So I'm "tricked" into subbing... yet still don't have access to ROTHC?

Feskitt

So I'm a bitter $150 CE sucker, quit after the first free 30 days (launch), then after a 3 month stint around last Xmas. Came back for a while for F2P, but never subbed again or bought ROTHC. Have 5 lvl 50's. Rarely play anymore.

A couple times here and there, I thought about re-subbing. When they had that offer for ROTHC fee with a sub. But the wording etc. was ambiguous, so I didn't get it. (did I have to stay sub'd to keep accessing it, for example? People on in-game chat claimed you would)

Just the other day, I saw here, about some offer, 30 extra free days, for former subbers, who return. But I didn't get that email. And it says nothing on the site about it. Again, ambiguous. So again, I refuse to sub.

Then today on the TOR FB page, some dude posted a link. Curious, I clicked it... and it sent me to the TOR "friend referral" page... and apparently, I'm now sub'd!

But it's only for 6 days. And no access to ROTHC? Yet other limits (apparently leveling, bank limit, etc) are lifted.

What's more, I see no way to cancel this 'sub.' The directions in the email (My Account > Subscriptions) does not list "Cancel My Subscription" despite what the email says, which means I'll get automatically billed in 6 days if I don't cancel!

So I'm automatically sub'd, but can't access any +50 content anyhow, and worse of all, I'll probably be billed in 6 days? Bravo TOR!

:mad:

Yes, that's a bug with the "Friend Referral" system that some people are exploiting and it's not affecting just you - long-term subscribers have been hit as well. Take advantage of your current status to weigh in on the thread currently in the CS forums and write a ticket about it, probably mention the name of the guy who posted the link - it's obvious by now people are doing this knowingly.

Just the other day, I saw here, about some offer, 30 extra free days, for former subbers, who return. But I didn't get that email. And it says nothing on the site about it. Again, ambiguous. So again, I refuse to sub.

It was by invitation only. Reading your alleged play history.. I'm not surprised that you did not get the email as I did not get the impression it was a universal invite.

Then today on the TOR FB page, some dude posted a link. Curious, I clicked it... and it sent me to the TOR "friend referral" page... and apparently, I'm now sub'd!

But it's only for 6 days. And no access to ROTHC? Yet other limits (apparently leveling, bank limit, etc) are lifted.

What's more, I see no way to cancel this 'sub.' The directions in the email (My Account > Subscriptions) does not list "Cancel My Subscription" despite what the email says, which means I'll get automatically billed in 6 days if I don't cancel!

So I'm automatically sub'd, but can't access any +50 content anyhow, and worse of all, I'll probably be billed in 6 days? Bravo TOR!

:mad:

Dude.. learn the difference between a free 6 day sub and a paid subscription. You need to actually pay to subscribe to get RoTHC.

Also... you followed someones Facebook link for a Refer-a-Friend and were tricked into subbing via some other person (not Bioware, but as you stated.. some dude posted a link). LOL. You cannot be tricked into anything... you have to actually complete the application process. But I bet you thought it would get you RoTHC for free for 30 days.. didn't you? :)

As for subscription or not.. that's up to you. You cannot cancel a free 6 days sub. You can however remove any payment method from your account and guess what... they cannot bill you and that will prevent a subscription on your account.

Edited by Andryah

Yeh, I think they go about things the wrong way sometimes. I subbed on the 22, and I see people that waited 5 days getting who month more time than I am getting. It makes me regret subbing, and Bioware should avoid making people that sub regret it. Edited by timidobserver

Yeh, I think they go about things the wrong way sometimes. I subbed on the 22, and I see people that waited 5 days getting who month more time than I am getting. It makes me regret subbing, and Bioware should avoid making people that sub regret it.

Promotions are like that though. They come and go without notice... just like sales on items in stores. You are either there and eligible for it or you missed the window.

Yes, that's a bug with the "Friend Referral" system that some people are exploiting and it's not affecting just you - long-term subscribers have been hit as well. Take advantage of your current status to weigh in on the thread currently in the CS forums and write a ticket about it, probably mention the name of the guy who posted the link - it's obvious by now people are doing this knowingly.

I could do that... tho w/ FB fake accounts, doubt it would do any good. Thanks for the info.

Then ask an actual concise coherent question.

I already did.

And a few others have responded. Aint so hard, is it?

Also... you followed someones Facebook link for a Refer-a-Friend and were tricked into subbing via some other person (not Bioware, but as you stated.. some dude posted a link). LOL. You cannot be tricked into anything... you have to actually complete the application process. But I bet you thought it would get you RoTHC for free for 30 days.. didn't you? :)

As for subscription or not.. that's up to you. You cannot cancel a free 6 days sub. You can however remove any payment method from your account and guess what... they cannot bill you and that will prevent a subscription on your account.

I clicked on a link... nothing more. Then received an email that said I was sub'd, and would be billed if I didn't cancel... which I cannot do via the method the official TOR email describes. That is, at least in part, on TOR.

