Ninjas in flashpoints - Can be fixed easily

I am not sure where "the knight could use the enhancement so its not ninja looting" is coming from. All classes use the same enhancements in gear, does that mean they should role need on them? Of course not. I have a zero tolerance policy for ninja looters and no, comps are not an integral part of you characters effectiveness, so rolling need cuz your "comp" needs it is a no no.

The general rule of thumb, is if you want to get it for a comp do not roll. If everyone else rolled greed, ask if you can need it for comp (guaranteed they won't object if they rolled greed on it). I do not think there is a reason for BW to restrict gear, since gear that drops in FPs in insignificant, aside from HM 55, and even that is not that valuable.

So you're one of those people who still think the world is flat?

You cannot re-define terms that everyone else accepts as another definition. But if you are, I'll leave you to it in your wrongness.

Actually I think that he was quite right in what he said. We have a very different gearing system in SWTOR than WoW or any other MMORPG has. Honestly if someone needs 1 Mod, 2 Mods, or all the Mods, they have as much right to them as does anyone else. Alternately I would be in agreement that the armor shell should never be needed for, as any other armor shell of the same weight class would do the same job, so that cosmetic upgrade should always be considered a greed roll, unless there is a discussion about it amongst the group members.

In WoW, and most other MMORPGs you can either use an item or you can't, it's much more cut and dry there than it is here.

Quite frankly I personally Greed everything that drops, and need on anything that is an upgrade for my character in their current spec/role. Considering most items I need drop only in HM Ops and above, I don't need all that often, except on Rep Tokens for Reps I am still grinding, and I only get upset when people greeded on the last Rep Token and then Need on the one that just dropped.

main stat for every class is defined - it's aim, willpower, cunning or strength

if you NEED for a gear with not your main stat - it's ninja looting

you can think anything about you not being ninja, but the fact is that you NEED a gear with others main stat

the rule is - NEED only for gear with your main stat

if you want it for your alt or companion or even enhancement for yourself - ask before

as for blaming BW - every thief has an excuse

"it's not me - it's just a hard life and circumstances!"

Wondering if troll or not.

Who are you to define what Need means? Bioware certainly hasn't. You're saying need is for things with an upgrade, if he has a level 4 enhancement, a lvl 30 one drops, it's an upgrade, so why can't he need it?

Likelihood is if it drops anyway you won't need each of the mods if it's your class. Deal with it and move on, he won it fair and square, his is useful to him. Sure, you may need it more, but he still needs it.

I share your concern OP. I hoped in the future Bioware could implement some kind of bonus to a roll if the item's highest state is the primary of a class, but it'd probably be too difficult to implement. As for me, I tend to bring it up once and then leave it alone, or just leave. If someone's needing gear that isn't a priority for their character, I'm too tempted to do it in return to others and that's not the right thing to do.

Had a Mercenary need on a blue Sith Warrior gear in Hammer Station recently, when we had no one to really make use of it. I don't know what ran through his head, because he wasn't a new player, but I just knew that after that I had to stop playing FP's for the day. Mind you, this is after two failed runs of Hammer before even getting to the first boss because the tanks(Who were obviously DPS specced) only queued tank because it was 'shorter' or the healer rage quit.

Some battles you can't win. Get a guild, get some friends, and work with the people you trust is the only permanent solution to this issue. You can't always trust the community. Oh, and if you can, never go to a level you are disgusted with. The urge to 'get back' at those who frequently take gear you know you could make much more use of can be very strong, but its just not worth it in the end. Half the time they might be decent enough to trade with you if you bring logic, and the other half they may just take pride in the fact they got under your skin and you can't do anything to get it back.

Keep calm, deep breath, and handle yourself as best you can.

Edited by RayceUlrand

So, how about a sentinel needing on guardian gear, or a guardian needing on sentinel gear, if they need the mods, but not the armour itself?

Perfectly fine, all the stats come from the mods, so the mods are all that matters (and by extention, that also means that rolling on a chest so you can take the mods out and put them in your legs is fine too, even if you already have a better chest).

To the OP, I would consider it ninja looting too, except for if the dropped item is a tanking piece and the one needing for enhancement is the tank. In that case, you have the tank rolling for 1 single mod (the enhancement) VS a dps/healer rolling for an another single mod (the armoring), and I'd even argue that the tank has priority since armorings can be bought for comms, while enhancements with tank stats can not until higher levels.

However, ninja looting rules are all player made, and thus different players will have different definitions. Some looser, like the ones arguing it's fine to need for an enhancement, some stricter saying a healer is not allowed to roll on something with accuracy on it even if the rest is for their class. It could also be argued that everyone put as much effort into killing the bosses as everyone else and thus have a equal right to it.

I think the need-greed system is basically for improving your mmo-social-communication skills. You dont like what I need? Tell me. You want to need something that you shouldnt? You need to use the chat. It is a very good exercise to improve communications, so stubborn, selfish and ignorant people get filtered out to the ignored list by the time they come to operations. I always ask me on sm fps: do i want to go with this guy to ops? add to friends list! never want to see him again? ignore list! Imho filling up those lists is one of the main purposes in sm fps.

So, why dont i need on gear with an enchantment i could use? Bcos (1) then i could practically need on _almost_anything_ making need/greed useless and (2) others will not be able to see if my need is rightful (nobody will thoroughly inspect your gear wrt enchantments). So not needing on these stuff will make others _trust_ in me, and maybe they will enjoy fp/operating with me next time.

There is yet another aspect to this game which complicates things more: tank divas and emo healers.

If i am with tank/healer toon OR (me and ninja are both dps), then:

1. If gruppie needed on stuff not mine nor his (regarding main stat) , i will make a friendly reminder not to ninja, and vote kick/ignore on second act

2. If the loot is mine and not his, needs and wins, I will demand the loot, and vote kick/ignore/quit group(if kick fails) if he doesnt give it up. If he gives it up, it is back to friendly reminder.

Now for DPS, it is clearly unfavourable to put any tank/healer on ignore, so as dps I just make the friendly reminder, then ask friendly, if he won mine. Some tanks and healers are major donkey-holes in this game, so I use ignore on them as a last resort.

So someone asked about mara/sent needing jugg/guard stuff and vice versa. Both may have a right to need other's stuff to some extent ... but ... if there is at least one jugg in the group, it is the safest for the mara to greed.

If there are zero juggs/guards in the group, it is totally OK to need, but the best is to _ask_ beforehand. "can i need on this strength armor?" - sure, yes! just ask before needing :))

• 6 months later...