The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Galactic starfighter expansion

GrimmjowLover

Who else is REALLY REALLY REALLY excited for the new space expansion?!?!?!??!

Cause i am :D

I saw the video and totally lost all my marbles, it all looks so very cool and the best part that its FREE.

So i wont have to spend any money on it! Apart from the occasional cartel purchase!

IM SO EXCITED OHHH EEEMMMMM EEFFFFFF GEEEEEEEEEEE.

I think the fighting show in the video was REALLY FREAKING COOL.

ESPECIALLY the end part of the video where the ship pulled behind the enemy and shot a big missile at him :3

Leave your thoughts below!

:rak_03::ph_thank_you::rak_cool:and May the force be with you!!! :D

I was excited - briefly - until I realised that this was another way for bioware to indulge in lazy coding, subpar story development and generally craptastic expansions, all the while leaving unanswered many key questions from their players.

But it's not only about the fact that new PVP-content is coming up. I'm exited about the fact that a completely new kind of battle will be included to the game. Maybe this will open the door for a new kind of PVE-content sooner or later also? Who knows ...

I've been here in that forum since release of the game and I can't agree with you in that fact. Many players were asking exactly for that the last two years, "PVP in Space", Starship vs. Starship and so on ...

Maybe it's not your favour, Im not shure if this will be mine, but there's no chance to say that BW/EA have not listen to players that time ...

In fact, I have been on the forums since the beta, and Bioware was keeping saying -> There will be no space content.

They finally bent a bit our way, but doing the wrong thing -> The 'tunnel' shooter.

When they showed that, the player base kept telling them it was not what they wanted.

So, yes now they go in the 'right way', if we want to "extend the right way" definition, by adding something like pvp in space. But it's definitively NOT what was asked.

What was asked was some space to explore, some space to fight PVE content with friends. And in THOSE area, adding some PVP area. Like on Tatooine for the ground pvp area (in PVE servers), or any other pvp open area in the game.

Instead of doing that, they make a "pvp area with 12vs12 players", and that's not some "interesting space content". As star wars is far from "all space battle only". In Star Wars some people LIVE in space, and barely see the ground from time to time. Where is THAT experience in SWTOR ?

WOW Debbie Downer! Why does everyone need to have a complete, fleshed out, final product? Can't you see that for once they did it RIGHT. You are so caught up in your own anger you can't even see the possibilities. This is being delivered exactly as it should: a wire frame.

Why is that the way it should be? Imagine they delivered a complete fleshed out space shooter that had everything it ever was going to be. Guess what? They did that! It's our current on-the-rails space shooter. It is so bad that BioWare pretty much has to bribe people to play it. So you want that to happen AGAIN?!

Relax, sit back, and enjoy the possibilities. All that you said CAN HAPPEN! It's just the basics right now. Just a start. I used this example before, think of "Galactic Starfighter" as a car frame. Simple, solid, well built car frame. Right now you are raging because it doesn't have an engine, wheels, seats, etc. Well guess what? We can add that! We, as a community, can offer ideas and contribute to flesh out this beginning. It will happen. In no time we will be driving around in the car WE build together.

Relax, have a cold one, and start coming up with ideas and post them in the suggestions.

All what I can say could happen, just 2 to 3 years too late. Sadly enough, much too late for me to be 'patient' anymore. I gave them 2 years, and I was following them since the Beta. They really **** ** their launch, forced by EA to deliver us some unfinished game. And in that unfinished game you still have some bugs that last even 2 years+ after the game is out, and I'm not speaking about the bugs that are in the "new" content. But bugs that can prervent a player from advancing his class, because the CLASS missions have MAJOR bugs.

That's one of the thing that really get me angry at MMO in general. But here in SWTOR, what I see, is the huge amount of problem that we have with their services, with the Communication with players, and all the rest.

And sorry, hard to relax when you had to get over 60 hours of phone calling with their Service to correct a problem that THEY provoked, preventing people from playing on their PAID account. (Happened to me). Without any reimbursement from their part. So yes, I am pretty critical when it come to the "quality" of the things they get out. I guess I'm at least entitled to THAT much, having being one of those paying customer who gave them time, and trying to 'let pass' the early bugs, only to see our bug report being ignored, the Rules of Conduct never enforced, and all.

Sorry if I'm not excited by something they should have done before releasing the game, and before destroying it with their F2P conversion.

Edited by StavinskyElyas

...But bugs that can prervent a player from advancing his class, because the CLASS missions have MAJOR bugs.
I have done every class twice (once per advanced class) and I have not encountered what you say. I have not had any problems from the time beta ended until today with completing each Class Story, TWICE.

That's one of the thing that really get me angry at MMO in general. But here in SWTOR, what I see, is the huge amount of problem that we have with their services, with the Communication with players, and all the rest.
Being new to an MMO does that, but trust me after 15 yrs, it happens in ALL MMOs.

And sorry, hard to relax when you had to get over 60 hours of phone calling with their Service to correct a problem that THEY provoked, preventing people from playing on their PAID account. (Happened to me). Without any reimbursement from their part. So yes, I am pretty critical when it come to the "quality" of the things they get out. I guess I'm at least entitled to THAT much, having being one of those paying customer who gave them time, and trying to 'let pass' the early bugs, only to see our bug report being ignored, the Rules of Conduct never enforced, and all.

Sorry that happened, but it's not everyone. You've had some bad times, I see that, but to paint with such broad strokes is really not constructive. You deal in too many absolutes and not enough evidence other than "It' happened to me!" Well all that you say hasn't happened to me. I have, first hand, seen Rules of Conduct enforced. So to counter you, "I've seen it. It happened to me."

