth... While growing up, I always have wanted to be a Naval Fighter Pilot. Some online reading about Ace pilot techniques from some websites about piloting can be useful to anyone that plays.

Seriously all this spinning around all-over the place has given me a headache, nausea and made me throw up irl, (no I'm not joking, I literally just threw up cus of all the spinning). Obviously I immediately stopped playing at that point.

But seriously, how the hell do you do this stuff without spinning around like an empty bottle at a frat party? Surely theres something im doing wrong, but the tutorial was kinda terrible..

Don't wanna completely give up on this, I loved space combat missions, so I thought id love this.. so far though, it's been absolutely god awful.

The space combat missions from PvE are rail shooters. This new PvP game is more of a flight simulator. That is going to involve a lot of spinning around in a 3D environment. That's how that gameplay is. If you can't physically handle that motion, you're not going to be able to play it.

You're not alone, I know a number of people who can't handle that sort of thing. Just know, though, that all of this spinning around isn't the result of you not playing the game right, that's literally how the game is designed, that's how all games in that genre work.

If the spinning makes you nauseous try to fix your eyes on something that is not moving. For instance some UI element like the firing arc circle. When you manage to get the enemy ship in front of you, look at that. Don't try to follow the scenery with your eyes when spinning.

Oh boy I have some SERIOUS L2P issues here, meh i'll give it up as a bad job and prolly try it again in a few months.

Same things going to happen then. The mechanics wont change, and you wont have gotten any better. The best thing for you to do is stop worrying about skills, tricks and battles and just jump in and have some fun.

DON'T focus on one target.......If you get wrapped up in a "circle chase," boost your engines and get out of the area, then target the next nearest ship and attack.....doing a bit of damage and moving on helps your team more than just trying to solo yer own kills.

Well I found a way around it, I just spam boosts into my team mates and have them shoot my chaser lol.. Might be a little bit of a ***** tactic, but its working and I'm having fun doing it, so w/e.

Also it did really help to not think of being "up" or "down" no motion sickness so far, still get a tiny bit dizzy but nothing much.

Idk.. I think maybe last night the fact I was pretty heavily drunk didn't help either.

Oh boy I have some SERIOUS L2P issues here, meh i'll give it up as a bad job and prolly try it again in a few months.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. If it makes you feel any better, stick at it (assuming you can manage the motion sickness - I fortunately haven't experienced this) and it does get better the more you play, you slowly improve. I felt exactly the same when I first started, now I'm still pretty useless but it doesn't feel quite so alien - I'm sure if I put enough hours in I'll get to a playable level. I think some of us just have to accept it doesn't come naturally to us, but that doesn't mean we can't improve with practise. Obviously it's up to you to decide if it's worth it or not, there is nothing wrong with deciding it isn't for you if your not enjoying it.

Normally any kind of unsteady game motion gives me headaches and nausea. I can play MMOs in third-person, but first-person would make me ill.

So it seems weird that I can fly these kinds of space missions without any problem at all. It might be because I am so used to playing them my whole life, but I think it has more to do with staying focused on targeting reticules and info displays, and so I don't really notice the other motion going on so much. Basically, my brain filters out the extraneous info.

So maybe you just need time.

And this is why piloting is not for everyone. There are real pilots out there who suffer the same vertigo effects you do OP.

Some individuals are never affected by vertigo at all. Some are but as they get used to the sensations it eases off. Some will always need external help in the form of motion-sickness medication.

My advice is to keep at it. If you've gone a week and are still puking I will advise you to look into the motion-sickness stuff. Hit it for at least two to four hours a day if you can. The brain needs the practice of rapid reorientation before it realizes what's going on and is fully prepared to tackle what's happening.

I am not one of those individuals that is affected by vertigo but trust me. You're not alone OP. There's plenty of people who are affected by it and they can get past it. You can too.

OP Flying games also make me nauseous, always have, I imagine there are a good number of people like that. I tried about 5 minutes and could see all I was going to get was that queasy feeling and a headache, so i stopped playing and probably won't try it again.:p

Its weird, scuba diving, boating, sky diving, rappelling, none of them make my stomach churn like some of flying video games and games that have what I call a "floaty" motion to them. Oh well, I hope GSF pulls in enough people so that it helps the game overall. For myself, I'll keep my feet on the ground :D

P.S. Now if I could just make some credits selling all those free flying suits they gave me I'd be a happy camper:rolleyes:

Edited by Erasimus