The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

2.4 Changes to PT Feedback

Ottoattack

I played around 10 WZs or so yesterday on my PT. I speced both pyro and AP to see how the changes fair. The RS damage improvement is somewhere around 7-8%. I had a bonus damage of 1,423.

Pyro:

TD was putting damage in the mid 3K with no critic. The critic relic is a great boost for pyro, as many attacks are have surge bonuses. I felt I was a real threat to anyone I atked, which reminded me of the good old pre 2.0 days. Degsus is still useless, but KO override now improves survivability significantly. I was able to pull high damage in most WZs I played (between 800-1K) and, I felt in team play format, pyro can be deadly. My only gripe is now you have to either RP or IM the target every time you switch, as FB does not apply CGC 100%. IM damage now is pathetic, cuz not only they lowered the dot damage, but the base damage deals below 1K. Overall, I think pyro is competitive now, primarily because of the critic coming from the relic, paired with RS and TD buff. I managed to hit 7.5K RS multiple times.

AP:

As anticipated was solid. RB increased critic, RS increased damage and immolate significantly increased damage. Energy management was also better. Much more survivable than pyro, and has better sustained damage. PFT now slows the targets to death. If they can't interrupt you with CC or knock back they are screwed. I felt AP gained about 150 dps gain in WZs (I was avg. above 1K in AP games I played). On the flip side, not as effective taking out healers as pyro, but much harder to shutdown. Again, no surprise, you can switch to ion cannon for tanking, and with reduced heat of PFT, you can put high damage without significant heat problems. I pulled 917 dps and almost 750 pps in one arena round, guarding a healer.

Conclusion:

it still remain to be seen, but I think that both pyro and AP are competitive. AP is highly versatile, and pyro has good burst.

So which did you find stronger? How hard was immolate hitting? Is degauss really worthless? Also what kind of numbers did TD hit for and how is its burst better?

Both specs are stronger. Immolate hits between 7-7.5K when it critic. TD, 6-7K. Burst is better for pyro as RS and TD hit harder. For AP, surge bonuses to immolate and PFT.

I completely agree with this assessment.

Killing healers as an AP is an exercise in frustration. The DPS ramps up slower, and AP lacks the sweltering heat snares that pyro has. It's harder to keep a healer locked down to deliver the (slightly higher) close range burst with retractable blade and two stuns.

However pyro can melt them. Keep re applying triple DOTS with a rotation ( sure some get cleansed but not all every single time). Keep the HIB/rail shot up on every proc, and stack the crit stat and relic so that you get 45-50% crit rate on rail. Even OP healers melt with a little help.

I completely agree with this assessment.

Killing healers as an AP is an exercise in frustration. The DPS ramps up slower, and AP lacks the sweltering heat snares that pyro has. It's harder to keep a healer locked down to deliver the (slightly higher) close range burst with retractable blade and two stuns.

However pyro can melt them. Keep re applying triple DOTS with a rotation ( sure some get cleansed but not all every single time). Keep the HIB/rail shot up on every proc, and stack the crit stat and relic so that you get 45-50% crit rate on rail. Even OP healers melt with a little help.

So you went with crit relic? Wondering if I should lose the matrix cube.

been wondering about that to.. the crit looks kinda sexy but i wonder if the loss of aim is really worth it

anyone had the time to run some tests?

If you're worried about AIM, get the mainstat proc relic.

I didn't go with the crit relic yet, I still haven't figured out if it's worth it. They took out the elemental transcendence conqueror relic, and I'm still using that, because I'm sticking with AP. I'm just suggesting that pyros should stack RNG in their favor more for rail shot.

Why? The crit relic is subject to some serious diminishing returns around the 25% mark. It also procs 450 crit every 20 seconds or so. And lasts for what, another ten or fifteen?

The assault power relic is so great because power does not have a diminishing return.

In that time the elemental damage will proc every 4.5 seconds for a total of 6-7 times and do 200 damage per proc before crit. Elemental damage cannot be shielded or mitigated by armor, so it's worth twice that against tanks.

I'm not sure yet, but it might be that the old conqueror transcendence relic is BIS for AP, and also an unobtainable legacy item.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

I'd heard that the Mainstat Relic is better than the Crit Relic after some testing. I didn't do any of the testing or theorycrafting so that's all hearsay on my end. However, since PTs normally take the 9% mainstat boost, I'm currently using the mainstat relic.

I will add that some very good PvPers, including DRAMA from TOFN, believe that the Matrix Cube is still BiS. Again, I don't know, I'm not a theorycrafter. But right now for my AP PT I'm running 1 Ob. SA relic and 1 Ob. Mainstat relic.

I still don't think the 450 mainstat is as good as 200 elemental bonus damage every 4.5 seconds.

On an AP with so many elemental attacks (flame burst, PFT, flame sweep, immolate) every extra bit helps.

Edit: a lot of the really hardcore PVP crowd despise RNG.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

I still don't think the 450 mainstat is as good as 200 elemental bonus damage every 4.5 seconds.

On an AP with so many elemental attacks (flame burst, PFT, flame sweep, immolate) every extra bit helps.

