Drawing aggro of mobs chasing other players

RedShirtRob

Once yesterday and once today, I was battling a Champion in the Heroic area of Oricon when another player raced through on his/her speeder, trailed by a mob. When the mobs "gave up" and retreated, they attacked me, rather than returning to their default, "idle" positions (which was fatal, as I already was fighting a Champion solo).

Anybody noticing similar? Is this new mob behavior? I don't recall it happening before yesterday.

Once yesterday and once today, I was battling a Champion in the Heroic area of Oricon when another player raced through on his/her speeder, trailed by a mob. When the mobs "gave up" and retreated, they attacked me, rather than returning to their default, "idle" positions (which was fatal, as I already was fighting a Champion solo).

Anybody noticing similar? Is this new mob behavior? I don't recall it happening before yesterday.

Did you or a companion use any AOE attackes/Taunts that would cause them to aggro you. It may have been subtle and even if only a single member of the mob were to get attacked or taunted, the entire mob would attack.

This only happens when you inadvertently AoE the chasing mobs.

In most cases, when people are dragging mobs, they haven't done any damage to them, thus they are unlocked and will lock to the first character who does damage. Any AoE, even weak AoE like pushes, pulses, blind effects, or even CC will lock a mob to you. I think area taunts will get them to attack you, but leave them unlocked. Usually your companion will fix that problem, though.

This happens many other places, but its most common in areas with dense collections of mobs. Just last week I was playing and saw an underleveled player trying to peel some trailing mobs off himself by dragging them through our champion fight (juggernaut and mercenary, both with significant AoE abilities). We saw it coming and avoided all area attacks until the mobs were out of range (the dragging jerk died a horrible death).

Edited by Malastare

Did you or a companion use any AOE attackes/Taunts that would cause them to aggro you. It may have been subtle and even if only a single member of the mob were to get attacked or taunted, the entire mob would attack.
Just an FYI... MOB in an MMO context is an acronym for "Mobile OBject" and not a group of enemies.

So you can be attacked by a single MOB or a mob of MOBs.

...and knowing is half the battle!

a AOE affect from your companion likely hit 1 or more of the mobs. with 0 threat from the 'other player' any attack that hit or aoe to touch any of the other mobs would draw the full cell in to you.

a AOE affect from your companion likely hit 1 or more of the mobs. with 0 threat from the 'other player' any attack that hit or aoe to touch any of the other mobs would draw the full cell in to you.

Yup. This is exactly it. If you don't damage any of them, you can not aggro them because they are not tagged. They will simply ignore you as they chase and later as they speed back to their original locations.

I've had it happen. But I knew what I did as soon as I did it.

OK, thanks for all the replies! I'll switch to a different companion (or disable any of her AoE attacks) in the future. A little weird that I hadn't run into this before, but I do tend to avoid companions with AoE attacks because they often mess things up by breaking my stuns...

I noticed something odd along these lines today when on the Czerka moon. I ran past another player fighting some bad guys and they all turned to red dots on me. Neither I nor my companion had attacked them, and as I said somebody was already fighting them. With me now tagged as in a fight with them my companion stuck around to join in, and I had to put him into the "passive/don't fight" mode (sorry, I forget what that is called), to tear him away from the fun.

Never had that happen quite like this before.

Edited by PLynkes

I noticed something odd along these lines today when on the Czerka moon. I ran past another player fighting some bad guys and they all turned to red dots on me. Neither I nor my companion had attacked them, and as I said somebody was already fighting them. With me now tagged as in a fight with them my companion stuck around to join in, and I had to put him into the "passive/don't fight" mode (sorry, I forget what that is called), to tear him away from the fun.

I believe it's possible that if one of the MOBs uses an AOE of its own and manages to catch you in it as you pass, doing damage to you will flag them to you and your companion.

The CZ-198 mobs are notorious for hitting bystanders with their AoEs. I see it happen to others all the time, as well as have it happen to me. That's why sometimes you'll see people wait while someone is fighting when there's no other way to safely get past (like the entrance hallways). The underwalkers on Makeb are also bad for this because they do that AoE ping pong ball move and I've been caught in that a couple of times while flying past other players fighting.

OP,

If someone makes a habit of trailing mobs over you and getting you killed, make sure to report that person as that is griefing.

If these are just isolated incidences then what you indicated in your prior post would hold true. Watch your surroundings and limit your AoE if a train is coming.