Taking what you know of standard pvp to space combat

Juniormonk

Greetings PvP'ers.

Check out the latest episode of

! We talk space combat 101.

Galactic Starfighting has it's own forum but it is PvP nonetheless. Choose your ship as you would choose a class in standard pvp. I chose the scout that plays like the "rogue" operative. I get in there, stun, dps, and then get the heck out of there. I love that style of game play in space since I'm always healing as a sorc in reg wz's.

1. Strike Fighter: Mid range class. Medium manuverability. significant shields and HP. All around good class

2. Scout: Lightweight armor. Will die quickly if focused. Amazing manuverability. Great for close to midrange combat. Medium to weak firepower.

3. Gunship: Sniper/Tank class. Shoot across the map and one shot your foes. This class is slow and steady. Heavy armor, slow dps. When you do use your sniper shot know that you are a sitting duck. Best to have a wingman when firing up this bad boy.

Cheers!,

Monk aka Gold Leader 6

Edited by Juniormonk

nothing about space combat is remotely linked to real pvp.

I took my characters through 55 levels learned all their skills and trees, counters to other skills and trees, and none of that applies whatsoever to space"pvp"

because space "pvp" is a minigame that has nothing to do with the whole reason we have been playing the game for 2 years.

Its a sideshow. Its pod racing with lasers.

I took my characters through 55 levels learned all their skills and trees, counters to other skills and trees, and none of that applies whatsoever to space"pvp"

because space "pvp" is a minigame that has nothing to do with the whole reason we have been playing the game for 2 years.

I disagree with tthis pvp means player vs player you are fighting other players in space pvp so there for it is pvp

You say the underlined yet say this is no where remotely linked to PvP. I say they are one in the same.

No but seriously. I see the same mistakes in space PvP as I do in ground PvP magnified by everyone just quite litterally flying by the seat of their pants in a race to buy more gear.

Was wondering if I typed "A is under attack" if people would come flying to help. I don't think they would. It's basically civil war where your team tries to capture all 3 points all the time and a lot easier to wander away from the node at neck breaking speed.

No but seriously. I see the same mistakes in space PvP as I do in ground PvP magnified by everyone just quite litterally flying by the seat of their pants in a race to buy more gear.

Was wondering if I typed "A is under attack" if people would come flying to help. I don't think they would. It's basically civil war where your team tries to capture all 3 points all the time and a lot easier to wander away from the node at neck breaking speed.

I've never, ever seen anyone type anything is under attack. It's very weird that there is almost no "chat chatter" in the space PvP. Not even the "you all suck, you should unsub" type. At least in my rather limited experience. Maybe because it's harder to make a concrete, visible mistake?

On the other hand, the one time I sat and guarded a turret... I mean satellite... I called "2 inc C" when I saw 2 red dots show up on the map. Some friends came to help. I have no idea if it was because of my call, but probably, since I was just sitting there alone the rest of the game.

I've never, ever seen anyone type anything is under attack. It's very weird that there is almost no "chat chatter" in the space PvP. Not even the "you all suck, you should unsub" type. At least in my rather limited experience. Maybe because it's harder to make a concrete, visible mistake?

On the other hand, the one time I sat and guarded a turret... I mean satellite... I called "2 inc C" when I saw 2 red dots show up on the map. Some friends came to help. I have no idea if it was because of my call, but probably, since I was just sitting there alone the rest of the game.

LOL It's like being in a fog. All the flashes of flying, lazers and missiles show a new thing when it really is the objective PvP we have been playing People just haven't figured it out yet. There is also quite a bit of progression so we already have complaints of being one-shotted when starting out, and premade complaints are well under way as well.

Space PvP is meh at best. The game mode is not inspiring and promotes turtle and camping strategies (gee, anyone else seeing a theme to BW's WZ design? maybe hire someone new?????), and the progression is a bit mind numbing. And the combat is not that fun either. You either manage to get onto someone's 6 while they are distracted and blow them up, or it ends up becoming a turn fight that can go on and on and on and on.......

It may the just the foundation, but BW is most likely going to pass of Space PvP content as entire PvP content updates. Which is a massive, massive slap in the face to us PvPers who have stuck it out this long.