Sorry if I'm not excited by something they should have done before releasing the game, and before destroying it with their F2P conversion.

Ahh... the truth comes out. You are a F2P hatter. Well, ESO is coming soon. And having played the beta, I can tell you get in while the getting is good. It WILL go F2P after a time, just as WoW is next year.

Edited by Thylbanus

• 2 weeks later...
Nice, once again not listening to players. Like they did since the Beta.

Players asked them to have something that was a bit like the space part in Starwars Galaxy, with PVE area where you can fly with friends, bash PVE spaceship with friends, fly in the same ship as FRIENDS (manning their turrets), and have some fun "asteroid mining or others MULTIPLAYERs actions".

And there again they disregard their player base, and pick the same awful looking 'on the rail tube shooter' out of the rail, and put it in a 12vs12 pvp area.

Nice Bioware and Electronics Arts, keep the bad work, keep NOT listening to your community, that is getting smaller and smaller. And perhaps you will finally have to learn from your mistakes.

As the SWTOR adventure has been a long, continuing, series of mistakes. Lots of communications errors, lots of disregard for the community. The same is true about the supposed Free to Play option, as it is among the worst transition to a F2P model I have even seen since over 10+ years playing MMO. And now even the space fight is following the same "we do what we want, even if the community don't want it" kind of developpement.

From over 300 servers at the start, the game is down to some ridiculous numbers, that even keep emptying.

Thanks again EA to have ruined another of the licence I was enjoying. No more money from my pocket.

Couldn't agree more with everything you posted. I bowed out yesterday. I gave it 2 years and can say im not impressed with anything they've implemented into the game.

If this new patch, *cough*, 'cuse me expansion had pve and pvp elements, I'd probably care more. Perhaps I'm not reading the right forums or blogs, but I haven't really seen a huge demand for space pvp?

Of course, when the heads of Bioware quit, the SWTOR head gets fired and EA cuts staff, you can't really expect a lot of quality content. You can tell they are just trying to get their money back on this huge investment with how much time they spend on making cartel packs & advertising How Awesome the New Packs Are! :rolleyes:

I gave up shortly after the F2P conversion and came back little over a month ago. I can't say I'm much impressed. The time card let me get subscriber benefits, including RotHC. However, when I finished Makeb's storyline in one sitting shows just how little effort they are putting into things now. When my card runs out I'll head out again, give them another year and see if they can get anything right... or just keep releasing more cartel packs I'm not going to buy.

Nice, once again not listening to players. Like they did since the Beta.

Players asked them to have something that was a bit like the space part in Starwars Galaxy, with PVE area where you can fly with friends, bash PVE spaceship with friends, fly in the same ship as FRIENDS (manning their turrets), and have some fun "asteroid mining or others MULTIPLAYERs actions".

And there again they disregard their player base, and pick the same awful looking 'on the rail tube shooter' out of the rail, and put it in a 12vs12 pvp area.

Nice Bioware and Electronics Arts, keep the bad work, keep NOT listening to your community, that is getting smaller and smaller. And perhaps you will finally have to learn from your mistakes.

Actually, having been one of those eople yelling about the tunnel shooter in Beta, I look at this patch and think 'Finally!'. I wpuld prefer to see them putting in PvE along these lines, but I understand why they are starting with PvP. For a start, they don't need to worry about all of the AI required to run an object in a 3d environment since each ship on the map will be piloted by a player.

As a start, this is heading in the right direction. Don't knock it because it isn't everything you ever dreamed about. Hopefully we'll get there one day.

I hope this will pave the way towards Guild Capital Ships and perhaps being able to queue for PvP Space Combat from there with a ship launching sequence.

That would be sweet!

But then again, if they're going to do that, they should allow fuzzy dice and naming your ship just like with your character. Then for each kill, there will be hash marks under the canopy.

Heh, so many people just don't get it how hard it is to code a completely new gameplay mode and stuff it within an existing engine that hasn't been built for it in the first place.

When I saw the first news about this, it was immediately clear (and some will not like this, I know) what this is: a test platform for future changes. There simply is no better way to stress test your engine than letting players duke it out in PvP.

That said, if things go well, I am pretty positive we'll be seeing more space content. It's an obvious direction to expand into.

Heh, so many people just don't get it how hard it is to code a completely new gameplay mode and stuff it within an existing engine that hasn't been built for it in the first place.

When I saw the first news about this, it was immediately clear (and some will not like this, I know) what this is: a test platform for future changes. There simply is no better way to stress test your engine than letting players duke it out in PvP.

That said, if things go well, I am pretty positive we'll be seeing more space content. It's an obvious direction to expand into.

If this is a test, it's a poor one. Simple fact is not everyone enjoys pvp. Some may just do 1-2 warzones a day just to complete the daily mission. I know I stopped warzoning when I hit the cap as with no xp gain I had no interest. So if they are doing this as a test for future pve space combat, they are limiting themselves to a small sampling of people who aren't the ones that would be doing pve space combat.

I'm really excited too. I hope they release more specific details about how the combat will be played. ie. is it combat on rails like the current space missions or will it be truly twitch-based? It's hard to tell in the video. I really hope it's twitch-based! I also hope you don't win by having the best items which is how SWG: Jump to Lightspeed kind of died off. Customising your ship looks sweet though.

More info would be good Bioware, but you've got me excited!

the way it showed the ships move didn't look like it was on rails. Besides, how do you do space PvP on rails? Wouldn't it be soo awesome if it was just like battlefront II space battles with CTF and assult (going into the enemy's ship to sabatoge it plus fighter battles)

Actually, SWTOR is built on the Hero game engine. On the Hero game engine website, there is a short video showing how well the engine handles 3D space combat.