Little_Judas

Hello,

Scientific intro:

E = (h * c) / λ

• E --> Energy
  • h --> Planck's Constant
  • c --> Speed of light
  • λ --> Wavelength

h and c are to be seen as constant, so only λ will determine E.

The higher λ, the lower E.

In the visible spectrum, red has the highest wavelength and purple the lowest.

Which means a purple lightsaber has more energy than a red one.

Common lightsabercolours from highest to lowest energy:

• Purple
  • Blue
  • Green
  • Yellow
  • Orange
  • Red

Assumptions:

This is perhaps why they give regularly give a blue saber to the more combat orientated knight

and a green one to the force orientated counsular.

Or why Mace Windu, one of the greatest jedi swordsmen of his time, wore a purple one.

Why the Sith would use a red one, is probably because the dark side clouded there judgement.

Discuss.

While they did relate a lightsabers colour to the nature of the weilder for a while, they no longer do this.

The colour of the lightsaber is purely cosmetic, and no class is more atuned to any specific colour than any other, true Sith generally have red lightsabers, but this is due to impurities in the manufacture of the crystals, rather than any deep seated philosophy.

However it should be noted that Rainbow lightsaber crystals are living silicon creatures, and I feel it's safe to say that incorporating them into a lightsaber is an evil act, so it's a shame that Jedi (not Sith) do this.

It's been a long time since i was looking up these things but i remember something about synthetic crystals(which means usually red) being more powerful than natural crystals(usually green and blue) . The synthetic ones are sometimes able to short circuit the natural one. Edited by Kaedusz

Assumptions:

(...)

Why the Sith would use a red one, is probably because the dark side clouded there judgement.

Discuss.

Interesting topic. I cannot comment on the formula, but it sounds reasonable to me. Plus the above quoted assumption of course is very correct. :D

Hello,

Scientific intro:

E = (h * c) / λ

• E --> Energy
  • h --> Planck's Constant
  • c --> Speed of light
  • λ --> Wavelength

h and c are to be seen as constant, so only λ will determine E.

The higher λ, the lower E.

In the visible spectrum, red has the highest wavelength and purple the lowest.

Which means a purple lightsaber has more energy than a red one.

Common lightsabercolours from highest to lowest energy:

• Purple
  • Blue
  • Green
  • Yellow
  • Orange
  • Red

Assumptions:

This is perhaps why they give regularly give a blue saber to the more combat orientated knight

Or why Mace Windu, one of the greatest jedi swordsmen of his time, wore a purple one.

Discuss.

I'm EE not Physics but I'm curious as to why you're using the equation for energy of a photon for this discussion? To me it seems like comparing the light particles the saber is giving off is not important in regards to power of the saber but wanna hear your thought process.

I'm surprised how many people take the OP serious. I sure don't.

It's still an interesting topic.Even if the OP is maybe a curious kind of a troll that wants to goat the SW nerds here to start participating.

Edited by Kaedusz

I'm EE not Physics but I'm curious as to why you're using the equation for energy of a photon for this discussion? To me it seems like comparing the light particles the saber is giving off is not important in regards to power of the saber but wanna hear your thought process.

I saw the blade as light and then looked at the colour, nothing more.

After reading up on lightsabers some more, I found out the blade consist of plasma

And I know as good as nothing about plasma.

It's still an interesting topic.Even if the OP is maybe a curious kind of a troll that wants to goat the SW nerds here to start participating.

Ok, my assumption about Sith using red was (according to google translate) "a dig at" the Sith-fans on this forum.

But my intentions to create this was never to troll, but rather to unravel the science behind it.

Of course I can assume many things but I can't place "The Force", living nor unifying, in equations.

Assumptions:

Correction:

Blue and red were to be the original colors. Green came about because they found that a blue saber set against a blue sky didn't show up well. This is why Luke's second saber was green, since it's first appearance was before blue sky on Tatooine.

Mace got a purple blade because Sam Jackson's favorite color is purple and it was written into his contract that his saber was to be purple.

Sith use of red crystals was a retcon. Red was just a bad guy color. To rationalize why, they came up with the idea that the lack of natural crystals forced Sith to construct them using artificial means. This process only produced red crystals.