Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them on or off

Krull-

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me give just a few examples where chat bubbles could be helpful.

This is not by any means a complete list...just a few examples.

1) I am fighting mobs, but I don't need the quest item in front of me. Another player approaches. It looks like they need it and are waiting. I finish killing the mobs, and then tell them in chat they can have the node.

They stand there.

I use /say to tell them...and they still stand there looking at me, looking at the quest item.

I then send them a tell...probably should have done this first. Still nothing. I then walk away. A chat bubble would have instantly told them "take it, I dont need it".

2) I am in an instance with a group. I am healing people. There are buttloads of mobs in my face. I mean lots of mobs...many mobs is the point I'm making. One of my fellow players is getting hammered, and he is out of range....I try to move closer to get in range, no dice.

I try to find him, talk in chat...."where are you? I can't heal you, your going to die".

"where are you, I don't see you"

"just move closer to me"

"I dont know where you are"

"I have a star on my head"

"wait, ill put an icon on your head"

Well, I know where you are now....dead on the floor. You were right next to me...but you were behind a crate.

3) I get a whisper...or tell...whatever it is called.

"hey, do you want this?"

"what?" I say, "do I want what?"

"do you want this mob...."

"what mob are you talking about" I reply.

"this one right here"

"where is here? I don't see what you mean".

Then I see someone jump up and down. Right in front of me.

"ah, I see you now. Yea, sure, thanks."

Chat bubbles bring FOCUS to gameplay. They center the statement over the person that makes it, to be seen instantly by those it is directed at. Especially useful in situations where quick thinking and decisions are required, it can also have value in ordinary game exchanges.

We are not longer puppets...we now speak. And that speech comes from us. Not from a box that sits in the corner of the screen that I have to match to a name.

THAT is the value of chat bubbles. And remember...this is just a few examples. There are many more.

Chat bubbles are fine as long as they can be toggled off and don't cause a performance hit for those that don't want the chat bubbles.

Unfortunately from what I understand chat bubbles were a huge performance hit even if they were turned off.

I wonder if they could open an instance on a separate server where you could go to get chat bubbles for the people to RP while they get them working/polished (assuming that they are working on them at all).

For the record, I turn off chat bubbles in every game I play - they are too distracting to me and I usually don't have any problems following the chat window when I am interested. :)

Guess people still try to forget that we have been told multiple times that chat bubbles are not happening due to the lag that would be produced.

BioWare never said that chat bubbles are not happening. However, any update from BioWare to put this issue to rest would be nice.

I believe that's the whole problem. We don't have any concrete information pertaining to this. Is it happening or not ?

A large amount of players want a cartoon world full of chat bubbles? Have you ever played a game that has them in them? I've played some f2p games that had them and hated them. They were horrible. They take away from the game experience and I am glad that they are not part of the game. Don't ask which ones because I don't keep track of the f2p that I have played as I would switch games a lot when I played them.

Here I am a subscriber.

They are NOT for roleplaying. I also seriously doubt that a large part of the player base left because there were no chat bubbles and you cannot prove that they left for lack of them and that people are leaving as they are not here. I will call you out on this missing feature that you want. You have no way to prove that a "large" base of players want this just as I have no way to say that a "large" number of players don't want this. Although the majority of people responding don't care for it.

They only work at a limited range as you need to be a certain distance to see someone and the chat bubble above them.

If they were to added to appease a small player base then they better darn well make it an option to turn them off. The devs have already answered as they have not put them in. They may not have said anything but they don't have to.

Actually Bioware said they are happening in the future, they just want to do them right. At least that was the last word on the issue.

They pulled them because they were not operating properly....nameplates had the same problem. They managed to fix the nameplates for the most part.

I would imagine it is likely we will see some kind of chat bubble implementation at some point in the future.

Oh they do...

It's just a higher quality experience with chat bubbles because it allows you soak up the RP atmosphere and doesn't force you have to try and keep up with everything that's going on in the chat box.

Driz

Pure garbage. All you are saying is a matter of opinion. I have played games with them and hated them. You have a large amount of people in one area and the entire place is full of them.