And as others have said, there is a GSF forum. Go post about it there

As far as balance and dynamics go, space PvP is more "real" than ground PvP.

Personally, my reason to play this game for 2 years was fun. Talents, trees and other shrubbery may rot in PvE hell for all I care.

But yeah, this post doesn't really belong on this forum. GSF forum is there for a reason.

Edited by Helig

By the way, the reason you don't see anyone yelling INC in space PvP is because you don't have to. The minimap is a lot more clear and actually shows the entire freakin' battlefield - so you can see what's going on where at a glance. Unlike in ground PvP, where you have to open the big map in order to see the situation.

The only time to type tactics in chat is when you see your team needs herding and before the match starts, to let your team know which node you plan on going for (I usually fly scouts so I'm there first).

And the combat is not that fun either. You either manage to get onto someone's 6 while they are distracted and blow them up, or it ends up becoming a turn fight that can go on and on and on and on.......

Yeah, if both of you are total noobs at flying. Repeat the cycle a few times, then burn away, drop speed, turn, open fire. 9/10 times you're going to make them go "huh, where, what?" just before you blow them up. Endless jousting matches are for beginners.

Edited by Gaudrath

By the way, the reason you don't see anyone yelling INC in space PvP is because you don't have to. The minimap is a lot more clear and actually shows the entire freakin' battlefield - so you can see what's going on where at a glance. Unlike in ground PvP, where you have to open the big map in order to see the situation.

The only time to type tactics in chat is when you see your team needs herding and before the match starts, to let your team know which node you plan on going for (I usually fly scouts so I'm there first).

Good point. The satellite triangle rotates and flashes and changes to a neutral color before then going through a cycle to the other side and can be turned back.

Might be nice to have that setup in some of the ground PvP.

Dude, get real, it is real pvp. Anything involving player vs player is real pvp, say it isn't to the STO players and they will destroy you. Galactic Starfighter Ships have their own skill trees, each ship and its weapons got counters, so it kind of DOES apply to space pvp unlike what you said, and its not exactly a minigame, if it were podracing with lasers no one would play it, and stop putting quotes around pvp as if its not, you are fighting players to it is there is no question it is pvp, I seriously doubt you have even tried it, or if you have you went in with one of those attitudes of "I hate it already" and never bothered to try again. Anyway, while its not as much work as leveling to 55, it does involve a lot of what you said, don't doubt its pvp, and don't doubt it takes skill. If its a "sideshow", then why are so many people playing it, including some "hardcore pvpers"? Next time, look up the facts about something before you start making assumptions.

Here are some quick tips for GSF

1. Gear up your ships evenly. At least two. I start with my Blackbolt (scout) to capture a satellite quickly. I also choose this ship if I am trying to regain a satellite that has lots of cover ie "C" in the shipyards or "B" in Kuat.

If I know I will be fighting in the open I'll usually switch to my Gunship or my Strike Fighter.

2. Never approach an enemy head on. Playing chicken with a gunship is never a good idea. I like to approach from below or from directly above.

3. Reassign your "F" keys to something closer to ASWD. I use Q,E,F and Shift + Q to toggle between buffs.

4. Here's my rotation for the start of the battle:

a. Power to Thrusters (F3) to get to target satellite

b. Power to Shields (F2) in case a gunship followed me in from the other side

c. Tab target nearest enemy

d. Power to Blasters (F1) and begin the dogfight.

Cycling through your "power to's" is key

I have been using ground game tactics and rhetoric to coordinate if im in a pug match and it works brilliantly. People are just timid at the moment and are afraid to take the mantle of the "leader". It is MUCH easier to communicate through VOIP though.

Maybe swtor should implement some sort of in-game voice chat. It works awesome in DC universe.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been using ground game tactics and rhetoric to coordinate if im in a pug match and it works brilliantly. People are just timid at the moment and are afraid to take the mantle of the "leader". It is MUCH easier to communicate through VOIP though.

Maybe swtor should implement some sort of in-game voice chat. It works awesome in DC universe.

I'm starting to see more and more people chatting it up on my server. Now that we've gotten familiar with the maps and the classes its really starting to get competitive out there. I'm still digging it.