So why is there romance in this game?

myrsosoth

The "immersion" part of the game are the conversations- the fact that every single conversation ever to be had in this game is voiced is actually quite a big deal considering most games don't have that. It is also the fact that you get to build a character. See how they would or wouldn't react in the different situations.

The depth of this game, well, you'll just have to play all 8 of the classes through to the end to discover just how convoluted each story line is and how it affects the other class story lines (I still haven't completed all 8). Also, the planetary story lines of both factions, with the exception of a few as they are essentially the same thing, affect the other side.

For the romance in the game. As said before, it is optional. You, the player, don't have to have your characters romance npcs, it isn't mandatory. As it is, your characters don't have to be reflections of yourself in the game. They don't have to be a type of "self insertion", but rather a fictional character that you could theoretically get to know. Since your characters can be just characters, it turns things from an awkward "I'm romancing the npc" thought to "I wonder how (insert name of character here) would handle this" thought.

The main purpose of Star Wars: The Old Republic seems to be mainly based around the story. How things in the galaxy work, bounce off, e/affect each other and the various stories with their interactions. It isn't based on killing or destroying things, though they are a by product of a fair number of stories. Romance just so happens to be a viable story option.

Edited by Lithaladh

I give you 2/10 for the try. But 1 of the 2 is a pity-point, because I am a gentle person. :p

You can have two more bonus points for answering the following two questions:

What is "very weird about that"? (Please be specific and detailed.)

What do you think yourself it could be? Let's have an insight about your mindset, shall we?

Just 2 more? Damn. I didn't even know we were graded on posts, especially when you're just asking a question. So hornet's nest kicked over, I guess. People kind of touchy about this, aren't they?

1) What's weird about rping with nobody, and instead pretending with pixels and submissive dialogue put in just so you can "be in love"?

Honestly I thought it was obvious. Especially when there's no real RPing going on and it's simply a matter of clicking the flirt options in dialogue enough time to where they finally say, "Gimme a hell yeah!" No, I don't see any romance in that. I see a sop thrown to players, an easy out, kind of like Julia Roberts telling Richard Gere she's a sure thing. Doesn't romance come from what we call actually "winning" somebody over who isn't just throwing themselves at you, and the deep connection that follows having leapt over that hurdle? A connection which does not exist with an NPC who only talks to you in cantinas or on the ship, and is prone to discuss what they want to. It's not like you're walking down the beach holding hands or anything. Really this is akin to Barkley getting "romantic" with a hologram of Deanna Troi.

2) Ah, going on the offensive. I always respect that. Well done.

My mindset, as it pertains to the question is this. Romance a fine thing, but I prefer it with real people. In that spirit, if I'm Bioware, I scrap the cheesy NPC dialogue and instead make it more possible with the living/ make the game more RP friendly. Maybe a "single's night" in the fleet cantina or on Nar Shaddaa. Make chairs that the toons can actually sit in, more drinks that can be bought with a myriad of effects, possibly even combine emotes to be done in sync with the effects. Encourage players who value romance in the their RP to do it with others in a safe manner where people can be assured they won't be harassed, and if they are, the offenders punished harshly. Since we have no player housing, more decorations or something on the ships to make the mood more appropriate. Music, flowers, boxes of chocolates, whatever. Maybe around Valentine's day, optional romance-based missions that further encourage interaction between players wanting to RP inline with their social points system. Etc.

People keep saying this is about RP, and for those who actually do it with other players, good for you. But if you're sitting their fantasizing about an NPC, yeah, that's weird. That's not romantic.

And feel free to save the points for those that value if them, if such exist.

its a bioware game. bioware rpg's have romances.

overly scripted you say? i have news for you. os are every other romance that bioware has ever written. they follow a singular path to inevitable conclusion. each and every time. with very minor variations. in fact, there are more variations to dialogue and progression of romances in SWTOR then there are in Mass effect 3.

if you find it creepy? don't do them

its no creepier than platonic friendships with npc's... which is what you get with companions and other characters you meet during the course of the story that are either unavailable for romance, or that you chose NOT to romance.

or do you find fictional romances creepy in general? do you have trouble separating yourself from your in game character? (now that's creepy >_> )

or do you find writers that create characters and then put them through variety of situations creepy?

repeat after me.

your avatar in a game is NOT you.

its a character in a game that you have a measure of control over. just like a character you may be playing in pen and paper role playing game? lord I hope they are not you, but rather a fictional character you have created.

Edited by Jeweledleah

Just 2 more? Damn. I didn't even know we were graded on posts, especially when you're just asking a question. So hornet's nest kicked over, I guess. People kind of touchy about this, aren't they?

1) What's weird about rping with nobody, and instead pretending with pixels and submissive dialogue put in just so you can "be in love"?

