Dye modules not working in Companion conversation cutscenes for Companions.

LtGeneralGezlin

The dye modules don't seem to be working for companions in their conversation cutscenes. I've got a dye module added to armor Jorgan is wearing, and instead of being Dark and medium green in the conversation, the armor is it's normal color. I've added the information below, and I'll add a video to this post tomorrow.

Armor: Esseles Trooper's Body Armor

Dye: Dark Green and Medium Green Dye module

Edited by LtGeneralGezlin

Yup, this bug ruined the end of story screenshots for my Commando.

I have the whole of Havoc Squad dressed in the Section Guardian gear, with chest pieces dyed Orange/White and the other pieces set to match.

In all the cutscenes where your inactive companions are shown the dye is ignored and the gear is shown in its original colour.

I've just started re-recording the Trooper Story, and thankfully, I've only seen this problem during the companion cutscenes. The rest of the time, The Dyes are working. However, I did see it a lot while doing the Warrior story, but I think all the cutscenes on the Warrior's ship are bugged as heck.

I've just started re-recording the Trooper Story, and thankfully, I've only seen this problem during the companion cutscenes. The rest of the time, The Dyes are working. However, I did see it a lot while doing the Warrior story, but I think all the cutscenes on the Warrior's ship are bugged as heck.

If the companion in the cut-scene is your active companion it seems to work. However, when you have a cut-scene with inactive companions like on your ship, or at particular moments in your story where you see multiple companions, then the dye is ignored.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
This bug that affects all companion customization is still in-game. Are there any plans to fix it?

Apologies for otherwise resurrecting this thread.

Yeah, seriously, it's been almost a year since Dye mods were introduced, and this is still happening.

There are four different threads about this, counting this one, and not a single Gold Post... Oh, please, RNG gods, answer our prayers!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would apologize for necroing this but I'm not actually sorry.

The fact that in companion-quest cutscenes, or anytime on my ship, the fact that my color-unified companions revert to rainbow-hodge-podge is the single most frustrating thing to me about this game. I had assumed until today that it was merely my computer messing up, but when I researched the forums today and saw that this has been a continuously reported issue since late 2012, I was deeply disappointed. So I thought I would do my part to give this issue a bump, and recognize it again.

I recognize that it isn't technically a game-breaking bug. I am aware of the fact that I am not active in PVP or Endgame, and I respect that many players play specifically for that, and find the issues there of much greater importance.

However, this is a bug that affects every single player, and in the very aspect of the game which makes it unique. Not every player PVPs. Not every player gets to Endgame. But every player, even those who 12x and skip all of the planetary and side quests, goes through the class story. The depth of those stories, the cinematics, the voice-acting, the intricate companion storylines, are what make this game an absolute standout.

I like to take my time with the game. I have a Juggernaut and a Sorc so far, and for both of them I debated long and hard about who my character is, their background, what they value, and how they react to situations they're confronted with. I walk in the Citadel, because my Sith doesn't want to look hurried; she'd prefer to be dignified. When I make choices in conversations, based on who my character is, the result of those choices plays into my own perception and understanding of the character. It is because of the strength of the voice-acting and cinematics in this game that I am able to play an ever-deeper developing character, and because of that character development that the cutscenes are so enjoyable.

Which is why when companions show up in rainbow gear instead of a color coordinated outfit it just crushes me. Lag I can write off -- my computer, or the connection sucks. Lack of class balance I can write off -- my character hasn't been working out enough, or just is not as good as an opponent. But whenever Vette, nicely uniformed, tells my Sith she wants to have a serious conversation, I go back to the ship and out she comes, looking like she raided her closet for the most random items she can find.

I look for the conversation option "Go back to your room, and try again" or "You think freedom means you get to wear what you want? Think again. (Chokes or shocks her)." But it's never there.

I feel for all the trooper players. I feel like if I played one, my trooper would be looking for a quest where he can write his whole squad up for repeated failure to observe uniform regulations.

