The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars Eras

khayyinx

Have liked em all so far. But mainly have been involved with the GCW timeline and back, though I have delved into the NR era in research...and of course reading Crimson Empire. Which is BOSS, don't care what you have to say about the post-ROTJ era folks....Crimson Empire is AWESOME! Edited by Wolfninjajedi

My opinion of the Old Republic era has fallen drastically over time, but this is mainly because of the quality of novels in the Rise of the Empire and post-ROTJ eras. So I would have to say that the latter two are my favorite eras at this time.

My favorite are the distant past and distant future eras, Old Republic and Legacy. I like how they have large numbers of Jedi and Sith running around, but what mainly I just enjoy that there is a lot more freedom in the storytelling to take risks with characters (and a lot more uncertainty for the reader as to who's going to make it out alive). Stories like the Darth Bane Trilogy of novels and the Legacy comic series really let their authors tell new and interesting stories without having to worry as much about tripping over canon or upsetting the status quo too much. You always know from the start that Luke Skywalker's going to make it through a book he's in ok, you don't necessarily know what's going to happen to Ulic Qel-Droma or Zayne Carrick the first time you read through their stories.

I do like the New Jedi Order era as well, just not as much as Old Republic or Legacy. For all the hate the Vong get, I liked how they shook things up. I also enjoyed seeing how the post-Palaptine Empire has evolved over the course of the stories set in that era and into Legacy.

The New Republic era had a few really good stories like Heir to the Empire, but too much of it seemed rinse-and-repeat overall. Young Jedi Knights was a series in this era that I enjoyed as well, although I fully admit that's probably more due to a nostalgia filter than the quality of the books themselves.

Never really got around to reading much of the Prequel era stuff out there.

Pretty much anything that isn't the GCW era but from what i read and know of the time periods it would have to be the old republic time period tho from what i have read of the Legacy books that time period is pretty interesting only on the 4th book tho I haven't read or really know anything from after return of the jedi to the start of the legacy books

Everything up untill Bane-included ,i like .So basically up untill the Ruusan Reformation.This is Star Wars for me.

I kinda don't care or in other words am apathetic about the movies and most of the things related to them + i am repulsed by post ep 6 EU.But i have learned them,just because they are Star Wars.

Without kotor 1/2 ,swtor and Bioware,Star Wars would be a nerdy and boring crap to me,not worthy of attention.

(kotor 2 was my first close proximity to SW and the one that made me a fan)

Edited by Kaedusz

New Republic Era: Timothy Zahn seems to have inspired some awesome stuff here, and we can never forget the man himself. Zahn forever! Plus, you gotta love the Vong and the Hapans.

Old Republic: 'Cause they just seem to be well written

Anything with Han Solo. Even if the book is crap, Han Solo usually is the character that is well written.

Which Star Wars era do you prefer and why?

I really like the old republic era because of all the sith and jedi. prequels era are nice too, as is original trilogy, but i hate new republic era...

I aggree the only one I disaggree on is the new republic era. I don't fan it for the most part but i do enjoy the legacy era. Darth Krayt and his one sith mark the official end of the rule of two. karayt restored the sith to their former glory. one sith means rule of one. one as in one ring (one sith to rule them all. the rule of two only allowed 2 sith to exist (master and apprentice).

My favorite era has to be the OT. There is no story or lore reasoning. I just have SO many childhood memories:

- going to see the movies and reading the novelizations

- getting and playing with the Kenner action figures and playsets (every afternoon it was a choice: Star Wars or Legos :)). We got our first figures (R2-D2 and C-3P0) just before getting on board the plane to go visit my grandparents (the Easter after the Christmas when Kenner was not ready to release the toys so they marketed "pre-ordering").

- The first Halloween after Star Wars came out (in 1976) my brother and I were Luke and Obi-wan respectively.

- We made "lightsabers" out of giant Tinker Toys.

Plain and simple I was the target audience and I LOVED everything Star Wars from that point on. And even decades later, I watch the OT every couple of months.

Then when the EU started with Heir to the Empire, I could not get enough. I eagerly anticipated every new book and ran to the store to buy them the day of their release. While some stories were better than others, I did not feel that any were truly horrible (as some make them out to be today). But maybe I was biased by the fact that I was SO into them. So, the New Republic Era has to be my second favorite.