I have had a better time with teamspeak then with chat bubbles. I like having the chat box as it keeps the screen from being cluttered with chat balloons.

Pure garbage. All you are saying is a matter of opinion. I have played games with them and hated them. You have a large amount of people in one area and the entire place is full of them.

I have had a better time with teamspeak then with chat bubbles. I like having the chat box as it keeps the screen from being cluttered with chat balloons.

And that is why, if we do end up having them they absolutely need to have the option of turning them off. I would bet for every one person that likes them there is at least one person that doesn't.

Let me give just a few examples where chat bubbles could be helpful.

This is not by any means a complete list...just a few examples.

1) I am fighting mobs, but I don't need the quest item in front of me. Another player approaches. It looks like they need it and are waiting. I finish killing the mobs, and then tell them in chat they can have the node.

They stand there.

I use /say to tell them...and they still stand there looking at me, looking at the quest item.

I then send them a tell...probably should have done this first. Still nothing. I then walk away. A chat bubble would have instantly told them "take it, I dont need it".

2) I am in an instance with a group. I am healing people. There are buttloads of mobs in my face. I mean lots of mobs...many mobs is the point I'm making. One of my fellow players is getting hammered, and he is out of range....I try to move closer to get in range, no dice.

I try to find him, talk in chat...."where are you? I can't heal you, your going to die".

"where are you, I don't see you"

"just move closer to me"

"I dont know where you are"

"I have a star on my head"

"wait, ill put an icon on your head"

Well, I know where you are now....dead on the floor. You were right next to me...but you were behind a crate.

3) I get a whisper...or tell...whatever it is called.

"hey, do you want this?"

"what?" I say, "do I want what?"

"do you want this mob...."

"what mob are you talking about" I reply.

"this one right here"

"where is here? I don't see what you mean".

Then I see someone jump up and down. Right in front of me.

"ah, I see you now. Yea, sure, thanks."

Chat bubbles bring FOCUS to gameplay. They center the statement over the person that makes it, to be seen instantly by those it is directed at. Especially useful in situations where quick thinking and decisions are required, it can also have value in ordinary game exchanges.

We are not longer puppets...we now speak. And that speech comes from us. Not from a box that sits in the corner of the screen that I have to match to a name.

THAT is the value of chat bubbles. And remember...this is just a few examples. There are many more.

Those are WONDERFUL examples of why Chat Bubbles would be so Helpful. Many times I've been addressing someone in the game world only to be ignored due to the fact they don't see where I am right away.

It's been two years, this is not going to happen.

Already been addressed as a technical issue and after two years I would say its a wash.

Time to find something else since this and sitting in chairs have been addressed

It's been two years, this is not going to happen.

Already been addressed as a technical issue and after two years I would say its a wash.

Time to find something else since this and sitting in chairs have been addressed

They fixed the name tags lagging the game out , so yes they can fix the chat bubbles lagging the game out , thanks for your opinion though on the subject. You are right about the chairs though , the ones on peoples ships have a bad bug and thus no one will ever be able to sit in all those chairs scattered around the planets.

I was going to double post but decided to edit. Referring to a poster above me giving examples of how useful chat bubbles can be. I was on Oricon last night on my tank with a DPS friend , we queued up for HM fp's whilst doing the story on Oricon. Now we got into a FP , whilst being in the middle of nowhere , so when we returned after the FP. We weren't right next to each other , a gold guy was walking towards me and my friend had left the group to then group up again with me. i shouted on a microphone , come help , invite me , they replied i haven't got you on my list , I was a little upset at that and they couldn't spell my name quickly enough. So I asked if they could come help , but they didn't know were to look for me. I took a break for a few mins and obviously knew I would die. I invited them whilst been dead and then saw them on the map but to my horror there location on the main map and mini map were totally different. So I asked again come towards me , they couldn't so I ragged quitted. Until another day. If we had chat bubbles I could have worked out were to go to get back next to them.

Cheers,

BadOrb.