huttball pass reticule

daDren

I always thought that it worked in line of sight... for instance as a throw happens if you get within the circle but between the passer and the receiver then you can intercept the ball? so if you are stood in the center then isn't that giving people chance to intercept the ball by being closer to the passer while still being within the receiver area?

I will try all that, but I have also experienced this reticule accuracy problem as the passer. My dead center can be on my team player, but an opposing team member gets it when they are off centre, or not even in the reticule at all. Still hoping BW sees this forum thread, as It is probably not an actual bug to report.

the pass reticule is not working. many, MANY times I am dead center of a pass from opposing team and their team mate is on the outer rim, and they get it. Please fix.

Intercept in some part seems to work as it does IRL. For example jumping off a ramp and getting the ball in midair in front of the intended receiver.

For the wth moments when the guy behind your left shoulder intercepts. I swear sometimes it looks like RNG at play, but expect it's lag.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Most likely lag or the catch function works off a combination of factors that aren't all obviously apparent. I would guess it takes LoS, distance form the middle of the reticule, character status (stunned, mezzed) and possibly elevation in to account.

It would be nice if we had a 'challenge match' feature that would allow us to arrange a 'just for fun' match in the warzone of our choice. That would allow us to run controlled experiments to determine pass mechanics.

It would be nice if we had a 'challenge match' feature that would allow us to arrange a 'just for fun' match in the warzone of our choice. That would allow us to run controlled experiments to determine pass mechanics.

I always think that when I want to try out something out but I can't because I don't want to be the jumping around in a corner trying to climb a wall while we lose a node.

I have also noticed the pass reticule is not perfect but its good enough about 95% of the time.

One tip to avoid interceptions:

When there are enemies near your receiver, don't pass directly to them. For example, if the enemy is slightly to the left and your teammate is slightly to the right, pass WAY off to the right so only the edge of the target is at your teammates feet, and the enemy is not near it at all.

Here's an example:

Should I have stayed in front of the defender in order to get that pass, or was I simply too late to the center of the pass reticle? My feeling is that it's probably the latter.

it looks like the enemy got right in front of you as the ball was landing. this points towards the theory that it is not, as bioware stated, whoever is closest to the center, but rather, whoever is at the edge closest to the passer.

i too believe that you want to be at the edge.

Edited by Arlanon

I have also noticed the pass reticule is not perfect but its good enough about 95% of the time.

One tip to avoid interceptions:

When there are enemies near your receiver, don't pass directly to them. For example, if the enemy is slightly to the left and your teammate is slightly to the right, pass WAY off to the right so only the edge of the target is at your teammates feet, and the enemy is not near it at all.

yep i do that too whenever im not being stun banged ;)

it looks like the enemy got right in front of you as the ball was landing. this points towards the theory that it is not, as bioware stated, whoever is closest to the center, but rather, whoever is at the edge closest to the passer.

It looked to me like the guy intercepting the pass was nearest the center when the ball was thrown. He certainly passes through the middle of the targeting reticle.

Of course the client side animation is merely a rough approximation of the true reality (i.e. what the server's view of things is). I think "nearest to the center", as BW has stated, is the rule for who catches the ball but the client being behind (in time) can make it appear otherwise.

I agree with the poster who recommends passing to the open side of the receiver (just like in the NFL).

Again, challenge matches would help with some fine details of the mechanics. Presumably a stunned player can not catch the ball. It seems that leaping to a receiver at just the right time results in an interception. Does a leap/root give the leaper priority in catching the ball?

Again, challenge matches would help with some fine details of the mechanics. Presumably a stunned player can not catch the ball. It seems that leaping to a receiver at just the right time results in an interception. Does a leap/root give the leaper priority in catching the ball?

I wish we could do challenge matches also. However, a Cc'd player can indeed catch the ball. I've seen it done, and done it myself. I don't think it was client lag in either case. And, from the number of times it happens, it sure SEEMS like a well timed leap can guarantee an intercept. But I've never heard that BW has said so. And, of course, "well timed" is subject to that same lag problem I guess.

I wish we could do challenge matches also. However, a Cc'd player can indeed catch the ball. I've seen it done, and done it myself.

Thanks for that observation!

And, from the number of times it happens, it sure SEEMS like a well timed leap can guarantee an intercept. But I've never heard that BW has said so. And, of course, "well timed" is subject to that same lag problem I guess.

Agreed.