Can u be banned for healing npcs in section x lol?

Ajuma

Saw some MAJOR butthurt on the imp side because a rebel healed rebel npcs for a few minutes and an imp with 34k health couldn't kill a STRONG NPC!!!! guy got all upset threatening he will get everyone banned and such lol. How can u be banned for part of the game?

I'm pretty sure this is allowed, happens all over. Naturally the thing to do is to disengage the mob and leave the bored factional player to harrass someone else...that is usually what I do.

Then of course there are the dolts that follow me directly to the huge factional cannons at the entrance and get squashed almost instantly. You would think if someone engages in this kind of behavior they would at least be intelligent enough to know not to agro factional turrets and NPCs...but what can I say.

I see at least two or three pubs get wiped by the cannons every week. Like moths to flame....

Pretty lulzy. But an even better place is Ilum, or any of the lower-level shared planets. Especially areas near class quests that lowbies HAVE to complete\get through. Just sit there and heal mobs. They'll never finish it. :D

I swear I'm not a griefer. ;)

You can do something else amusing too on PvP servers. Get them to hit you, then start throwing a heal or so on mobs nearby that aren't in the fight and they will suddenly turn and enguage.

On the flip side, simply turn around and walk away, the people who do this tend to get bored rather fast if no one is around to harass.

Doing this should get you a warning if you are intentionally harassing another player.

Pretty lulzy. But an even better place is Ilum, or any of the lower-level shared planets. Especially areas near class quests that lowbies HAVE to complete\get through. Just sit there and heal mobs. They'll never finish it. :D

I swear I'm not a griefer. ;)

Doing THIS should get you banned outright.

This crosses the line of griefing and soundly into malicious harassment. You are intentionally taking advantage of game mechanics to mess around with other player progression which is exploiting.

yeah this was on section x, guy pissed and moaned for over an hour over it lol, threatened he was on the phone and all with swtor. we got a good kick out of it, and this is pve server

So in other words.. you gained high entertainment value for your efforts. :D

Hey.. it's his problem, not yours. He needs to get over it... but it's nice of him to give you feature length entertainment for your efforts. :)

This crosses the line of griefing and soundly into malicious harassment. You are intentionally taking advantage of game mechanics to mess around with other player progression which is exploiting.

Squishing lower level NPCs so lower level characters cannot do their mission progressions is inappropriate, but I doubt it is a warning/ban offense on a PvP server. PVE server.. yeah probably.

It's a cheese ball thing to do.... but PvPers often do it to attract some high level opposition for some open world PvP. If it's just a douche being a douche.... get some high level friends and teach them the error of their ways.

Doing this should get you a warning if you are intentionally harassing another player.

And letting that poor, innocent NPC die is any better?

The best solution would be to flag players for PVP if they heal an NPC that is in combat with another player.

Well in theory a PvE server is supposed to keep players from interfering with one another's progression even if they're on different factions. I don't really know how close that is to reality(as I play on a PvP server), but it seems like requiring people on a PvE server to PvP to deal with opposite faction preventing progress violates that premise.

Edited by Vandicus

I think its fine if its for a short while, but that sort of behaviour can get out of hand and become griefing if taken too far. Like a poster said above, halting a player's class progression for a long period of time (more than just a couple minutes), or full-on harassment by following a player around and healing NPCs are forms of griefing (at least on PvE servers).

The best solution would be to flag players for PVP if they heal an NPC that is in combat with another player.

How would that help when a lvl 55 is healing a mob on tatooine against a lvl 20 or so enemy player?

Not saying that it's horribly wrong to do the healing, just saying that this would not be a solution.

How would that help when a lvl 55 is healing a mob on tatooine against a lvl 20 or so enemy player?

Not saying that it's horribly wrong to do the healing, just saying that this would not be a solution.

Flagged PvP AND de-boosted down to the affected opposing player's level for the duration of fight!

Why? The game mechanics allow for it (since you are of the same faction). If anything, they should make it that you cannot heal NPCs and thus the problem is solved. If it is a 'griefing' move (as the respondent said) then what if the person is RPing that being a hero of their faction that they are not doing what is just and right to their status as a hero???

In factional contest worlds (Nar Shaddaa, Tattooine, Hoth, Quesh, Balsavis, Voss, Courescant, Makeb, and Oricon - probably missed one somewhere like Ilum) its part of the story. Also any class critical mission area is instanced so it doesn't stop the character progression. Also you can always cut and run. One thing you could do as well is call in some higher level people to overwhelm the instagator....

Blakinik

Douche move - absolutely. Griefing - I wouldn't call it that.

This has been discussed several time before and if BIoware does not consider it griefing, it comes perilously close (on a PVE server).

It is NOT faction warfare nor role playing. The person healing the NPC mob gains nothing (laughs do not count!) in the way of credits, gear, xp, or quest advancement while impeding another players progress. The healer is entirely immune to retaliation due to abuse of a game mechanic (no flag for healing an NPC in a fight with another player).

Proper RP would be to be PVP flagged so the other player can fight you if they wish. You think it is in any way legit that you are screwing with a member of the other faction, but they have no way to attack you?

Bioware has stated that "role playing" is not an excuse for any activity you feel fits the bill. When this happened to me I took a screen shot and informed the player I will submit with a complaint if they do not stop. Both times they stopped.

Edited by RandomXChance

Saw some MAJOR butthurt on the imp side because a rebel healed rebel npcs for a few minutes and an imp with 34k health couldn't kill a STRONG NPC!!!! guy got all upset threatening he will get everyone banned and such lol. How can u be banned for part of the game?

Exploiting game mechanics is defined to allow consideration of intent......and in this case I think that would be referenced as it was done with the obvious intent of harassing other players via said exploit.

Edited by Blackardin

Oh and BTW, remember when the game first came out and people were banned by using an exploit to jump ahead to Ilum and get high level gear? Part of the game did not cut it.

Why? then what if the person is RPing that being a hero of their faction that they are not doing what is just and right to their status as a hero???

In this case they still maintain the right of appeal. He could forward your reply in his defense. I would suspect, in this case, that he would have to as it is mot something really associated with RP/PVE, at least in the manner exhibited.

It is entirely possible however, so right of appeal grants them opportunity to distinguish themselves as acting in that manner.

Edited by Blackardin

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.