Honestly I thought it was obvious. Especially when there's no real RPing going on and it's simply a matter of clicking the flirt options in dialogue enough time to where they finally say, "Gimme a hell yeah!" No, I don't see any romance in that. I see a sop thrown to players, an easy out, kind of like Julia Roberts telling Richard Gere she's a sure thing. Doesn't romance come from what we call actually "winning" somebody over who isn't just throwing themselves at you, and the deep connection that follows having leapt over that hurdle? A connection which does not exist with an NPC who only talks to you in cantinas or on the ship, and is prone to discuss what they want to. It's not like you're walking down the beach holding hands or anything. Really this is akin to Barkley getting "romantic" with a hologram of Deanna Troi.

My mindset, as it pertains to the question is this. Romance a fine thing, but I prefer it with real people. In that spirit, if I'm Bioware, I scrap the cheesy NPC dialogue and instead make it more possible with the living/ make the game more RP friendly. Maybe a "single's night" in the fleet cantina or on Nar Shaddaa. Make chairs that the toons can actually sit in, more drinks that can be bought with a myriad of effects, possibly even combine emotes to be done in sync with the effects. Encourage players who value romance in the their RP to do it with others in a safe manner where people can be assured they won't be harassed, and if they are, the offenders punished harshly. Since we have no player housing, more decorations or something on the ships to make the mood more appropriate. Music, flowers, boxes of chocolates, whatever. Maybe around Valentine's day, optional romance-based missions that further encourage interaction between players wanting to RP inline with their social points system. Etc.

People keep saying this is about RP, and for those who actually do it with other players, good for you. But if you're sitting their fantasizing about an NPC, yeah, that's weird. That's not romantic.

And feel free to save the points for those that value if them, if such exist.

Then why are you even playing games? Romance has been a staple in RPG's since the beginning. Also I am not sure if you realize this but people like to explore things in virtual worlds. What exactly is so wrong with that?

myrsosoth;6967149]Just 2 more? Damn. I didn't even know we were graded on posts, especially when you're just asking a question. So hornet's nest kicked over, I guess. People kind of touchy about this, aren't they?

You can roleplay with a genuine player if you desire. My jedi is married to a trooper (another player) and yes I do enjoy that more based on the roleplay you can come up with but our roleplay has been going on for a while now. We basically started with a forum roleplay prior to the game and took it to game, even though the guild still has the forum roleplay going.

There are others from my guild that do the same. One of my friends roleplay her relationship with her boyfriend (r/l) online as well. Some enjoy this as you have stated but there are also others that enjoy the romance of the companions. There is no right or wrong way to play the game. You play it based on what you like.

You may not like or understand it but there is nothing weird with what they do.

You can purchase flowers from the fleet cantina vendor. As far as being harassed, I have yet to be harassed for being married. Of course I rarely go to the cantina so that might be the reason and of course my guild would has a tendancy to be bit protective of our guild members so that could be the reason as well.

I think people should be able to enjoy their roleplay in a way they like whether it is with another player or with a npc, it is after all what they enjoy that matters. Is it weird? No not really it is just a different way of playing and it is fun for them. We need to learn to be more accepting of how others play and respect their wishes.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Spot on example of part of modern society:

Violence, killing, torture - cool, mature, fun etc.

Romance, flirting, sex - creepy, perverse etc.

Perfect. This is how

- gaming

- movies

are done nowadays.

Kids believing that everything involving violence, murder, rapture, torture is just "mature" and "fun",

meanwhile at the same time thinking that everything regarding altruism, having feelings, romance, beauty etc. is just "immature", "childish" and "uncool".

I'm 44 now, and I'm so much sick of that already.

Yeah, trust and affection are for wusses. Nothing is true. Everything is permitted. #YOLO #SWAG

LOL :D

its a bioware game. bioware rpg's have romances.

That, too.

It's just the way it is : Bioware games just have romances built in. You just can't escape it. :D

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Kids believing that everything involving violence, murder, rapture, torture is just "mature" and "fun",

meanwhile at the same time thinking that everything regarding altruism, having feelings, romance, beauty etc. is just "immature", "childish" and "uncool".

Added to that, romance and emotional connections are usually viewed as distinctly feminine things, whereas physical violence and sex (without an emotional connection, or with a lessened one) are considered to be awfully masculine.

AHA, found it!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/i10-600x461.png

http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/i11-600x461.png

(From, I believe, the Injustice comic.)

The assumption that aggressive, nihilistic, hopeless and very brown/bloom heavy media is inherently more "mature" than media that has hope, emotions that go beyond "I am raging at my sadness" and responses that are not "I'll punch my sadness into you."

It seems like a misunderstanding of what both themes are - particularly with comics, but also sci-fi media in general, I think a lot of the people (ah, men, actually) now writing grew up with the hopeful, colourful, smiling ideas, and have at some point begun to associate that with their childhood, and then childishness, leading to the false idea that nihilism and pessimism are "adult" things.

Also, one could argue that a lack of emotional investment to characters makes it easier to mindlessly consume media - enjoying it on a superficial level, meaning it's easier to be marketed to, and easier to consume more.