As much as I love dressing my companions to complement me, it almost makes me wish there were all like Khem Val: He never looks wrong in cut scenes. It never bums me out with him.

In one of the eight or so threads I saw in which this issue was noted, someone recommended submitting a bug report any time their companions showed up in a cutscene without the dyes or color-unify applying. Every time. And I pledge to begin to do that. I play the game at a slow enough pace. And besides this single issue, I love the game. Earnestly. The issue deserves at least that much attention from me.

TLDR: Companions appearance customizations (color-unification and dyes) still won't display in companion-quest cutscenes or on-ship cutscenes. It has been an reported issue since late 2012, with no remedial action taken. It is the single thing that earnestly bothers me about the game; crushes me every time I see it. Thought I would bring it to light again.

I would apologize for necroing this but I'm not actually sorry.

The fact that in companion-quest cutscenes, or anytime on my ship, the fact that my color-unified companions revert to rainbow-hodge-podge is the single most frustrating thing to me about this game. I had assumed until today that it was merely my computer messing up, but when I researched the forums today and saw that this has been a continuously reported issue since late 2012, I was deeply disappointed. So I thought I would do my part to give this issue a bump, and recognize it again.

I recognize that it isn't technically a game-breaking bug. I am aware of the fact that I am not active in PVP or Endgame, and I respect that many players play specifically for that, and find the issues there of much greater importance.

However, this is a bug that affects every single player, and in the very aspect of the game which makes it unique. Not every player PVPs. Not every player gets to Endgame. But every player, even those who 12x and skip all of the planetary and side quests, goes through the class story. The depth of those stories, the cinematics, the voice-acting, the intricate companion storylines, are what make this game an absolute standout.

I like to take my time with the game. I have a Juggernaut and a Sorc so far, and for both of them I debated long and hard about who my character is, their background, what they value, and how they react to situations they're confronted with. I walk in the Citadel, because my Sith doesn't want to look hurried; she'd prefer to be dignified. When I make choices in conversations, based on who my character is, the result of those choices plays into my own perception and understanding of the character. It is because of the strength of the voice-acting and cinematics in this game that I am able to play an ever-deeper developing character, and because of that character development that the cutscenes are so enjoyable.

Which is why when companions show up in rainbow gear instead of a color coordinated outfit it just crushes me. Lag I can write off -- my computer, or the connection sucks. Lack of class balance I can write off -- my character hasn't been working out enough, or just is not as good as an opponent. But whenever Vette, nicely uniformed, tells my Sith she wants to have a serious conversation, I go back to the ship and out she comes, looking like she raided her closet for the most random items she can find.

I look for the conversation option "Go back to your room, and try again" or "You think freedom means you get to wear what you want? Think again. (Chokes or shocks her)." But it's never there.

I feel for all the trooper players. I feel like if I played one, my trooper would be looking for a quest where he can write his whole squad up for repeated failure to observe uniform regulations.

As much as I love dressing my companions to complement me, it almost makes me wish there were all like Khem Val: He never looks wrong in cut scenes. It never bums me out with him.

In one of the eight or so threads I saw in which this issue was noted, someone recommended submitting a bug report any time their companions showed up in a cutscene without the dyes or color-unify applying. Every time. And I pledge to begin to do that. I play the game at a slow enough pace. And besides this single issue, I love the game. Earnestly. The issue deserves at least that much attention from me.

TLDR: Companions appearance customizations (color-unification and dyes) still won't display in companion-quest cutscenes or on-ship cutscenes. It has been an reported issue since late 2012, with no remedial action taken. It is the single thing that earnestly bothers me about the game; crushes me every time I see it. Thought I would bring it to light again.

As the OP, I completely support necro-ing this! The reason I have not finished recording the Trooper Class story with my color coded companions is this stupid bug, That REALLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIXED LONG AGO! I understand there are other things that need to be worked on, but... come on....

