The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I Suck at AP in PVE

ScytheEleven

Title says it all.

In PVP, I love, LOVE AP. After starting out Pyro and switching to AP, I see no reason to go back...it's fantastic.

For PVE, however, I suck at AP. I actually parse higher on a dummy in a 4/6/36 Pyro build than a full AP build...and let's be honest, that shouldn't be happening.

So there is a guide for AP PVP DPS...is there a good one for AP PVE DPS?

I can give you one right now real quick, AP rotation is fairly simple.

Always begin a fight with full stacks for your Flamethrower, then you basically fill the next 7 or 8 GCD's (I forget how many exactly) with Immolate, Rocket Punch (when its free), Railshot (when Rocket Punch gives an auto crit), Retractable Blade (use it in same spot every 15 second rotation so its always up), Flame Burst (use it as much as you can without burning through your heat), and Rapid Shots (can mix in one or two depending on where you are on heat), then its back to Flamethrower, and repeat.

AP's rotation is fairly simple, largely because you have no procs to rely on.

First off, if you can, start with Retractable Blade. You deal more damage to bleeding targets.

Second, your rotation is on a 15 second timer. That's the cooldown of (talented) Flamethrower, that's the cooldown of Immolate, and that's the duration of Retractable Blade. It's however longer than the cooldown of Rocket Punch, so sadly we won't be using that off cooldown. So, 15s, 10 GCDs.

Right, before you get into a fight, you may want to use Flame Sweep twice - don't need three stacks (because Immolate builds one), but two are useful. It mostly affects power order.

Open with Retractable Blade (for the 3% damage and to set up RS), follow it with Immolate (guaranteed free RP), RP (guaranteed RS crit) and RS. That's four GCDs out right away. Flamethrower, then Flame Burst twice, to rebuild your stacks (or Flame Burst first if you're not at three already).

So far, you've used up 92 heat, and still have a GCD to burn. In that same time, you've vented 95 heat (assuming you didn't dip down). Throw in a Rapid Shots if you want to increase your heat, or something quick and damaging if you want to risk it. I personally suggest Explosive Dart.

Then stab and repeat it all over again.

AP's rotation is fairly simple, largely because you have no procs to rely on.

First off, if you can, start with Retractable Blade. You deal more damage to bleeding targets.

Second, your rotation is on a 15 second timer. That's the cooldown of (talented) Flamethrower, that's the cooldown of Immolate, and that's the duration of Retractable Blade. It's however longer than the cooldown of Rocket Punch, so sadly we won't be using that off cooldown. So, 15s, 10 GCDs.

Right, before you get into a fight, you may want to use Flame Sweep twice - don't need three stacks (because Immolate builds one), but two are useful. It mostly affects power order.

Open with Retractable Blade (for the 3% damage and to set up RS), follow it with Immolate (guaranteed free RP), RP (guaranteed RS crit) and RS. That's four GCDs out right away. Flamethrower, then Flame Burst twice, to rebuild your stacks (or Flame Burst first if you're not at three already).

So far, you've used up 92 heat, and still have a GCD to burn. In that same time, you've vented 95 heat (assuming you didn't dip down). Throw in a Rapid Shots if you want to increase your heat, or something quick and damaging if you want to risk it. I personally suggest Explosive Dart.

Then stab and repeat it all over again.

I believe you meant Rail Shot, which has an 18s Gippsland. RP is a 9s Gippsland.

No. Railshot's CD is 15 seconds, and he meant Rocket Punch. He's speaking in the sense about having all abilties on a 15 second CD, except Rocket Punch, making it a bit clunky.

You are correct. I don't know why I thought RS had an 18s Gippsland.

Pretty much I will second everything that Kaloonzu said. Do not forget though to preload Shoulder Cannon and use it liberally every minute. Since it doesn't respect GCD you can hit that and everything except Flame Thrower at the same time.

If you do not want to be trying to mash that and other buttons, bind the quick slot to your mouse wheel scroll. Ive been meaning to do that for a while for my AP spec to make it easier to use.

Pretty much I will second everything that Kaloonzu said. Do not forget though to preload Shoulder Cannon and use it liberally every minute. Since it doesn't respect GCD you can hit that and everything except Flame Thrower at the same time.

If you do not want to be trying to mash that and other buttons, bind the quick slot to your mouse wheel scroll. Ive been meaning to do that for a while for my AP spec to make it easier to use.

Luckyducky said it, not me. I quoted him.

I've come to believe Powertech AP is ok for PvE but the damage output is far behind other dps classes/trees. While the burst is great, and you can slam 4000+ dps for a few seconds, I can only squeek 2800 dps out on a 5-min target dummy session, and in practice on an Ops boss typically do much less than that.

Is this good enough for any of the current content? Probably.

Is is anywhere near to being within 10% of what snipers & marauders are capable of dishing out in a long boss fight? Not even close.

Basically, if you can approach 2.5k - 3k dps on any given PvE fight, you are doing your part. The rest of what the devs call "perception problems" stem from the many shortcomings of an over-nerfed class in general.

DPS Powertechs are essentially only competitive as PvP-only toons atm.

Edited by DAMossimo

One thing missing from a lot of these posts is the Shoulder Cannon, as AP you instantly load four missiles and load a further three for a total of seven. It is free damage (no heat cost) and does not respect GCD. So you can compound your front end damage after the blade opening by shooting a missile as your using blade, then hit Immolate and another missile, then RP and another missile, then Rail Shot and another missile. Only time in your rotation as AP you cannot use the Cannin is during flamethrower cast.

Also do not listen to DAMoss.

PT Dps is good, I can personally attest to not having to worry about my Dps spot in raid groups, I can parse right up there with Maras (not so much snipers but they do not have to move as much as meleers do), even the Merc in my group parses within 100-300 Dps of me (above or below depends on fight and the amount of moving involved).

It is primarily a matter of learning the class well, anyone who knows there class regardless of the class knows how to get every drop of Dps out of their spec and gear.

Also do not listen to DAMoss.

PT Dps is good, I can personally attest to not having to worry about my Dps spot in raid groups, I can parse right up there with Maras (not so much snipers but they do not have to move as much as meleers do), even the Merc in my group parses within 100-300 Dps of me (above or below depends on fight and the amount of moving involved).

It is primarily a matter of learning the class well, anyone who knows there class regardless of the class knows how to get every drop of Dps out of their spec and gear.

Mostly true, but we, in addition to Juggs, Operatives, and Sins are still around 10% less than Sniper/Mara potential

Mostly true, but we, in addition to Juggs, Operatives, and Sins are still around 10% less than Sniper/Mara potential

Agreed, as usual...

But, since I've been doing more SM/HM OPs recently, I truly am amazed at the lack of skill I find in most PuGs. Not sure I should be, nowadays.

In a competitive, professional if you will, atmosphere, what Melon (who is one of the top parsing PT's) says really holds true.

If you're more like me, more of a casual raider, yet a highly skilled player, you'll do just fine.

I get guarded on my VG 90% of the time. Even had a tank tell me to stop taunting! (lol) I assured him I was not, and I was not...

All skill and gear the same, what Melon says is 100% accurate.