Combat Medic leveling viable?

akatai

Hey all,

I'm wanting to play combat medic but don't want to gimp my leveling as I will mainly be questing. If this spec viable for leveling with a good companion? If I choose to level gunnery is there a respec feature that will be viable to heal the occasion flashpoint with my guildies? Just curious as to what to expect, any advice or info would be great. Thanks in advance.

No, Presence no longer affects healing like it once did.

And, honestly, you'll be spend most of your time in the field dpsing even if you go Combat Medic. You'll need your heals at points, yes, and when you do you'll be glad you're a Combat Medic, but your damage output will be respectable and your first companion is a DPS buddy so things die -fast-.

If you want to play Medic, play Medic. You won't be gimped in any way for questing.

And yes, you can respec.

After playing an Imperial Agent Operative in beta to the 30's, the Trooper Commando in comparison seems much easier to quest and kill. The AC just has a lot of firepower, and even when specced in Combat Medic, you can still melt some faces--especially once a minute with Mortar Volley.

The Smug/IA was a much more tactical class; whereas, the Trooper seems to be a in-your-face, get-the-job-done class. I'll probably miss the stealth and cover mechanics, though.

But, yes, the Combat Medic is plenty viable to level as.

It is very viable, because unlike other roles, you are not running around with a healer companion that spends half the battle healing you.

You manage the heals and can go all out DPS both of you, and quickly recover for the next group (or when YOU decide somebody needs a heal)

Syl

It is very viable, because unlike other roles, you are not running around with a healer companion that spends half the battle healing you.

you can always use the keybinds to set it up so you control when your companion heals, if their healing ai is annoying you ^_^

I took a trooper to 31/32 in the beta fully spec'd for healing. LOVED IT! Very doable. Could solo most of the heroic 2s with my companions.

The first companion works alright as a tank for awhile (heavy armor). 2nd companion is a healer. 3rd companion is a tank though and then you'll really love it. The two of you can dominate the enemy.

Healing pre-25 in FPs or for heroic 4 groups sucks. You need people that know what they are doing because your heals are pretty limited at that time. Lvls 25-27 help a lot. Lvls 30-34 are also a huge help.

You troopers don't know how lucky you are with companions. You get the full trinity before level 30. BH's start with a healer and don't get their next companion till after 30 and the tanks are the last two. Sucks leveling a BH healer.

Well i specced combat medic for a few lvls and it works well running around and questing etc.

but i can tell you this much. i ran Hammer head Station and i was about lvl 19 when i did it as combat medic and its not a easy thing to handle. i got the strong suspicion. that we are the weakest healer low level, we dont have any damage reduction skills or skills like that. you run out of the ammo for the healing propes FAST when if anything goes slightly amiss.

And if the players in the party dont pay attention on you making sure you dont have stuff on ya it can go south fast since you only have the cryo grenade to cc where in the Counsler have their lift and from what i understand and seen they can specc so it last for ages.

from what ive seen from our talents CM gets more viable as flashpoint / Ops healer later lvls or atleast past mid 20s.

this is just my opinion. from what ive experience so far, hope it helps.:p

Well i specced combat medic for a few lvls and it works well running around and questing etc.

but i can tell you this much. i ran Hammer head Station and i was about lvl 19 when i did it as combat medic and its not a easy thing to handle. i got the strong suspicion. that we are the weakest healer low level, we dont have any damage reduction skills or skills like that. you run out of the ammo for the healing propes FAST when if anything goes slightly amiss.

And if the players in the party dont pay attention on you making sure you dont have stuff on ya it can go south fast since you only have the cryo grenade to cc where in the Counsler have their lift and from what i understand and seen they can specc so it last for ages.

from what ive seen from our talents CM gets more viable as flashpoint / Ops healer later lvls or atleast past mid 20s.

this is just my opinion. from what ive experience so far, hope it helps.:p

Technically the weakest low level healer would be the scoundrel as the bulk of their healing abilities come from the skill trees unlike us (we're more of a blend). I've found with just the first two tiers of skills I have plenty of healing throughput, and while I agree we lack in the CC department that's hardly necessary. Building up charges and getting 10s of advanced medical probe spam is enough to survive any serious burst damage, should the need arise.

Technically the weakest low level healer would be the scoundrel as the bulk of their healing abilities come from the skill trees unlike us (we're more of a blend). I've found with just the first two tiers of skills I have plenty of healing throughput, and while I agree we lack in the CC department that's hardly necessary. Building up charges and getting 10s of advanced medical probe spam is enough to survive any serious burst damage, should the need arise.

Gotta agree with this post. The only issues that can arise in Hammer station is at the last boss if nobody is interrupting. Because we don't get an AoE heal until we are level 20 (kolto bomb). Other then that every should be ok. And do note that most off the tanks don't have all there tools yet either so their agro management is spotty at best as well.

lvl 41 CM here full healing tree

Use your tank companion properly and you will be OP in PvE leveling....Tanno Vik is my fave, but X1 is cool until Tanno. Just keep them geared.

You will laugh when you kill 2 elites in one fight....starting off with CC and making sure your companion don't AoE and break your CC.

Enjoy

Comming from a tank view... i have been running with my roomate a 37 combat medic. he has healed every one of our groups up to and including Taral V, at early levels its harder than say a consular to heal, however at early levels you get heavy armor and heavy damage its all balance really.

Requires some skill but as they develop i see no problem with them main healing higher level tiers. As for leveling... you will not have 1 problem leveling a trooper period.

Now to fully understand, if i roll medic i need to stack presence right? as this will buff my healing and companion?

Presence only buffs companions, healing is based off of power, which mostly comes from AIM (for troopers/BH) or + power

But leveling combat medic is easy (im 26), I just have jorgen (the first companion) out to pump up the DPS.

Edited by Basiliscus

Question for some other combat medics out there. What cell do you normally use while soloing? I've been using armor piercing mostly, but I was wondering if I should switch to plasma so I could also get High impact bolt procs. Edited by Basiliscus