• 2 weeks later...

So we're now about 2 years after the release of dye mods, and the immersion-shattering obscenity of a malfunction is still in every single companion cutscene even though the developers were alerted to its presence right away (and consistently since).

Anybody can slap in a dye mod, but the Hide Head slot is literally something you as the customer HAVE to pay for either in cartel coins or with a subscription. This is a classic example of how much Bioware, LucasArts and EA could literally not give less of a crap about their paying customers.

This is the exact same staff of geniuses who sit around and wonder why their servers have completely emptied out and who can't figure out why new players to the game are immediately repelled by the shameless clawing for money that every single menu in the game presents.

Long story short... this issue will NEVER be fixed, we can count on that. If you're still paying your monthly subscription, please understand that just about none of it goes to actually making the game better.

• 3 weeks later...
It would be REALLY nice if you'd get around to fixing this sometime before 3015. :(

AND

Fix the companions helmet showing up during certain ship scenes even though you have their helm hidden. ;)

Agreed! I've had to push back recording my Commando so much, I will be graduating College by the time I get to her, hopefully this bug can be fixed by then! Haha

Seriously, How is it that dye mods can work for main characters, but not companions?

Agreed! I've had to push back recording my Commando so much, I will be graduating College by the time I get to her, hopefully this bug can be fixed by then! Haha

Seriously, How is it that dye mods can work for main characters, but not companions?

Gearing slots work differently for the companions than for your character. The devs said as much when people was asking for the new outfit designer being used for companions they basically said that it works on a completely different system and that it was not simple to just add it to companions, but they would look at it but not to expect it in any immediate release.

Gearing slots work differently for the companions than for your character. The devs said as much when people was asking for the new outfit designer being used for companions they basically said that it works on a completely different system and that it was not simple to just add it to companions, but they would look at it but not to expect it in any immediate release.

The OD is a much more complex system then Dyes so I could understand that being hard to do but the Dye system works just fine in the normal game world and during game world scenes it's only the ones on ship that have issues and it's the same with the helmet issue it only happens on ship.

The OD is a much more complex system then Dyes so I could understand that being hard to do but the Dye system works just fine in the normal game world and during game world scenes it's only the ones on ship that have issues and it's the same with the helmet issue it only happens on ship.

Agreed. And it's not just the ships where dyes on Companions are broken, it's ANY time you talk to them. Although, the dyes do seem to work in story cutscenes. Hmmm.... At least they seem to work there.

It is completely ridiculous how long this bug has existed. All this Adaptive gear, all these dye modules, and still this immersion-breaking bug makes using any of it on a companion utterly pointless.

We don't care how difficult it would be to fix, we don't care if you have to re-write half the game code to fix it. Just based on it's age alone, it should be given top priority. Just get it done.

It is completely ridiculous how long this bug has existed. All this Adaptive gear, all these dye modules, and still this immersion-breaking bug makes using any of it on a companion utterly pointless.

We don't care how difficult it would be to fix, we don't care if you have to re-write half the game code to fix it. Just based on it's age alone, it should be given top priority. Just get it done.

Agreed! This and the No Imperial Romances being acknowledged in the SOR opening need to be fixed. Time to keep pestering!

While its true that the OD is a more complex system, the fact still remains that the game treats companion gear in a completely different way to your own, no doubt that is why it has still yet to be fixed they don't know how without either re-writing half the code or risk breaking something else. Either way it is probably not a simple task and if you took coders off working on new stuff to fix this people would be complaining about a lack of updates (people are already finished with Ziost).

I think the best we can hope for is that they do take a look at implementing OD with companions as this may well be "fixed" along with the recoding needed for OD.

Drives me nuts too.

So much so that my comps run around without helmets on half the time - I prefer that to having a cutscene and be horrified by the ugly mug wich just reminded me this all is but a bunch of pixels and code, and not a galaxy far far away, a long time ago...

Edited by BenduKundalini

• 1 month later...