I do agree, but 425 critic for 6 sec every 20 sec is not so much RNG. It actually translates to 127.5 critic, considering that the proc is highly controllable, especially with dots. Considering that both pyro and AP have surge bonuses on biggest hitters, it is much better than any other relic, aside from serendipitous assault.

The main stats though is a waste, especially due to its long CD.

Oh trust me, even the casual PvE/PvP'r hates RNG as well.

One 7 minute parse has my HiB @ 3786 avg dmg 15% crit...the next (7min) has HiB @ 4521 avg dmg 34.92% crit.

Of course, when I get poor HiB crits, my IP crits 40+%, and when I get 35% HiB crits, my IP crit is 32%.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!!

Both specs are stronger. Immolate hits between 7-7.5K when it critic. TD, 6-7K. Burst is better for pyro as RS and TD hit harder. For AP, surge bonuses to immolate and PFT.

I have personally only rolled Shield Tech and AP so far since 2.4. Right now my PT is 8 Obroan/2 Conq/4 Part. His top Immolate Crit was last night at 7642. Also had a tick on PFT yesterday for 4100. Am taking Healers down with ease.

The above is in Regz and SRAs. In GSAs, my PT's stats are significantly different because he's in Ion Cell.

I plan to run Assault/Pyro exclusively on my Vanguard to really soak up those changes.

My only negative regarding AP is the fact that it's nearly impossible to get off a full PFT when playing opponents with more than half a brain. When you do get that opportunity to line peeps up and go full cone though, it is glorious.

Edited by DarthOvertone

My only negative regarding AP is the fact that it's nearly impossible to get off a full PFT when playing opponents with more than half a brain. When you do get that opportunity to line peeps up and go full cone though, it is glorious.

Thats the only downside to AP, your biggest damage AOE is hard to pull off.

What's funny, a guild mate of mine who used to love AP went pyro, and I've switched AP.

I'll admit, the pyro change to sweltering heat isn't that bad. It's a six second slow, which cut the roll distance of OP healers in half. You can apply it with both RP and to an entire group with flame sweep, which is nice in arenas.

Incendiary missile is a spammable part of your rotation now, which works out better because you can keep the DOT up 100% of the time.

Thermal det hits in the sixes, and rail shot in the sevens. It's a competitive spec, I'm just having more fun as an AP.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

There are only three tank classes and PT is one of them.

I haven't seen really any thing in the 2.4 modifications that have an impact on the tank aspect of PT, which is really sad.

Every one that do FPs and OPs can see that us, tanks, are not really well represented to the point that I'm constantly asked is I'm available to join another guild and be part of a roster. Yet, nothing is done to make the tank role more appealing (in terms of fun mostly, a bit in terms of leveling, a bit in terms of efficiency, like a bit more damage output that would help leveling and managing aggro (even if this point is not very hard for a PT)).

There was an opportunity for the concepters to do something to make PT tanks (the rarer of the tanks) more interesting or fun to play. Nothing done except the KO that is now 35% instead of 30% (and doesn't change the fact that when you trigger it, it generally means the fight is looking bad).

We are still the tanks with the least CDs, with the least internal resistances (and with half the 55 ops that have a high internal damage profile, bad for us) and with the least specific tanking role (no stealth, no specific mate protections, nothing the oher tanks can't do better).

So, in summary, I can just see that since the majority of people play DPS, the majority of players can have modifications implemented to help them and the minority have almost nothing.

This will just have the logical effect to have the minority even more decrease to the point where the DPS will have difficulties to find skilled tanks in ops.

Now, if DPS can help us tanks be heard by devs, it would smooth a bit the issues I can see in HL : too much DPS and too few tanks.

Or not. That's not really a problem for me : I just have to be ready around 9PM in the evening, say which OP I on't have a tag on and can be picked up in almost complete guild composed groups in OPs.

Like last saturday were I've done 4 ops in a row.

AP is VERY strong now.

Some damage crits I've seen while playing:

Immolate - 8.7k

Flamethrower (w/ 3 stacks) - 5.5k per tick

Shoulder Cannon - 3.3k

Rocket Punch - 7.1k (lolwut)

Rail Shot - 6.9k

Granted the stars must have aligned when I got these numbers (hitting a pve sage, power proc relic, expertise buff, etc...) but its still very strong with great survivability. Honestly, I didn't even think AP needed buffs but we got them. The pyro buffs were needed though. I just can't seem to play it anymore as its still mind numbing.

AP is VERY strong now.

Some damage crits I've seen while playing:

Immolate - 8.7k

Flamethrower (w/ 3 stacks) - 5.5k per tick

Shoulder Cannon - 3.3k

Rocket Punch - 7.1k (lolwut)

Rail Shot - 6.9k

Granted the stars must have aligned when I got these numbers (hitting a pve sage, power proc relic, expertise buff, etc...) but its still very strong with great survivability. Honestly, I didn't even think AP needed buffs but we got them. The pyro buffs were needed though. I just can't seem to play it anymore as its still mind numbing.

I know i'm being a noob but what is AP and does anyone have a spec to follow again thanks in advance :) I have not played my PT since it got nerfed into the ground

Edited by ukrob