The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

2.4 Hybrid Vanguard DPS Guide

paowee

This is a breakdown of C-tor's Vanguard DPS parses. You can check how much DPS he does in raids here

Guide here >> http://swtorboard.org/2013/11/15/vanguard-powertech-dps/

Table of Contents:

Priority (Basic Rotation)

Opener

Pattern

Inputting abilities

Maximize DPS

Energy Management

Cooldowns

Vanguard DPS Parses

Edited by paowee

I'm trying as hard as I can with almost full Oriconian gear and I can only manage to do 2.5k dps on bosses. FFS I loved the pre-nerf assault :_____

I am wearing almost full Oriconian as well with UW and PVP SA relics and a 72 MH. The most I can do on the dummy at the moment is 3000 flat DPS :| . Still miles away from what C-tor can do. :confused:

Edited by paowee

I'm trying as hard as I can with almost full Oriconian gear and I can only manage to do 2.5k dps on bosses. FFS I loved the pre-nerf assault :_____

Are you keeping 3 stacks of Pulse Generator on cooldown? After spending quite some time reading C-tor's raid parses, one pattern i noticed is that he uses

• Pulse Cannon religiously every 15 seconds
  • He consistently gets 3 Ion Pulses in between his Pulse Cannons
  • He resets and uses HiB twice in between his Pulse Cannons
  • He does not try to keep Incendiary Round up 100% of the time but instead couples it with Reserve Powercell. Similarly Stockstrike wasn't used on cooldown. Both abilities seem to be conditional-use abilities with Pulse Cannon, Ion Pulse x 3, HiB x 2 being the main priority. Also Battle Focus is teamed up with Shoulder Cannon (at the very start of the fight) for massive burst.
  • And he starts the fight with HiB so it gets reset as soon as he begins Ion Pulse spam

Edited by paowee

Very nice. I'm glad I read that...I wasn't going to, as I have no desire to ever play tactics, or tactics hybrid, but I did and it was very well written and informational.

Assault/Pyro fo' life. :)

Again, very nice guide.

Thanks. I haven't gotten around to playing any of the full tree specs myself because I want to replicate C-tor's parses :D I understand i need gear for that as well so it might take a while. If i understand it correctly, looking at the skill tree, the only major difference Hybrid has over full Assault/Pyro is the capstone talent. Basically... replacing Flamethrower/Pulse Cannon with Thermal Detonator/Assault Plastique.

And if you look at the cooldowns of both abilities, Pulse Cannon is 15 seconds. Assault Plastique is also 15 seconds. So the playstyle seem to be somewhat similar and shouldn't be too difficult to swap into. The only major difference being... Pulse Cannon is AoE and requires you to channel, while Plastique is an instant ability that deals damage + DoT on a single target only.

Edited by paowee

Thanks. I haven't gotten around to playing any of the full tree specs myself because I want to replicate C-tor's parses :D I understand i need gear for that as well so it might take a while. If i understand it correctly, looking at the skill tree, the only major difference Hybrid has over full Assault/Pyro is the capstone talent. Basically... replacing Flamethrower/Pulse Cannon with Thermal Detonator/Assault Plastique.

And if you look at the cooldowns of both abilities, Pulse Cannon is 15 seconds. Assault Plastique is also 15 seconds. So the playstyle seem to be somewhat similar and shouldn't be too difficult to swap into. The only major difference being... Pulse Cannon is AoE and requires you to channel, while Plastique is an instant ability that deals damage + DoT on a single target only.

That and you dont have to worry about keeping Gut up. You do have to keep the target on fire though...

Also if you are Prioritising AP, its a 10 GCD rotation, as opposed to a 9 GCD rotation.

And your main job is throwing HiB at them, as opposed to Pulse Cannon

So its:

HiB (when up)

Stock Strike (off cooldown)

Incendiary Round/Assault Plastique (When the DoT wears off)

Ion Pulse (when Stock Strike is on cooldown, the target isn't on fire, and Energy > 60)

Hammer Shots (when <60 energy)

However, after 3GCDs from HiB, you only use Stock Strike/Ion Pulse until you can HiB again.

and thats the basics of full assault. Oh and stay away from alacrity. You want 0%

Edited by TACeMossie

It can not be "that" simple >_<. Hmm...

You should have a look at some of my older posts concerning rotation and spec :)

Again, I'm only a SM hero, but I'm top 3 VG DPS on almost every OP boss, and a few #1's :)

But, I love the spec, it's simplicity, it's mobility, and how easy it is to position, move, and maintain DPS while actually enjoying the fight!

I love the big numbers my sniper puts up, and the fact I can view the whole battlefield, but its mobility bores me.

VG DPS....Holla!

EDIT: this is w/ 72MH barrel, Ob SA/Matrix cube, 72/72/72 boots/gloves and 78/78/72 rest.

Edited by T-Assassin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This is an awesome guide. I'm currently lvling a VG with this spec in mind for end gamen but had one question, as. Its not entirely clear: what cell do i use? I am currently r unning with HEC and assumed i'd switch one i started filling up the third tree. Is that correct? Or should i be in plasma cell right away?

Update from C-tor regarding Skill Tree and Stats. He runs BOTH 2/22/22 and the 6/x/x variant.

C-tor:

I run 8/22/16 on: CZ, Grob

2/22/22 on: Nefra, Draxus, Bestia, Cal

4/6/36 on: Raptus, Tyrans, Brontes, Dread Masters

I run 110 crit from my earpiece right now, but I plan on buying the

power/surge earpiece. If you run 2/22/22, you should definitely have a

little crit. I plan on trying 8/22/16 on my 2/22/22 bosses next week.

The extra bonus to mainstat from my FR relic in 8/22/16 seems to be

pretty decent so far, so I am most likely going to just run full power.

Crit rating kinda sucks with 8/22/16. I dummy parsed a couple times

with the new relics and 8/22/16 is significantly better now.

If you plan on investing on some crit, use 2/22/22

If you plan to go full power, use 8/22/16

If you plan to use the FR relics, go with 8/22/16 because it picks up the mainstat talent

Edited by paowee

I've seen a number of references to 8/8/30 and 8/7/31 builds. I assume the 8 in the shield tree is the same as with the 8/22/16 build. So, it's the tactics and assault trees that are vague for me and my google results are not helpful. Could someone post some links to one or both of those builds?

Also, just looking at the trees, I was wondering if 8/10/28 would make sense. Sorry for no link. I'm forum challenged; I need to figure out how to link my choices.

Thanks

I've seen a number of references to 8/8/30 and 8/7/31 builds. I assume the 8 in the shield tree is the same as with the 8/22/16 build. So, it's the tactics and assault trees that are vague for me and my google results are not helpful. Could someone post some links to one or both of those builds?

Also, just looking at the trees, I was wondering if 8/10/28 would make sense. Sorry for no link. I'm forum challenged; I need to figure out how to link my choices.

Thanks

They're here :)http://swtorboard.org/2013/11/15/vanguard-powertech-dps/

8/22/16 http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZrsMrobRMZfhbrzo.3

2/22/22 http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8010MZrsMrobRMZfhbrzRr.3

4/6/36 http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hzZMsZfhbrzRrffdz.3