Galactic Starfighters... with a cockpit view?

LadyKulvax

I certainly hope they consider adding a cockpit view and joystick ability in the near future...and I mean NEAR future. I feel it is pretty important...especially the joystick ability.

IF it has Cockpit view and Joystick controls ... I WILL be returning to SWTOR to make this my fulltime mmo ... period

and more than likely not even set foot on the ground again heh

if it does not have cockpit view AND joystick controls then its is just MEH and i will prolly not play even though some will like it

Edited by Dakota_Faith

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAWN...I am not impressed so far...3rd Person view only and/or no Cockpit view...an absolut NO-GO.

JTL degrees of freedom, economy, hardware support (Joysticks, force Feedback, TrackIR, etc.) was absolute outstanding.

That set my personal benchmark for a space sim or in this case a space expansion.

If Galactic Starfighters goes in that direction, ok cool...if not, I will definately unsub and Play-For-Free until...STAR CITIZEN :cool:

Best thing I had in SWG JTL was my mining ship, turned the back into a fully decorated windowed cantina complete with the cantina band music. so guests on my ship could just take a break from turreting stuff and watch the battle in comfort

We will never see anything like that again

IF it has Cockpit view and Joystick controls ... I WILL be returning to SWTOR to make this my fulltime mmo ... period

and more than likely not even set foot on the ground again heh

if it does not have cockpit view AND joystick controls then its is just MEH and i will prolly not play even though some will like it

Im sure this makes bioware devs absolutely want to cater for you. I mean, I already want to play with you just by reading this post.

I set SWTOR up in the Logitech profiler just for the hell of it and can play the game (albeit problematically) with a gamepad. Simply created a TOR profile and mapped the controller inputs to the game's key bindings. The problem came from there not being enough buttons on the gamepad to make it feasible. But what I did map worked ok.

Curious if I'll be able to map my Saitek yolk & pedal system to the GS keybinds. (I play FSX, CFS3 or IL-2 online with family & friends once a week.) If it works and there aren't significantly more key bindings than there are controller inputs, then having a cockpit view would be absolute butter.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Got to love mods only go after certain peoples posts. " I want to play with you" You people need to stop.

Anyways back on topic as far as it hindering you in pvp not so much. When I started using cockpit view all the time in swg, it wasn't long before I could anticipate allot of things, I could also tell what was going on just by sounds, and lastly I used my hud a whole lot more. All those things combined made me a better swg JTL pilot. Any fool can get out of the way of blaster fire when you have a complete view of his craft, that is hardly a challenge, now doing this inside a cockpit now that's a challenge.

If they make it with joystick support, that's cool. Personally, I prefer keyboard and mouse. If they have both though + cockpit view, this could potentially bring in incremental subs/users.

This is my thinking, the closer and closer you get to a proper X-Wing vs TIE Fighter style space combat sim, the more and more fans of Star Wars in general are going to want to try it out.

• 4 weeks later...
YAWN...I am not impressed so far...3rd Person view only and/or no Cockpit view...an absolut NO-GO.

JTL degrees of freedom, economy, hardware support (Joysticks, force Feedback, TrackIR, etc.) was absolute outstanding.

That set my personal benchmark for a space sim or in this case a space expansion.

If Galactic Starfighters goes in that direction, ok cool...if not, I will definately unsub and Play-For-Free until...STAR CITIZEN :cool:

:eek:...quoting myself

"Experience the thrill of STAR WARS dogfighting in space - watch the latest video!"

I DID, thank you...thank you...thank you,

I am so excited, can't wait..can't wait...can't wait......................................to unsub end of december 2013!

It was a sacrileg to fiscally support the SWG-Killer (not gameplay wise!) anyway, but hey...i tried hard to like SWTOR...i can't, i really can't! :rolleyes:

"Experience the thrill of STAR WARS dogfighting in space - watch the latest video!"

I am so excited, can't wait..can't wait...can't wait......................................to unsub end of december 2013!

It was a sacrileg to fiscally support the SWG-Killer (not gameplay wise!) anyway, but hey...i tried hard to like SWTOR...i can't, i really can't! :rolleyes:

Okay, that's cool. Later and have fun in SC!

Have fun in SWG!

In the 90s, LucasArts flight sims HAD mass appeal !

In the magazine called "Retro Gaming" I think it was when one of the original designers of the LucasArts X-Wing etc. games said that flight sims are nowadays not well received, because they are too complex.

Players indeed would have to keep track of so many things at the same time - thanksto dumbing down during the last 10 years, "modern" players can't play anything else but mass hack & slay Action-RPGs and shopoters nowadays anymore.

Have you ever played "TIE Fighter" ? Now THAT was complex ! Or the X-Wing games - trying to fly an B-Wing ! Having to *quickly* manage both shields & weapons power !

"Modern" gamers just can't do this. The "gaming industry" has effectiovely trained them into playing - in comparison to the 90s - simple games. Blizzard introduced this mass hack & slay. And, one of the earlier Ultima games was condemned with the infamous "unplayable" label by students !

No, complex games indeed would not have mass appeal - because the "modern gamers" has been trained into playing "dumbed own" non-complex games.

You have no less appeal for complex/difficult games now than you did then- in fact, there's probably more people who play them. The main difference now is that far more people play games period. This isn't a case of people who were already gamers getting stupider- this is a case of people who had no interest in the grind/complexity of games, mixed with difficulty that more often than not was due to poor controls and guidance, now being enticed by games that are easy to pick up and put down. When you tap into a new market- you can either appeal to that market, like Diablo, CoD, SWTOR- or you can try to fight it, like.... that game someone played or something.

Percentage wise- yes, the atmosphere has widely changed to something that is fast paced and requires little thinking, and always shoves entertainment into your face, but that's because the new audience demands that. The old audience is still there, it just hasn't grown, and games cost far more to make- the math is pretty simple.

Look at you- you're playing SWTOR, which is about as simplistic as MMOs get. People like you can say you want that complexity as much as you want- but you're playing this game, not those for a reason- whether you can admit it or not is up to you, but you're as much part of the 'dumbed down' gamer population as anyone else.

The theme seems to be common across the net....allow joystick control (if not, at least someone post instructions on how to keybind to joystick) and a simple cockpit view perhaps.

Joystick control IS possible with some mapping, it is not native support though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.