I remember Christopher Nolan talking about his original-work movies (like Inception and Memento) - yes, he's talking more intelligence than emotional connections, but it's possible the same is true for both. Hollywood too often assumes that its audience are stupid - might they not also assume they're emotionally disconnected as well?

Clearly, they've never read a book that's been written well enough for them to feel empathy for the characters.

I got teary when Gavroche died.

Heck, i teared up at various points in Toradora, and it's a cartoon where none of the characters die. Angel Beats, OTOH, was another cartoon that had me tearing up, especially at the end, but in that one everyone dies. (Sort of, considering they were all technically dead at the start; it's slightly complicated.)

Very well written books with characters you can really sympathize with are even worse.

To me Bioware's characters in SWTOR rarely come close to that level, but there are some i genuinely sympathize with. However those characters are never romantic options anyway, so it's a moot point.

The story line romances have no effect on the relationships of RPers, just like each class story line doesn't have much effect on all RP. They're just little side stories, and I fail to see why you find it "creepy".

Seriously, I'm an emotionally healthy adult in a long term relationship, and I enjoy a romantic subplot in games as much as I enjoy them in books and movies. I'm not a huge fan when romance is the main focus, but love and/or romantic relationships are one of those things that nearly everyone on this planet experiences (in one form or another), and it is a very easy way for writers to create an emotional connection between the viewer, reader, or in this case gamer. How is a romantic subplot in the story portion of SWtOR any different from Leia and Han in the movies?

I think people should be able to enjoy their roleplay in a way they like whether it is with another player or with a npc, it is after all what they enjoy that matters. Is it weird? No not really it is just a different way of playing and it is fun for them. We need to learn to be more accepting of how others play and respect their wishes.

Nowhere did I try and tell people how they should RP or play the game, but this paragraph is fair enough. The question was presented maybe not as tactfully as it could have been, but I still haven't got a real answer yet either. Me personally, I thought it was far more amusing to spurn Kaliyo, watch her be surprised then later on call me a "piece of cowardly filth" than it was having Ensign Temple explain to me that I need to choose between here and Kaliyo in a previous run-through. So that previous toon successfully gets together with Temple. And?? And then what? Nothing? Is it going anywhere? Does it make her better at combat or crafting? Aside from what I think of it in general, I don't see the point. I had Kaliyo super upset with me, probably couldn't have gotten her any angrier. But she still comes along on the missions, and still does her job whether she loves me or hates me.

But for those who enjoy it, you have that moment of acceptance, and then what do you do? Do people then take their NPCs to the bar and imagine themselves having conversations with character? With the legacy system, all of your toons become stronger by being "connected". If there's really a stronger bond with a certain NPC, why is there no tangible effect to go along with that? Shouldn't there be a special status fo go along with that to reflect it? Why does "affection" only affect crafting? It just seems very shallow, and thus without a point to me.

Nowhere did I try and tell people how they should RP or play the game, but this paragraph is fair enough. The question was presented maybe not as tactfully as it could have been, but I still haven't got a real answer yet either

There won't be a "real answer" because there is no real question. You're simply showing your contempt and despise for this kind of content. Nothing more.

Edited by wainot-keel

but I still haven't got a real answer yet either.

Because people enjoy them.

People are allowed to enjoy different things, for various reasons, without having to justify themselves to you. Which is really all you're asking:

How can you enjoy something I don't like? Grovel before me and spill your deepest secrets!

And, really, is that what you do in real life? Only engage in conversations where there might be immediate material benefit for you? Why are you so offended by the notion that people might engage with a story or the characters? How is it "creepy" to enjoy a game or a story line? Do you actually assume that, because we're reading and interacting with a story, that we actually feel true, romantic attraction with fictional characters, as we do with our own partners? Really?

I dare say it's not us who are "creepy".

I dont mind romance in games. The subplots in swtor are so dull though as are many of the companions up to a point. They never die which would have a greater emotional impact especially is mixed in with the romantic subplot. Some companions need to be killed off and replaced just to keep things fresh. Many of the characters developments are over by the 3rd chapter and are generally pointless after that.

Romantic attachment is against the Jedi teachings for a reason yet this rpg ignores that and never explores it. Never gives a choice between saving the one your character loves or the greater good. It misses one of the most important story elements in star wars and probably the most common causes of falling to the dark side.

Edited by Tellenn

Because people enjoy them.

People are allowed to enjoy different things, for various reasons, without having to justify themselves to you. Which is really all you're asking:

How can you enjoy something I don't like? Grovel before me and spill your deepest secrets!

And, really, is that what you do in real life? Only engage in conversations where there might be immediate material benefit for you? Why are you so offended by the notion that people might engage with a story or the characters? How is it "creepy" to enjoy a game or a story line? Do you actually assume that, because we're reading and interacting with a story, that we actually feel true, romantic attraction with fictional characters, as we do with our own partners? Really?

I dare say it's not us who are "creepy".

^^^This...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.