It sounds like I'll have to remove payment methods, then.

I'm not even in the mood to play right now anyhow. Probably won't be til after Xmas, at the soonest. So this 6 days free, which gives me nothing I didn't already have, really isn't helpful anyhow.

:cool:

Is the OP mad that he got 6 days for free?

Should they have transferred money to his bank account?

No. And irrelevant to my post. L2 read.

"Previous Subscribers enjoy seven days of subscription level access with unlimited access to missions and features up to Level 50 plus the following"

http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Straight from the friend-referral site. Was it really so hard to use google?

Again, irrelevant to what happened. So again, L2 read.

Ah, so good to see some things never change around here.

:rolleyes:

I'm not even in the mood to play right now anyhow. Probably won't be til after Xmas, at the soonest. So this 6 days free, which gives me nothing I didn't already have, really isn't helpful anyhow.

Two comments (actually one comment and one question):

1) clicking on links in Facebook = generally not prudent to do unless you know the person (and even then.. caution is prudent)

2) Why on earth did you click on the link from a stranger for a game you are not even interested in playing until after xmas???

I clicked on a link... nothing more. Then received an email that said I was sub'd, and would be billed if I didn't cancel... which I cannot do via the method the official TOR email describes. That is, at least in part, on TOR.

I see. So the link gave you a free 7 days (because you are a "returning" player) automatically when you followed a strangers link. The issue here again is clicking on links from strangers.. and the stranger putting the link there to begin with (which Bioware should prohibit if they can).

It sounds like I'll have to remove payment methods, then.

Generally speaking.. it's not good consumer practice to leave active payment information on internet accounts that you are not actively using.

Edited by Andryah

No. And irrelevant to my post. L2 read.

Ah, so good to see some things never change around here.

Actually that sounds like its exactly what happened to you. You received 7 days of subbing free of charge by clicking on someone's friend-referral link and logging into your account.

Additionally

Preferred Friends Bundle includes:

Unlock: Inventory Module

Unlock: Crew Skill Slot

Customization Control: Display Titles

Customization Control: Unify Colors

Which you mention having gotten in your OP.

Edited by Vandicus

1) clicking on links in Facebook = generally not prudent to do unless you know the person (and even then.. caution is prudent)

2) Why on earth did you click on the link from a stranger for a game you are not even interested in playing until after xmas???

Yeah, I typically wouldn't click on a link like that... but I have anti-virus, etc, and what's more, the link URL started w/ "www.swtor.com/etc etc" so I figured it was going to this site, and maybe it was related to the 30 days thing I'd mentioned.

I'm not in the mood to play, but if a good deal popped up (as the 30 free days almost had be considering it) I might be persuaded to go ahead w/ it.

Would probably come down to a coin toss. I'm going thru FO:NV, and should probably finish that before re-subbing.

Yeah, I typically wouldn't click on a link like that... but I have anti-virus, etc, and what's more, the link URL started w/ "www.swtor.com/etc etc" so I figured it was going to this site, and maybe it was related to the 30 days thing I'd mentioned.

I'm not in the mood to play, but if a good deal popped up (as the 30 free days almost had be considering it) I might be persuaded to go ahead w/ it.

Would probably come down to a coin toss. I'm going thru FO:NV, and should probably finish that before re-subbing.

The 30 days program is for people who re-sub. The FriendReferral Program offers 7 days of free subscription(restricted to level 50 and lower) to former subscribers.

This is generally why you don't click on links out of curiosity.

The refer a friend seems to be from a date before 2.0. Clearly meant to get you in and make you try the game before you sub.

Double check your settings and make sure you have no card numbers they can freely access. Don't be lazy. Delete everything. If they can't bill you they'll force you into preferred status which you don't get billed for.

A little caution is advised when clicking links. Virus scanners don't protect against phishing scams. Sounds like you just got hooked by one.

I see. So the link gave you a free 7 days (because you are a "returning" player) automatically when you followed a strangers link. The issue here again is clicking on links from strangers.. and the stranger putting the link there to begin with (which Bioware should prohibit if they can).

Generally speaking.. it's not good consumer practice to leave active payment information on internet accounts that you are not actively using.

You mean don't take candy from strangers? But she was so damn cute, how could I tell her no!

Actually, what he said was completely relevant to your post. "Previous Subscribers enjoy seven days of subscription level access with unlimited access to missions and features up to Level 50 plus the following"

You asked why you didn't have access to the level 51+ stuff, ie: RotHC, and he told you.

OP, here's an idea...

DO NOT click on links if a) you don't know and trust the sender; and b) you don't know what they are for.

I mean, this is just good internet sense.

I am also not sure exactly what happened here... you surely had to log in or something as well? You didn't just click a link on Facebook and magically the internetz knew your account details, right?

So you brought a game 2 years ago, have never subbed and your now moaning you didn't get to have sub privileges for free?

No that is not what he has problems with. If you read his post again and think you might find out what the problem is.

And if you still can't find out try some of the other posts in the forum because they contain spoilers.